What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Working Girl -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

The late Mike Nichols' (it truly hurts to write that) Working Girl, is about as far from a standard, run of the mill rom-com that one can get.

For one thing, it's Mike Nichols.  Another, it's based on a great screenplay by Kevin Wade.  It just works on all levels.

I recall Roger Ebert's original review of it, and his works lay it out very accurately, so go here:

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/working-girl-1988

The new Blu-ray from Fox is everything that one might even consider to ask for.

A beautifully resolved, steady image, with great color, blacks, shadow detail, and a patina of original grain that forcefully mimics viewing an original negative print.

This Blu-ray is as good as it gets.  What is one the film, is now on your screen.

Great film.  Great disc.  While I suggesting visiting the Ebert site, here's a graph for those who don't like to click.

"The plot of “Working Girl” is put together like clockwork.  It carries you along while you’re watching it, but reconstruct it later and you’ll see the craftsmanship.  Kevin Wade’s screenplay is sort of underhanded in the way it diverts us with laughs, and with a melodramatic subplot involving Griffith’s former boyfriend, while all the time it’s winding up for the suspenseful climax.

By the time we get to the last scenes, the movie plays like a thriller, and that’s all the more effective because we weren’t exactly bracing for that.

“Working Girl” is Nichols returning to the top of his form, and Griffith finding hers." - Roger Ebert

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended.

RAH

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
One of my favorite comedies of the '80s, along with Sidney Pollack's "Tootsie"...been enjoying "Working GIrl" along with my Criterion Edition BD of the latter for the past several weeks, thanks to Amazon Prime...glad you found Fox's restoration work of this Mike Nichols gem worthy of his genius, Robert... :thumbsup:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I miss Gene Siskel.

CHICAGO TRIBUNE
By Gene Siskel
Griffith gives the fullest performance of her career; Weaver, the most likable, even though she's the villain of the piece. Michael Nichols directs his best film in years. [23 Dec 1988]

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Watched it last night. Nichols was/is one of the great ones. A very enjoyable experience. Great transfer and bit rate in the 30s resolving the grain nicely. It's a light weight Nichols for sure but a real Nichols. Weaver as villain with charm is interesting casting. Her exit from the picture is classy. Then we have the rather mean final zoom shot (that is very Nichols), the hilarious Joan Cusack with hairdo and make up to match, cokehead Spacey with one scene and of course the lead couple that does not disappoint. Also quite unusual how long it takes for the top billed actor to enter the picture (32 minutes). Ford and Nichols also did "Regarding Henry" which is still missing on BD. Hope it comes soon. I have fond memories of that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks