What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Jean de Florette & Manon of the Spring -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

​The great French novelist, playwright and filmmaker Marcel Pagnol, created some superb works.  The Baker's Wife is a favorite.  Fanny, Marius, Cesar, The Well-digger's Daughter...

But as films, projected in America, they all shared a unique problem (aside from some early poor subtitle translations, which lost all humor).

I cannot count how many long discussions took place in kitchens.

With tables center bottom frame, covered with what I presume were red and white checked tablecloths.

​And in those days before drop shadows for titles, and even more problematic, with 16mm high contrast dupes derived from prints, it was quite difficult to understand what was actually being discussed.  Things looked like a black & white scrabble board, with letters missing.

All of those wonderful first generation Pagnol films are now thing of the past, and apparently in need of restoration.  They have been for the past forty years.

Enter the next gen.

1986.  A dozen years after the world lost the great Marcel.

Two films began the rebirth.

Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring, both directed by Claude Berri.

​Both capture the spirit of the French countryside and of things essentially Pagnol.

While I'm thrilled to finally have these two films, I'd be more thrilled if they were beautiful.

Close, but no cigar.

While we have a countryside bathed in warm sunlight, we also have odd black levels, occasional questions of what is grain, and what is video noise and slight sharpening.

None of this is in one's face enough to damage the overall experience, but it's there.

​A couple of wonderful films, brought to us by MGM via Shout Factory, which are both workmanlike Blu-rays without ever being special.

That point made, the wonder world of Pagnol still works, and stands the test of time.  Stories unfold at the leisurely pace that only two films can offer.

233 minutes of Marcel Pagnol is a good thing.

Image - 3.5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Paul Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Well. when I saw these were going to finally get a release via Shout, workmanlike was pretty much the most I felt I could hope for.

When it was clear this was going to be a 2 disc set there was some thought that would mitigate their tendecy to less than eagle eyed compression/encoding.

As long as they faifthfully translate what MGM gave them, I can't be too upset.

I already have the French Pathe Bd for Manon, which I was hoping to enjoy like a silent movie since I don't speak French. I can do it in fits and starts, but if there is an option available with subs, that's what I will make the most use of.

One thing to remember, if like me you are following the subs, you may not be quite as put off by a little sharpening or the divination between faux grain and noise.

Ultimately workmanlike is INFINITELY better than none at all. I'm very much looking forward to reading, and intermittently seeing, these films again.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've had this preordered since they day it went live.

I have a few other versions of both films(domestic, French and Italian cuts) on DVD. This will play the day it arrives.

Issues and all.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
It would be nice if MGM would release on Blu-ray two great French films released by them on dvd years ago called "My Father's Glory" and "My Mother's Castle" both directed by Yves Robert and released in theaters in 1990. Both films also capture the beauty of French countryside.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The first time I saw these films was thanks to my high school French teacher, who held a piece of cardboard over the TV during a certain scene in Manon des Sources. We all got a kick out of that.

The last time I saw the films was when I was suffering from a bout of insomnia and decided to watch the MGM double feature DVD to kill the time. Best bout of insomnia ever.

I would also like to see Claude Lelouch's Les Miserables get some long overdue attention.

CobraVerde

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
This would've been a sublime Criterion package, but alas, I'm happy to be getting them regardless. It'll go well with the original one-sheets on my wall.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
I am happy with the transfers and delighted Shout Factory have released them. Us Brits(Europeans) have to look to the good old USA for these masterpieces. Its a shame the UK DVD industry has virtually died when it comes to classic releases . So little choice and lack of interest over here...

Go for it and support this release. Thanks Shout Factory.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Ah yes, the forgotten Les Miserables, directed by Lelouch and starring Belmondo. I finally purcharsed the LD, since nothing else is available for home viewing, and this is a remarkable re-imagining of the oft-told story.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
If it has a 'pass' from Mr Harris then the release should be as good as we're going to get. I've had it ordered since Day One.

Meantime, those with Region Free players shouldn't hesitate to buy this: La Gloire de Mon Père & Le Château de Ma Mère Region B Gaumont Blu ray (2 discs)

'My Father's Glory' and 'My Mother's Castle' look absolutely ravishing on Blu ray. I can recommend these wholeheartedly.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
AnthonyClarke said:
If it has a 'pass' from Mr Harris then the release should be as good as we're going to get. I've had it ordered since Day One.

Meantime, those with Region Free players shouldn't hesitate to buy this: La Gloire de Mon Père & Le Château de Ma Mère Region B Gaumont Blu ray (2 discs)

'My Father's Glory' and 'My Mother's Castle' look absolutely ravishing on Blu ray. I can recommend these wholeheartedly.
I also have the blu-ray and i did compared it to my MGM dvd release and it's a BIG improvement in both picture and sound. Glad i have a all region player!

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
atcolomb said:
It would be nice if MGM would release on Blu-ray two great French films released by them on dvd years ago called "My Father's Glory" and "My Mother's Castle" both directed by Yves Robert and released in theaters in 1990. Both films also capture the beauty of French countryside.

Both released on bluray in the UK and France but not sure if either are region 'A' US friendly.

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
CULTMAN1 said:
I am happy with the transfers and delighted Shout Factory have released them. Us Brits(Europeans) have to look to the good old USA for these masterpieces. Its a shame the UK DVD industry has virtually died when it comes to classic releases . So little choice and lack of interest over here...

Go for it and support this release. Thanks Shout Factory.
StudioCanal Vintage Series, StudioCanal Collection, BFI, Arrow Video, Masters Of Cinema, Argent Films etc etc...not to mention the huge amount of region 'B' UK friendly classic blurays available in France, Italy etc...it's not too shabby! :)

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
CobraVerde said:
This would've been a sublime Criterion package, but alas, I'm happy to be getting them regardless. It'll go well with the original one-sheets on my wall.

I'd have been more than happy to pay an extra few bucks to have Criterion release this :(

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
My only complaint is that I wish they had raised the subtitles up a notch so they don't get clipped for those of us with 2.35:1 screens.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mark-P said:
My only complaint is that I wish they had raised the subtitles up a notch so they don't get clipped for those of us with 2.35:1 screens.

Are the titles burned in? I didn't notice. Are they movable via a control on your Blu-ray player.

RAH

Paul Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
The bottom of the line (of the subs) hugged the edge of the live image but didn't cross over into the letterbox bar.

I have my screen set for 2.35 also and had no problem reading them, though they were close to the edge whereas most other films are firmly in the frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks