What's new

UHD James Bond films in Ultra HD blu Ray? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Goldfinger will have an ultra HD showing in Berlin.

https://www.berlinale.de/en/presse/pressemitteilungen/retrospektive/retro-presse-detail_26581.html

Note this is a new transfer from MGM and Lowry is not listed.

It will be interesting to see what fox and MGM release when spectre comes to theaters this November. A lot is unknown about when ultra HD players will be for sale. End of this year or early 2016. In addition the bda is still working in ultra HD disc specs.

The bond films always seem to pull me into the new formats. They were the first films I bought on dvd and blu Ray and the reason I got both players too.

Im excited by the goldfinger screening news and look forward to hearing more about ultra HD blu Ray too!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I would be interested if the older titles all get a new pass. I've long held off on purchasing them due to mixed reviews. If they get them all right, I'm in.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Ethan Riley said:
I would be interested if the older titles all get a new pass. I've long held off on purchasing them due to mixed reviews. If they get them all right, I'm in.
Best buy had several of them on blu Ray for $4 each during the holidays.

I think the transfers on many of them are outstanding. I know some felt the color was changed to much from the original films. Detail is amazing especially in the films that were scanned at 4k.

It will be interesting to compare and see what they release later in the year.

I'm guessing a new blu Ray box set?
Ultra HD will depend on how quickly players hit the market.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Osato said:
Ultra HD will depend on how quickly players hit the market.
I'm sure they'll do what they did with DVD and Blu-ray, they'll release about 1/3 of the series. The problem with Ultra HD is that there is so little consumer interest that they won't sell and whatever movies they first release will be the only Bond titles that come out for years.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
TravisR said:
I'm sure they'll do what they did with DVD and Blu-ray, they'll release about 1/3 of the series. The problem with Ultra HD is that there is so little consumer interest that they won't sell and whatever movies they first release will be the only Bond titles that come out for years.
It seems to be their pattern to release a few of the films and then do sets I agree!

Yes it will be interesting to see how the market responds to ultra HD blu Ray.

It could be that there isnt any ultra HD releases until bond 25 as well. Just due to the timing of players etc.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Is it confirmed that this is from a new transfer? The Lowry master was 4K.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I think I had originally commented (on another forum) about a possible new 4k/UHD boxset in conjunction with the release of Spectre in November. I had completely forgot that we won't have UHD/4k players before December at earliest, so I guess a new boxset would be a "mastered in 4k" regular BD release. In any event, Bond will always get me to wade back into a new set as I've owned every Bond set since they started releasing on home video.

I will agree that, on average, the Bond 50 set is well worth the $130 I paid (less than 6 bucks a film, not including the separate purchase of Skyfall). Most of the transfers (especially the Connery ones) are very good. There are a few problematic ones (Goldeneye). If it turns out that they've remastered ALL of the movies like it sounds like they have for Goldfinger, a new boxset would be an instant purchase for me.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Worth said:
Is it confirmed that this is from a new transfer? The Lowry master was 4K.
The site states that it is a new master. Check out the link.
I had the thought it could be the Lowry scan from 4k and then new color timing etc, but I'm sure we will know more later??

Several of the bond 50 titles were redone or new mastering work for he bond 50 set. Namely the spy who loved me and goldeneye. Others??

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Isn't there an old joke about seeing how many times they can get consumers to buy Goldfinger?

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
Spy was not done by Lowrey and was one of the best looking films in the set. Many of the titles in the set (including Thunderball, YOLT, OHMSS, TMWTGG, and the Brosnan films) could be much improved with a little more care.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Mikey1969 said:
Spy was not done by Lowrey and was one of the best looking films in the set. Many of the titles in the set (including Thunderball, YOLT, OHMSS, TMWTGG, and the Brosnan films) could be much improved with a little more care.
I'm sure MGM eon and fox are aware. It will be interesting to see if it translates to a new blu Ray set later in the year orif they issue the same transfers on blu Ray and create new ultra hd transfers for either for an ultra hd complete set or a few stand alone ultra HD titles.

Dr. No
From Russia with love
Goldfinger
Live and let die
Moonraker
The spy who loved me
License to kill
Not sure which of the pierce ones they would issue first.
All of Daniel's films?

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Steve_Pannell said:
I like Bond, but the only way I'll buy them again is if they are holographic projections.

I've gone far enough.

Me too.

I'm 53 this year and since I was only 19 when I recorded my first Bond on VHS then went on to purchase rental tapes, retail tapes , widescreen tapes, Laserdiscs , initial dvd's , SE dvd's, UE dvd's then Bluray individual then BD boxset I think I'm done.

Screwing up the series with the Craig movies has lessened my interest in it generally and while I would never not have this series in my collection I have no interest in Ultra HD at all even though I was very excited by the BD releases.

I'm surprised that I finally feel as if I've seen these movies enough times to be happy with the versions on BD.

As Columbo once said - "This far - and no farther"

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would probably be open to rebuying select titles on the next format, if they mix some of the issues that exist on the current Blu-rays. For instance, I'd totally buy a new "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" that had proper color timing in the opening sequence.

I've been rewatching the Blu-rays slowly over the past few months, and the early films all have credits for being scanned at 4K. So if a 4K disc purchase would just be from the same master as the discs we have now, I'd probably pass. If they actually redid them all from scratch, that's another story. But this is MGM, so I think they'll milk the existing masters as long as humanly possible.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Steve_Pannell said:
I like Bond, but the only way I'll buy them again is if they are holographic projections.

I've gone far enough.

Same here. I have purchased these films enough times, and I do not have any plans to get into the 4K format anyway. I am satisfied with my BD copies.

P

Patrick Donahue

I think the 4k format will be too new for the Bond's to be released in it this fall. I have a feeling all we'll get is a rerelease of the current blu's with added Digital HD copies...

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I don't see Fox jumping into 4K discs for the Bond films until Spectre hits home video in February 2015, at least. I suspect this Nov. we'll see a repack of the Bond 50 set with a new bonus disc with the exclusive EON doc and possible the long-delayed Quantum of Solace special edition. Fox jumped into blu-ray early with the Bond series and had to mark them down drastically to get them off store shelves. I remember even the steelbooks of the first batches of films (Dr. No, FRWL, GF, TB, LALD, FYEO, and DAD I believe) were first released at $30, but quickly dropped to $10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks