What's new

Still no word on "The Colby's" or "Dynasty: The Reunion"? (1 Viewer)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
CBS really needs to get these series out, especially "The Colbys", since stories on Seasons 6 and 7 of "Dynasty" actually mingled with plots from "The Colbys" and vice-versa.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Byron I believe it will come out. I will keep hold a good thought for it. I have a very good friend who wants the movie and the two season Colbys

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
This would likely depend on how well the Dynasty releases did. If they sold great then there might be a chance that The Colbys & The Reunion might see the light of day. However, if Dynasty only had middling sales then don't hold your breath for anything else to come out. Neither The Colbys or The Reunion ever came close to the quality of the early Dynasty seasons. People who haven't seen the spinoffs aren't missing much.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Interestingly enough, I never swore to Dynasty much (I preferred Dallas) but I did like The Colbys for some reason. It was nice to see Charlton Heston and Katharine Ross there.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
You can't have too much Sable, and she only did about 15 episodes of Dynasty. Colbys had its ups and downs but generally it was pretty good and I'd like to have it, and the Reunion just to cap off the series.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
For completeness sake I really need "The Colbys". I think Dominique had a substantial plot on "Colbys" (during a time when she was really just hovering in the background on "Dynasty"); and I'd love to see the Miles/Fallon/Jeff triangle, which is set up during Season 6 of "Dynasty", play out. Youtube once had the entire series uploaded but I think it was taken down.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Byron how right you are!! I still think we shall see this show come to home video. The last years of Dallas were not highly rated and they complete it with the movies. Why not the Colbys and the movie? I think it will happen.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
From your lips to whoever's ears, Mark. Until then, I'll have to satisfy myself with the 2-parter "Titans" episode from Season 6 of "Dynasty".

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
At this point, it's hard to say if the post-series movie and The Colbys will ever be released on dvd.

If the sales were crappy for the last several Dynasty dvd season sets (ie. season 8 and 9), it probably wouldn't be surprising if CBS/Paramount ends up releasing a complete series set possibly with the post-series movie, largely as an easy way to clear out old inventory.

One way to further "sweeten" such a (hypothetical) Dynasty complete series set, would be to include both The Colbys season sets and post-series movie as exclusive bonuses. (ie. A possible way to get people to "double dip").

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Albeit flimsy, this is based on a few past precedents of CBS/Paramount releasing complete series sets.

IIRC, the Wild Wild West and MacGyver complete series sets had exclusive bonus discs which included these shows' respective post-series movies. (The MacGyver movies were eventually released as an individual dvd title many years later. Dunno about Wild Wild West).

More recently there are a bunch of CBS/Paramount shows being (re-)released as complete series sets, such as:

April 7, 2015

- MacGyver

- The Brady Bunch

- Frasier

- Matlock

March 10, 2015

- Gomer Pyle

December 9, 2014

- Mork and Mindy

November 11, 2014

- Charmed

- The Tudors

- Family Ties

- Taxi

- Beauty & The Beast

November 4, 2014

- Reno 911

If CBS/Paramount is doing this to clear out old inventory, perhaps complete series sets for other CBS/Paramount shows might be in the works such as: 7th Heaven, Dynasty, Cheers, Walker Texas Ranger, Medium, Touched By An Angel, Melrose Place, Beverly Hills 90210, Numb3rs, Laverne & Shirley, Ghost Whisperer, etc ... (With the exception of Laverne & Shirley and Mork & Mindy, these tv shows' dvd season sets are typically regular fodder in the local dvd bargain bins).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Another thing which might possibly be holding back a dvd release of The Colbys, is that an HD transfer has not been made yet.

According to the CBS syndication bible, only seasons 2 to 9 of Dynasty have HD transfers. But The Colbys and season 1 of Dynasty do not have any HD transfers (yet). (No word on whether the post-series movie has an HD transfer).

http://syndicationbible.cbstvd.com/series/dynasty/dynasty.htm

http://syndicationbible.cbstvd.com/series/the_colbys/colbys.htm

The question is whether Aaron Spelling's estate and/or CBS is planning on doing any HD transfers for The Colbys and season 1 of Dynasty.

Most of Aaron Spelling's other CBS owned shows have not had any HD transfers made, such as: Beverly Hills 90210, 7th Heaven, Melrose Place, Charmed, etc ... For that matter, many CBS/Paramount shows have already been released on dvd which did not have any HD transfers, such as MacGyver, Matlock, etc ...

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
There has been a complete series box of "Cheers" released in the UK and Australia. Seeing that "Frasier" is soon to be released as a complete box, I anticipate "Cheers" to certainly follow.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
classicmovieguy said:
I'd happily double-dip if a 'Complete Series' set was to include "The Colbys" and "The Reunion".

A (hypothetical) Dynasty complete series dvd set would have to be compelling enough for someone to "double dip" on it. Though I strongly suspect including just the post-series movie alone, would probably not be compelling enough for a "double dip".

But including The Colbys and the post-series movie as exclusive bonuses, might be compelling enough for a "double dip". (Even if The Colbys and Dynasty post-series movie are not from HD transfers).

For other CBS/Paramount tv shows which released complete series dvd sets, so far I didn't find any of them compelling enough to "double dip" on.

For example, I didn't think it was worthwhile to "double dip" on the MacGyver complete series set just for the post-series movies bonus disc. (Eventually this bonus disc was released seperately as the "MacGyver tv movies" dvd).

Another example is the Hawaii Five-O complete series set, which featured an exclusive remastered season 10 set which used a better quality transfer than the first dvd version of the season 10 season set. The first dvd version of season 10 had rather lackluster video quality.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/327296-phe-press-release-hawaii-five-o-the-complete-series/

In spite of the remastered season 10, I didn't think it was compelling enough to "double dip" on the entire Hawaii Five-O series.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Wait a minute- are we even sure that CBS owns "The Colbys"? Wasn't it syndicated in reruns through Warners?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The show is a Spelling property owned by CBS/Paramount. Other Spelling titles like Fantasy Island are owned by Sony/Columbia.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Jack P said:
The show is a Spelling property owned by CBS/Paramount. Other Spelling titles like Fantasy Island are owned by Sony/Columbia.

To be more specific, all Spelling/Goldberg titles (S.W.A.T., Rookies, Charlie's Angels, Starsky and Hutch, Fantasy Island) are owned by Sony. All other Spelling titles (Love Boat, Vega$, Dynasty, Hotel, The Colbys) are owned by CBS Paramount.

In other words, what Jack said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks