What's new

Looks like no 3D for Big Hero 6 on Blu, WTF Disney? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Sam Posten said:
So you can get it digitally on 3D but not on disk. Again. I hate this shit.
As do I. Disney has become a turncoat in the 3-D format, having once been its biggest advocate, and enticing many to invest in the whole 3-D deal. At the smallest hint of decreasing sales, they left us out in the cold. And, of course, their abandonment of the format in the U.S. is having a profound effect on the entire industry here. I so want to confront actual living persons to express my anger and frustration about this, but of course Disney has insulated itself much as our government has, and will not respond to inquiries or complaints. so you can't really do a goddamn thing except pull out your hair and throw up your arms.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I just spent a wonderful weekend at the Walt Disney Family Museum discussing Ron Suskind's book Life Animated, which I will finish reading once I'm done with David Tomlinson's biography, Luckier Than Most. There, I met not only Mr. Suskind, but Jeff Kurtti, Jonathan Freeman, and (in the audience) Ron Miller and his daughter Joanna, who lives in Santa Cruz. The phrase "What would Walt do?" wasn't spoken that day, but I can pretty much guarantee that Walt would not have gone to the expense of making a film in 3D only to limit the number of opportunities to see it that way. Now that we have viable home 3D disc technology, releasing a 3D film in 2D is like releasing a widescreen movie in pan-and-scan.

Maybe the UK will come to the aid of the film's American fans once again. When I complain about the quality it's because I care. I want consumers and fans to get the most bang for their buck. People like the folks I met who, through casual conversation, I learned happened to be members of a Facebook group I also belong to.

I have stated what it's going to take to get me to support this company again, and half-hearted releases like this are making it easy not to. This is how bad their indifference to consumers' concerns has gotten: a moderator used a four-letter word in a Disney thread! Don't get me wrong; there are undoubtedly people on the inside who care, but apparently their influence is not persuasive enough.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No surprise.

Disney was the biggest supporter of 3D Blu-ray from the getgo.

After their plans not to release FROZEN to 3D domestically, it was

quite clear to most everyone that they were distancing themselves from

the format.

I would fully expect to see this trend continue. I think that Disney 3D

Blu-ray, at least here in the States, is dead.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'd say boycott this release, and refrain from buying it.

But we are such a small minority, we wouldn't begin to hurt the sales of this title.

It's such a shame, I'm finally getting a really good 3D setup, and now this. Maybe I will use the 2d to 3d conversion on the projector:)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bryan^H said:
I'd say boycott this release, and refrain from buying it.

But we are such a small minority, we wouldn't begin to hurt the sales of this title.

Thank you for acknowledging that.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Y'know, since the majority of these releases (with the possible exception of NEED FOR SPEED) are kiddie flicks (yes, I know some adults like them), it's not hard for me to not purchase their products. I'm just glad that the Disney-owned Marve Studios are able to release 3D titles. I'd be more bothered if GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY was unavailable instead of BIG HERO or FROZEN.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Ronald Epstein said:
Disney was the biggest supporter of 3D Blu-ray from the getgo.

After their plans not to release FROZEN to 3D domestically, it was

quite clear to most everyone that they were distancing themselves from

the format.

They had plans, but once the "Sing-Along Edition" was boosted into its place, they knew on which side their bread was buttered, and it made a convenient excuse.

So far, they're the only studio to have effectively ended their 3D disks (as opposed to just talking about it), and not coincidentally, the only studio who had to put up with all the fan complaints about the $39 Oz solo disk. :rolleyes:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ejanss said:
They had plans, but once the "Sing-Along Edition" was boosted into its place, they knew on which side their bread was buttered, and it made a convenient excuse.

So far, they're the only studio to have effectively ended their 3D disks (as opposed to just talking about it), and not coincidentally, the only studio who had to put up with all the fan complaints about the $39 Oz solo disk. :rolleyes:

Ejanss,

Do you work for Disney? Do have some sort of Insider knowledge?

Somehow I suspect not.

You have been stating what Disney has been and has not been doing as if it

were fact.

Meanwhile, we have been talking directly to people tied to the industry who

have been privately telling us otherwise.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
RJ992 said:
Y'know, since the majority of these releases (with the possible exception of NEED FOR SPEED) are kiddie flicks (yes, I know some adults like them), it's not hard for me to not purchase their products. I'm just glad that the Disney-owned Marve Studios are able to release 3D titles. I'd be more bothered if GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY was unavailable instead of BIG HERO or FROZEN.

Both Big Hero 6 and Guardians of the Galaxy are based on Marvel comic books, so by your standards, how is the latter any less "kiddie" than the former (or Frozen, for that matter)?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Ronald Epstein said:
Ejanss,

Do you work for Disney? Do have some sort of Insider knowledge?

Somehow I suspect not.

No, all I did was notice the sales info for the "3D edition coming in October" to go with the toy/book marketing, and the Sing-Along Edition later mysteriously taking the exact same release date. (To go with the toy/book marketing.)

Any disparaging comments about "Disney knows its Frozen fans aren't in it for the story and only in it to karaoke the same three or four marketable tunes, so why sell the movie when you can sell the songs?" would only be speculation about why one release eventually replaced the other, starting the ball rolling against 3D.

If you're feeling "picked on" about the Oz blowup, then I'd welcome any theories about why Fox, who's had much less successful 3D titles, is still in the game, or why independent Marvel hasn't given up yet, even on Disney's own label.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
So they show the movie in 3-D in the theaters but will not offer up a 3-D Blu Ray disc, is that what I'm hearing?

I can't see 3D so I'm not in the battle but it does seem odd to have folks pay to see it in 3D at a theater then just shut down 3D for the home audiences.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
What's even more odd is that Disney is releasing many of these Blu-ray titles in 3D outside of the US market (Europe for example), just not here. Lame.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
dpippel said:
What's even more odd is that Disney is releasing many of these Blu-ray titles in 3D outside of the US market (Europe for example), just not here. Lame.

Yep: Just Disney, just disk, and just the US. Really, really......weird. :unsure:

It would really take a great and powerful wizard to figure this one out.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
dpippel said:
Yeah, it'd be one thing if Disney had just abandoned 3-D all together but can 3-D really be doing that much better in Europe than the U.S.?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They're only abandoning 3D for physical media in the film's country of origin. You can still stream it in 3D. That's what makes it so insulting. It's like I'm saying "take my money, PLEASE!" to them and they're saying "nah, we can live without it."

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
MatthewA said:
They're only abandoning 3D for physical media in the film's country of origin. You can still stream it in 3D. That's what makes it so insulting.
That's true but if that's their plan for the U.S., why not do the same in Europe? Is streaming doing that much better in the U.S. than in Europe?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
TravisR said:
That's true but if that's their plan for the U.S., why not do the same in Europe? Is streaming doing that much better in the U.S. than in Europe?

I don't know about streaming in Europe, but 3D Blu-rays apparently still sell well enough there to satisfy Disney's expectations. Frozen probably got a lot of sales from US importers, myself being one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks