What's new

Pioneer LX56 RCA Connector Help? (1 Viewer)

rpmor

Auditioning
Real Name
Ruy
Good day all.

I am new to the forum and I require some assistance. I recently bought a second hand Pioneer LX56 alongside a set of KEF305 speakers. All is well except for one small issue. I have noticed a bit later on that the Subwoofer 1 RCA port does not work; the sub does not get detected. At present the sub is connected through the Subwoofer 2 port.

All in all. I don't have a second sub yet but I wanted to know if it is possible to replace these RCA connectors? A part of me feels I can live with it but the other side of me the very detailed oriented one prefers everything in order lol I mean the rest of the receiver is working flawlessly as I can see and given the value I received both items I don't feel I want to return it ideally (1500usd for both) in otherwise near mint condition (from a friend who is not in need of money and was moving on to a new system).

Any inputs and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

rpmor

Auditioning
Real Name
Ruy
Oh really? No fancy set up due to signal strengths etc? Nothing more than a splitter within?

If so thanks a lot. I can calm other self easier that way.

Edit: Please forgive my knowledge gap I am also here to learn in case anything I just said here is completely wrong.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
rpmor said:
Oh really? No fancy set up due to signal strengths etc? Nothing more than a splitter within?

If so thanks a lot. I can calm other self easier that way.

Edit: Please forgive my knowledge gap I am also here to learn in case anything I just said here is completely wrong.

For this model is it just 2 connectors internally connected with a Y-cable. There are AVRs that have independent controls for dual subs (they still act as one during playback but you can adjust to volume of each independently during setup). This Pioneer is not one of them.

rpmor

Auditioning
Real Name
Ruy
Ah ok. Thanks. So is it possible its just this Y cable that is damaged? Or it could be either or. I presume its fixable and doesn't require a new board (first time ever looking into fixing an electronic of this nature).

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
rpmor said:
Ah ok. Thanks. So is it possible its just this Y cable that is damaged? Or it could be either or. I presume its fixable and doesn't require a new board (first time ever looking into fixing an electronic of this nature).

There is no internal y-cable. The signal splitting would be accomplished on a circuit board. And there’s no easy way to change out an RCA connector. They are integrated “gang” units that connect directly to a circuit board. The picture below is an example. Looking at a picture of the back of your receiver, there’s a good chance that all the pre-outputs near the sub outs are ganged in a single unit. It might be educational to pop the cover of your receiver and have a look inside.

9359d1221518558-how-solder-illustrated-diy-guide-making-your-own-cables-rca-assembly-2.jpg

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"A part of me feels I can live with it but the other side of me the very detailed oriented one prefers everything in order lol"

Repeat after me..."Subwoofer Output #2 is better then Subwoofer Output #1...Subwoofer Output #2 is better then Subwoofer Output #1... etc" :D .

If/when you get a second subwoofer you might be able to daisey-chain them together like I do eliminating the need for the y-splitter. Just connect a cable from the rca output on the first subwoofer to the second subwoofers rca input.

And then repeat after me...I don't need a y-splitter...I don't need.....

rpmor

Auditioning
Real Name
Ruy
Wayne A. Pflughaupt said:
There is no internal y-cable. The signal splitting would be accomplished on a circuit board. And there’s no easy way to change out an RCA connector. They are integrated “gang” units that connect directly to a circuit board. The picture below is an example. Looking at a picture of the back of your receiver, there’s a good chance that all the pre-outputs near the sub outs are ganged in a single unit. It might be educational to pop the cover of your receiver and have a look inside.

9359d1221518558-how-solder-illustrated-diy-guide-making-your-own-cables-rca-assembly-2.jpg

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

While I am far from being an expert with Receivers I know my way around a computer. So I did actually open it up. However thats where I stopped. The RCA connections for the subwoofer is on a second layer of board hidden from sight (a diff board is up high). based on the following link: http://www.concertoaudio.com/images/productos/4121_Pioneer_SC-LX56_trasera.jpgI can't imagine how the grouping would be aside from maybe both Subwoofer 1-2 being together unless the whole set of rows is one grouping with one red RCA conveniently cut off.

gene c said:
"A part of me feels I can live with it but the other side of me the very detailed oriented one prefers everything in order lol"

Repeat after me..."Subwoofer Output #2 is better then Subwoofer Output #1...Subwoofer Output #2 is better then Subwoofer Output #1... etc" :D .

If/when you get a second subwoofer you might be able to daisey-chain them together like I do eliminating the need for the y-splitter. Just connect a cable from the rca output on the first subwoofer to the second subwoofers rca input.

And then repeat after me...I don't need a y-splitter...I don't need.....

Subwoofer output 2 is better than Subwoofer output 1 most definitely!! haha i like this approach.

However that being said. What are your opinions on keeping the receiver as is? I believe value for money cant be ignored but given that I'm just starting out here maybe if there's a diff suggestion I am all hears.

Either way just from this thread I believe I will enjoy this Forum. Thank you all for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks