What's new

Tell me about Costco and their Blu-ray selection and prices (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have been a member of BJ's Wholesale Club for as long

as I can remember.

Never bought Blu-rays from them, because quite frankly,

their selection was pretty crappy.

Decided to leave BJs and join Costco, since they have a

warehouse about two miles further down the road.

When I walked into Costco and found their Blu-ray selection

area, I was pretty amazed. It was last Monday, and already

they had On Golden Pond out on the floor (which was to be

officially streeted the next day). The price was a few dollars

cheaper than Amazon, to boot.

Even more amazing was that they had recent Criterion

releases for $19.95 apiece. These are titles that cost at least

$27.95 on Amazon. I picked up Tootsie at a steal.

I have read on this forum over and over about great Costco

finds on Blu-rays. Would love to hear your experiences with

Costco over the past years so I have an idea of what to look

forward to.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Any time I go to Costco (usually every Saturday), I always check the home video section. I have gotten several Criterions Blus for $19.95 as well. During the holidays they had several of the Warner Box O'Junk Blu-ray special editions for around $25. Mine had Singin' in the Rain, GWTW and Casablanca. I have also seen good deals on complete TV shows on DVD. One day, I saw the complete McMillan and Wife for $29.95. Wasn't sure I wanted it. the wife said she would love to revisit that show. But the next weekend, they were sold out. So, if you see something you may want, better snap it up.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Ron, you made a great decision to join Costco. IMHO, it's the best of the wholesale clubs.

Their selection and prices for blu-ray discs in my area, NE Ohio, has been very good uniformly. I picked up the Holiday Inn blu after Thanksgiving for only $9.99 plus tax, of course.They have had a nice selection of Criterions and other recent releases.

I think you'll be pleased overall.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Best purchase of my life was getting the big bluray boxset of Lawrence of Arabia at CostCo for around $40 less than MSRP.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Just don't go expecting to find all the new releases every week. It's very hit-and-miss regarding what they will choose to carry. But when they do choose a to carry a title, it is usually cheaper than anybody else. Sometimes they will break street date and put titles out early and sometimes new titles won't hit their shelves until weeks after they street. Completely unpredictable.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
I too like Costco and visit them every week. Agree with the comments above. However, at least here in San Juan, I've seen a title released a day or a week before the street date, only to have them tell me at checkout that they couldn't sell it because it was put out in the bins by mistake and that the cash register wouldn't allow it to be sold. At least here they also have a good selection of British TV series at decent prices.

.... and also their wine selection is pretty decent and at good prices. :)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Selection of BDs is VERY region dependent and seasonal. You'll find they bring in a lot of box sets for the holidays and tend to stock new releases and recently discounted titles frequently. That's how I was able to get one of the IMAX 3D titles dirt cheap. Worth checking out as often as you're in Costco.

Tama

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tama
I remember picking up a prime rib roast a few years back at Cosco and finding they had the then recently release Fox films How Green Was Your Valley, Gentleman's Agreement, and Wild River for 8.99 each or something like that.

Also scored on a trip there once with Woody Allen films Manhattan, Annie Hall, and Hannah and Her Sisters for a like wise price.

My Darling Clementine has been the only Criterion titles I've picked up there.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
The Costcos around here are drastically cutting back on the floor space devoted to video. I used to routinely go there on Tuesday evenings to pick up the new releases but now I don't make any special trips because the selection is so spotty compared to years past. But I did see IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT and TOOTSIE there last weekend. If I hadn't gotten them during the B&N sale, I would have jumped on them. As it was, I got BOYHOOD and one other title.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The 8-film Spielberg collection set on Blu for $69

The Granada Sherlock Holmes Film Collection (Jeremy Brett) on Blu for $22 (4 films).

Harold and Maude Criterion Blu for $19

The pickings have gotten slimmer over the years, though, and virtually no CDs anymore. It's basically new popular releases, box sets (that have perennial value year in year out), and the odd Criterion.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Last weekend picked up Sophie's Choice, The Boy's From Brazil & On Golden Pond for under $15 ea and the week before I got Rashomon (Criterion) for under $20

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I've been a Costco member since the mid-80s, Ron...I do 90% of my grocery shopping there and they have the best video selection, including BD's, of all the major wholesale club chains, IMO...welcome to the membership!!! :thumbs-up-smiley:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Their selection is a joke. I used to try to buy there, but it was so messed up, I couldn't find anything, DVDs, BDs all mixed together, and the space getting smaller and smaller. I do some shopping there still.

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Grady
It's the luck-of-the-draw if you find anything. The best thing are the Criterion blu-rays they rotate out. I did get the WKRP box set at a VERY reasonable price. I wouldn't get a Costco membership solely for the movie selection, but it is a nice perk.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
It depends on the store-my nearest store has downsized their movie section to less than half of what it was. The next nearest store still has a movie section three times larger. Still I find good/great deals to be had.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
John Sparks said:
Their selection is a joke. I used to try to buy there, but it was so messed up, I couldn't find anything, DVDs, BDs all mixed together, and the space getting smaller and smaller. I do some shopping there still.

Last Saturday I swung by the video section and was disturbed to see that it had been reduced by about half. Dunno if this is permanent or not. Maybe they are just clearing out holiday stuff. I was at Sam's recently, and most of their stock is DVD these days.

I joined Costco for the other products they sell, so I will keep my membership there regardless. I still have a Sam's membership but almost never go there anymore. I can practically walk to Sam's but prefer to drive the 7 miles or so to Costco. Not only do I prefer Costco's selection of foods, wines and sundries, but their checkout speed is legendary. I can be the 6th guy in line at Costco and still get checked out faster than if I were the 2nd guy in line at Sam's. Usually, they have me checked out before I finish entering my PIN # at the checkout screen. It's the one store where long lines do not deter me at all.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
David_B_K said:
Last Saturday I swung by the video section and was disturbed to see that it had been reduced by about half. Dunno if this is permanent or not. Maybe they are just clearing out holiday stuff. I was at Sam's recently, and most of their stock is DVD these days.

I joined Costco for the other products they sell, so I will keep my membership there regardless. I still have a Sam's membership but almost never go there anymore. I can practically walk to Sam's but prefer to drive the 7 miles or so to Costco. Not only do I prefer Costco's selection of foods, wines and sundries, but their checkout speed is legendary. I can be the 6th guy in line at Costco and still get checked out faster than if I were the 2nd guy in line at Sam's. Usually, they have me checked out before I finish entering my PIN # at the checkout screen. It's the one store where long lines do not deter me at all.

Very true regarding checkout, but that's because Costco has a reputation for an excellent work environment and takes good care of their employees. Their cashiers are paid VERY well for that position, so as a company they attract more intelligent/diligent employees overall. Our Costco has been open since 2002 and many of the cashiers are the same ones who opened the store. I've observed in-house promotions over the last 13 years as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks