What's new

Far From The Madding Crowd (1967) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

122374_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
It may be for pre order but when is it coming out? It could be April- May before we see this title?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
We often don't know the release date for Warner Archive Blu-rays until a week out. Sometimes not until the day of. I doubt it comes out any later than Feb.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Looking forward to this one. Ordered via your link. This will be an expensive spring with the new musical boxed set that includes THE BAND WAGON, KISS ME KATE, and CALAMITY JANE, this title, and hopefully MY FAIR LADY.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Jim*Tod said:
Looking forward to this one. Ordered via your link. This will be an expensive spring with the new musical boxed set that includes THE BAND WAGON, KISS ME KATE, and CALAMITY JANE, this title, and hopefully MY FAIR LADY.
Don't forget Warner's new blu-ray release of the Frank Sinatra Collection, which includes, ANCHORS AWEIGH, ON THE TOWN & ROBIN & THE 7 HOODS...

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
lukejosephchung said:
Don't forget Warner's new blu-ray release of the Frank Sinatra Collection, which includes, ANCHORS AWEIGH, ON THE TOWN & ROBIN & THE 7 HOODS...
Feb 10.--FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Brandon Conway said:
We often don't know the release date for Warner Archive Blu-rays until a week out. Sometimes not until the day of. I doubt it comes out any later than Feb.
Brandon Conway said:
FEB 10

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Don't know what to do know. Just saw on another site that FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD is being released in Britain on April 27 (my birthday so perhaps a portent). It is apparently a new digital restoration supervised by the cinematographer Nicholas Roeg. So it sounds like this is a different source than the one Warner Archives is releasing this week. Anybody know anything else to confirm one way or another if they are two separate versions?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
GlennF said:
Don't know what to do know. Just saw on another site that FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD is being released in Britain on April 27 (my birthday so perhaps a portent). It is apparently a new digital restoration supervised by the cinematographer Nicholas Roeg. So it sounds like this is a different source than the one Warner Archives is releasing this week. Anybody know anything else to confirm one way or another if they are two separate versions?
I, of course, got the US Blu-ray from Warners the day it came out. I saw the film five or six times in its 70mm blow up here in Los Angeles at the Wilshire Theater. I loved the movie, the score, the actors - everything, but especially Nicholas Roeg's amazing photography. No home video release has come within a country mile of even hinting at that amazing photography. The Warner Blu, while not exactly terrible, just wasn't very good - nothing was sharp enough, color was a little boosted and the contrast was a little harsh - and it was obvious it was not from any original element, but some kind of IP or whatever.

So, I was looking forward to viewing the UK Blu-ray and it arrived today and I can safely say that it is an incredible transfer, one of the best I've ever seen. Everything looks as it should - detail is superb (lots of soft focus and diffusion on Ms. Christie), and the color is astoundingly perfect. And the sound, which is tinny and ugly on the Warners, is here full-bodied and stunning, making Richard Rodney Bennett's score really sound gorgeous - but the entire mix is much more present and wonderful. This is highly recommended by the likes of me. Finally this lovely film gets the treatment it so deserves - a 4K transfer off the original negative. Much love has gone into this. Yes, it's missing about a minute of violent cock-fighting footage, which is fine by me. Some guy on another forum refuses to purchase it because of those cuts as he doesn't care about the leap in quality only that minute of footage. No overture here either, and I'm fine with that, too, as I can't even listen to the overture on the Warners disc because the sound is so wretchedly awful.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Is this UK blu ray region locked? I bought the American blu ray and was disappointed. Certainly better than the dvd but not as much as I would have liked... the sound in particular was weak.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I am glad to hear that the region 2 version sounds like the one to own. I love the film and passed on the Warner version after hearing of this Nicholas Roeg approved transfer. My preorder shipped and I am awaiting its arrival.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Jim*Tod said:
Is this UK blu ray region locked? I bought the American blu ray and was disappointed. Certainly better than the dvd but not as much as I would have liked... the sound in particular was weak.
Box says region B - haven't tried it in my other machine to see if it plays in A.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks