What's new

Beauty and the Beast (80s series) on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
This is my favourite series of all time, and I just found out that it was shot on 35mm, if imdb is correct!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092319/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

Wouldn't this look great on Bluray, if properly restored?

This series has excellent production values for a TV show. The cinematography, the sets/costumes, the music...

There were some Blurays announced a couple of years ago in UK, but they were cancelled.

Recently (in November 2014), the DVDs have been rereleased with some new extras (Episode Intros by the show stars), and packaging.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Beauty-Beast-Complete-Ron-Perlman/ref=%26%2574%2561g%3d%2562l%2575r%2561yf%256fr%2575m%252d20?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1421190638&sr=1-2&keywords=beauty+and+the+beast+tv&tag=blurayforum-20&ASIN=B00L9CDUAK

BeautyAndTheBeast1987_Complete_2014rerelease.jpg

Do you think it would be possible to see a Bluray release?

Was it popular enough in USA to justify it?

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
Just because if it was shot on 35mm it doesn't mean it was edited and had it's SFX done on film too. Around that time it was common to shoot on film and then transfer to videotape for the rest of the process; TNG, X-Files and Highlander etc... which is why Paramount for the TNG blu-Rays had to go back to those original film reels and start afresh.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
According to Wiki (translation: grain o' salt on standby), there was going to be a blu-ray release in Europe five years ago but it got cancelled.

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
The three BD season sets were scheduled for release in March, April and May 2011 respectively but was shelved due to not having HD masters for them, at least according to a reply on the UK distributor's Facebook page back then.

They had previously gotten a whole ton of flack for their BD of the Airwolf TV movie and it may well have played a part in cancelling BatB as well as a few other titles that were scheduled for release at that time.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I have the dvd; just based upon the way it looks, I'd say the show was edited on video, so they'd have to go back to the original elements like with Star Trek TNG to upgrade it.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Ethan Riley said:
I have the dvd; just based upon the way it looks, I'd say the show was edited on video, so they'd have to go back to the original elements like with Star Trek TNG to upgrade it.
Do you have this new DVD or the old one?

If it is new, how is the video quality?

Also, does anyon know if the episodes are edited from their original broadcast?

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Konstantinos said:
I don't understand.

it says it has not been transfered to HD.

That means that it doesn't have an HD source?

Because I thought that it meant that they haven't scanned the negatives to HD.

It means they haven't scanned the negatives to HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.