What's new

Duet (1987-1989) (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duet_%28TV_series%29

Does anyone remember when the FOX network had Duet (1987-1989)? It had been a minor success, but it never really shined when in syndication.

(season 2 intro, late 1987)

I wish CBS Studios would license this title to Shout! Factory for a DVD release.

And for those who care, the Paramount TV logo at the end on the season 1 episodes is the filmed version (with registered trademark symbol) with the 1982 Lalo Schifrin music playing.

~Ben

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Alison La Placa is referred to by some as a "Female "Ted McGinley" (don't really know why).

I know McGinley is often referred to as a "Shark-Jumping actor", though.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
ClassicTVMan1981X said:
Does anyone remember when the FOX network had Duet (1987-1989)? It had been a minor success, but it never really shined when in syndication.

I wish CBS Studios would license this title to Shout! Factory for a DVD release.

Duet was my favorite of the original group of Sunday night Fox shows back when that network debuted. (Tracey Ullman's show, also not yet released on DVD, was the other show I really liked from that early group of shows.)

I thought the 1st 2 seasons were strong while the 3rd season was weaker. I then liked the transformation into Open House the next year, except I didn't like how they dumbed down Laura somewhat to fit into the new setting. I do wish OH had gotten a 2nd year, as it was getting better as the season progressed.

I know that Duet/Open House showed up in reruns on Lifetime for a little while in the 90s before disappearing completely.

I'd certainly buy a set of the full 4 years, but unfortunately I doubt we'll ever see a release as it seems like a forgotten show.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
ClassicTVMan1981X said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duet_%28TV_series%29

(season 2 intro, late 1987)

And for those who care, the Paramount TV logo at the end on the season 1 episodes is the filmed version (with registered trademark symbol) with the 1982 Lalo Schifrin music playing.

~Ben

Are you certain that the Paramount logo has the 1982 jingle? I was just looking at the end credits of one Season 1 episode of Duet from YouTube, and while Paramount's Blue Mtn. is filmed and does have the registered trademark symbol, the music I heard on it sounds more 1981-ish to me (as would be seen and heard on Family Ties).

Go to around the 7:26 mark of this clip and hear for yourself:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Dave Lawrence said:
Duet was my favorite of the original group of Sunday night Fox shows back when that network debuted. (Tracey Ullman's show, also not yet released on DVD, was the other show I really liked from that early group of shows.)

I thought the 1st 2 seasons were strong while the 3rd season was weaker. I then liked the transformation into Open House the next year, except I didn't like how they dumbed down Laura somewhat to fit into the new setting. I do wish OH had gotten a 2nd year, as it was getting better as the season progressed.

I know that Duet/Open House showed up in reruns on Lifetime for a little while in the 90s before disappearing completely.

I'd certainly buy a set of the full 4 years, but unfortunately I doubt we'll ever see a release as it seems like a forgotten show.

I never watched a single episode of Duet, but I did watch the whole season of the spin-off, Open House. I'm guessing the reason for watching the latter was knowing Nick Tate (of Space: 1999) was joining the cast.

Speaking of "forgotten" Fox shows, I wouldn't mind to see Herman's Head turn up again, either on DVD or syndication!

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
bmasters9 said:
Are you certain that the Paramount logo has the 1982 jingle? I was just looking at the end credits of one Season 1 episode of Duet from YouTube, and while Paramount's Blue Mtn. is filmed and does have the registered trademark symbol, the music I heard on it sounds more 1981-ish to me (as would be seen and heard on Family Ties).

Go to around the 7:26 mark of this clip and hear for yourself:

I did, and I heard no chimes, only horns and drums. The '81 jingle had the chimes (and harp) mixed in.

1981 version:

1982 version:

~Ben

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
AndyMcKinney said:
I never watched a single episode of Duet, but I did watch the whole season of the spin-off, Open House. I'm guessing the reason for watching the latter was knowing Nick Tate (of Space: 1999) was joining the cast.

Speaking of "forgotten" Fox shows, I wouldn't mind to see Herman's Head turn up again, either on DVD or syndication!

Yeah, Herman's Head was another fun "forgotten" Fox show. It may not have been the greatest, but I liked that, as a young network, Fox was open to trying different concepts and sticking with them for longer than 2 or 3 episodes before pulling the plug.

For awhile, I almost expected to see a DVD of at least Open House, if not both OH and Duet, since OH could be promoted as a chance to see Ellen's early TV work. But at this point, I don't expect to see either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks