What's new

Time Warner HD cable or DirecTV? (1 Viewer)

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
So I've been totally frustrated with my Time Warner service. The old/used/refurb'ed boxes they give you suck IMHO. It takes multiple seconds sometimes to switch between channels, the PIP placed the window as if I'm using a 4:3 TV. and hit or miss if they quality of the HD ch you decided to watch is available, plays but stutters and shows artifacts, or is just a poor quality HD. So I've been really considering drop the TV portion of my TW services and go with DirecTV. Any comments on if it would be a good move or not and if DirecTV is far superior to cable. Thanks again for the help!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I, too, am having issues with Time-Warner (in particular the DVRs). They really have become clunky and problematic in terms of being wonky on both record and playback.

However, four or five years ago I made the jump from T-W to Dish Network. I found out the grass really WASN'T greener on the other side of the fence. Constant drop-outs and problems during storms, etc. The equipment ain't any better. All the horror stories you hear can be true (they were for me). I did my time (the two-year commitment) and rushed back to Time-Warner ASAP. And I got a great deal to return to the fold in the process.

One of the things I learned in the process was that cable bills are negotiable. Every year now I ask about new promotions and to have a review of my services/bill. This year I even lowered my bill from last year (with the same services!).

Another thing I learned is that since I have returned a number of DVRs over the past year or so, I can make a request for a certain type of DVR and if they have one of those on hand, get it. Like the "whole house" DVRs with bigger HDDs--even if I don't get that service. They won't always do it, but if you have been regularly returning DVRs with problems, they have a new emphasis on customer service.

T-W has opened a couple of new store fronts in my area over the past few years. (with kind of an Apple Store vibe). I like them because it allows me easy negotiations, returns, etc.

I also went out and purchased my own cable modem to ditch the monthly rental fee. Works great.

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Yeah I'm with you on the Cable Modem... I did the same. For me its not a price issue. I call and negotiate my bill cheaper every time the rate changes. I've been with time warner for 20 years and I've never had anything else. My issues is the DVR equipment is horrible, it locks up, the play back sometimes is bad, I have to do a cold reboot the DVR way to often by pulling the power cord and letting it reboot for 10 minutes. I've probably returned six DVR units in the past 2 years. I did have the Signature series for a while, 50MB Internet and three DVR boxes. But I really didn't care for the Cisco based DVR equipment. What I'm ,mostly looking for is the best and consistent HD image and equipment that actually works as it should.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've had DirecTV since 1997 (minus 3 years I tried FIOS to save some money - they offered a deal I couldn't refuse :D ). Before that (and briefly in 2003 to try the HD offerings), I had Comcast. Unless Comcrap changes dramatically , I would never go back to cable (or even FIOS).

Dropouts are usually caused by interference from trees and buildings or your dish was not aligned properly. I lose my signal no more than once or twice a year during the most severe storms (and only for a few minutes). If you have a clear line to the satellite and a competent installer, you should have few problems.

My time with FIOS wasn't too bad since I had my own TiVO's with cablecards. If I was forced to use thier cable boxes I may not have had such a good experience.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I've had Time Warner, Dish, and DirecTV in my years, and both Time Warner and Dish were terrible, terrible, terrible.

DirecTV has been a breath of fresh air, frankly. I have the Genie from DirecTV and it has been brilliant.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
With Directv for 12 years now. Very pleased, it would take a lot to make me change. I've never had customer service issues and whenever I call (rarely, usually for a new box), they usually offer some free upgrade. No reception issues unless we get massive thunderstorms, then usually only a few minutes.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is a reason Directv has the...

Longest tenured customers
Best customer service
Highest avg bill

You'd think highest avg bill would be a bad thing. But when it "just works", people tend to want more channels.

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
GREAT Advice! I talked to a buddy that use to live in my town, and had TW. Then he moved outside of town and his only option was DirecTV. I talked to him for about 30 minutes last night and he confirms pretty much everything said above! He has the Video Bridge and the Genie. I did trade the old crap SA8240HD DVR and DEMANDED a Cisco 8742HDC. This one change alone took care of MANY of my issues with TW. The channels change almost instantly now, the guide is a lot better, It offers 3D which is great for the kids and a new other option that I like. BUT the "box" did not change the inconsistent image quality from one HD ch to another. I have fully open sky's where the dish needs to point. I am going to get TW to break out the cost of my Digital Phone and Internet and see what I can get from DirecTV!!! I will report back!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Good for you! I'm going to ask for another Cisco DVR soon. The last one they gave me was a Samsung model and it has may of the same issues you described above. I had the bigger Cisco model when I came back to T-W after Dish Network because they offered me a super deal on a whole house system (even though I had no use for it! But it was cheaper than any other promotion they had going on.) and it was good for years--until it got a little wonky.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I have the TWC whole home package too--and one of my Cisco boxes is acting up. I also have a Roku and an Apple TV unit, which make those boxes look like the rotary phone my grandma owned. Is there any way to simplify or improve a 70s technology for the 10s?

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Thanks for the responses.

For those that have Direct TV, what is the average monthly bill for all HD channels (no premium), and other than the dish, what equipment is required to rent (or buy, maybe)?

macfan601

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
macfan601 said:
There is nothing to buy and no installation fee. Your first STB is free. There is a small lease fee on each additional STB.

That is one of the HUGE advantages D* has. The most you will pay for the receiver is a few bucks a month. They do charge a upfront fee when you get new boxes so be sure to get everything you want during the first install. Even after that you can usually talk nice to them and get stuff for free (after you've been a customer for a little while).

My 3 DVR's (including one Genie) cost me less per month than one box from the cable company.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Thanks, I will have to see what I can do since I have phone, internet and cable in one package. Bundling is cheaper so I have to see what my phone and internet options are and the prices as a stand-alones.

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Yeah, so the new "box" is having issues with changing channels again just like the old box. When you change channels the screen goes black for a few seconds and then you might hear audio first of see the picture first. Also I am sick of the fact that every time I turn to H2HD or SCI etc... I get screen wit hno video and a message box saying "This channel is currently unavailable press [A] to try again"... I called TW customer service to see what was up and the automatic message while waiting said "We are experiencing problems with the length of time it takes to change channels in your area - our engineers are working on the problem to we hope to have this issue resolved as soon as possible" THIS IS WHY I'm DONE with TW for my T.V. needs and when I get time I will switch to DirecTV!!!!! I've been very patient with TW and now I'm just past my break point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks