What's new

The Saint Possibly Coming from Shout! in April 2015 (1 Viewer)

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Osato said:
Cool!
Reissues of the A&E sets? First 2 black and white seasons and all of the color series?

I bought the network UK sets years ago.
I also picked up return of the saint from network as well.

Since I don't own any of the old Saint releases, this is an automatic pre-order for me. Hopefully, Shout! will also re-release The Prisoner.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm in for a pre-order as well. That's one I didn't find out had been released until it was OOP and fetching exorbitant prices!

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I have the early 2000s Umbrella sets, which are great, but am glad these will be available again in the US. The black & white seasons are especially good.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Shout seem to be reissuing old A&E ITC releases but VEI are bringing Thriller out soon as a 12 disc set so presumably the bonus features from the Oz and UK sets won't be included.

I wonder why Shout don't have Thriller

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I wonder if shout will release all the black and white episodes on dvd. I ordered the region 2 dvd set so that I could get them all. I also repurchased the color episodes from region 2 as well. The region 2 box set extras were a nice bonus.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Osato said:
I wonder if shout will release all the black and white episodes on dvd. I ordered the region 2 dvd set so that I could get them all. I also repurchased the color episodes from region 2 as well. The region 2 box set extras were a nice bonus.

There is also an alternative UK boxset for the colour Saint which includes different extras and as a collectible blows the Network set away.

It also contains several large format glossy colour booklets .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saint-Complete-Colour-Episodes/dp/B000K88H6G/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1421363601&sr=1-2&keywords=the+saint+the+complete+colour+episodes

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
youworkmen said:
There is also an alternative UK boxset for the colour Saint which includes different extras and as a collectible blows the Network set away.
It also contains several large format glossy colour booklets .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saint-Complete-Colour-Episodes/dp/B000K88H6G/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1421363601&sr=1-2&keywords=the+saint+the+complete+colour+episodes
Yes, but as of this posting there is only one seller there willing to ship to the U.S. and the price is prohibitive, at least for me.

I've greatly enjoyed the Network Monochrome set and am hoping to get the Network Colour one as a late Christmas gift, both of which will be a fraction of the cost that the Limited Edition is going for as well as the projected price for the Shout set, should that indeed materialize. I can live with the lesser extras and the speed up for a series I may watch twice in my lifetime.

I also wouldn't be surprised if a BLU release of at least the Colour episodes came out in the UK. That I might consider as an upgrade to my Network sets.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Osato said:
Wow! I had no idea!

It would be nice to see a blu Ray release of the series.
I doubt they are still available but the best Saint sets for the B&W era are the Australian Umbrella sets which offer superior picture quality over the Network ones .

The B&W era is fifty times better than the colour era , mainly because the B&W shows are based on Charteris stories but by the time of the colour episodes they'd almost run out of those so the majority are stories from the usual ITC writers which accounts for the drop in quality and many just being clones of other ITC action men series.

With the B&W shows you never knew quite what you'd get from one week to the next. One week it could be a US set gangster story , the next week it might be fraud in a quiet English village and then the following week action adventure in underground caverns.

Truly a great show

The colour shows really are a disappointment after watching all 71 B&W episodes.

There are 2 colour Saint episodes on Bluray . One of the Retro Action discs includes the first colour episode "The Queens Ransom" and the very late episode co- starring Stuart Damon in what was produced as a test for The Persuaders is a bonus on The Persuaders set . That's "The Ex-King of Diamonds".

Both are Region B locked

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Professor Echo said:
Yes, but as of this posting there is only one seller there willing to ship to the U.S. and the price is prohibitive, at least for me.

I've greatly enjoyed the Network Monochrome set and am hoping to get the Network Colour one as a late Christmas gift, both of which will be a fraction of the cost that the Limited Edition is going for as well as the projected price for the Shout set, should that indeed materialize. I can live with the lesser extras and the speed up for a series I may watch twice in my lifetime.

I also wouldn't be surprised if a BLU release of at least the Colour episodes came out in the UK. That I might consider as an upgrade to my Network sets.

I wouldn't say the Network set has lesser extras at all - they have different extras. The Network set has a documentary on it which is worth the price of purchase. I pointed out the other set for those who might want the more collectible item with the glossy colour enclosures.

Networks 3 part documentary spread across the B&W set , the colour set and the Return of the Saint set is also available on its own disc "The Saint Steps Into Television"- its over 2 hours .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saint-Steps-Television-DVD/dp/B001MGZJYI/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421445992&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=the+saint+steps+into+television

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
youworkmen said:
I doubt they are still available but the best Saint sets for the B&W era are the Australian Umbrella sets which offer superior picture quality over the Network ones .

The B&W era is fifty times better than the colour era , mainly because the B&W shows are based on Charteris stories but by the time of the colour episodes they'd almost run out of those so the majority are stories from the usual ITC writers which accounts for the drop in quality and many just being clones of other ITC action men series.

With the B&W shows you never knew quite what you'd get from one week to the next. One week it could be a US set gangster story , the next week it might be fraud in a quiet English village and then the following week action adventure in underground caverns.
Truly a great show

The colour shows really are a disappointment after watching all 71 B&W episodes.

There are 2 colour Saint episodes on Bluray . One of the Retro Action discs includes the first colour episode "The Queens Ransom" and the very late episode co- starring Stuart Damon in what was produced as a test for The Persuaders is a bonus on The Persuaders set . That's "The Ex-King of Diamonds".

Both are Region B locked
It's been a few years since I watched the Colour episodes when they were running on BBC AMERICA, but I just started the B&W shows on DVD last year and am inclined to agree with your expert analysis of the differences between the two eras. The B&W stories are indeed unpredictable and both the character of Templar and the interpretation by Moore are fresh and interesting and often exciting. The Colour shows are great fun, but the "worldly" feel of the earlier incarnation of the series has faded a bit. Still , having the complete run is the only way to go as none of it is ever less than highly entertaining.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
youworkmen said:
I wouldn't say the Network set has lesser extras at all - they have different extras. The Network set has a documentary on it which is worth the price of purchase. I pointed out the other set for those who might want the more collectible item with the glossy colour enclosures.
Networks 3 part documentary spread across the B&W set , the colour set and the Return of the Saint set is also available on its own disc "The Saint Steps Into Television"- its over 2 hours .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saint-Steps-Television-DVD/dp/B001MGZJYI/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421445992&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=the+saint+steps+into+television
Many thanks for your authoritative knowledge of these releases. I had indeed misinterpreted your earlier post which I thought was claiming that the Limited Edition was the definitive one to get. Sometimes these multi-released versions can be bewildering and it's hard to know if you've made the right purchase or not. So your reviews are very helpful and I'm sorry if I gave the impression that they are not appreciated.

Although the proposed Shout set will eliminate the Pal speed up, which is nice, having already bought the Network B&W set and about to receive the Colour one as a gift, I won't double dip. I don't notice the speed up most of the time anyway, just usually when I'm in a sour mood and nitpicking instead of focusing on the story.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks for the news, guys. Here is a more official preorder link.

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'll most likely pick up a set for a family gift.

I wonder if they will also reissue the outstanding series of The Persuaders!? I previously bought the A&E dvd sets and then also ordered the region B set from network.

The series was out on DVD here and the UK. Network put out a region 2 locked blu Ray release as well. I'd love to have the persuaders on blu Ray!

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Osato said:
I'll most likely pick up a set for a family gift.

I wonder if they will also reissue the outstanding series of The Persuaders!? I previously bought the A&E dvd sets and then also ordered the region B set from network.

The series was out on DVD here and the UK. Network put out a region 2 locked blu Ray release as well. I'd love to have the persuaders on blu Ray!

I'm confused .

You said you ordered the Region B set from Network then say you would like to have The Persuaders on Bluray??

Assuming you have just Network dvd's then The Persuaders Bluray set is a great reason to go multi region. All Networks ITC Blurays are region locked , with the exception of Year One Space 1999 which presumably was an error as nothing else ITC has been since

What a shame Shout are just reissuing stuff most of us have had for 10 years. That would be one fantastic Bluray set - even without bonus features.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
youworkmen said:
I'm confused .
You said you ordered the Region B set from Network then say you would like to have The Persuaders on Bluray??

Assuming you have just Network dvd's then The Persuaders Bluray set is a great reason to go multi region. All Networks ITC Blurays are region locked , with the exception of Year One Space 1999 which presumably was an error as nothing else ITC has been since

What a shame Shout are just reissuing stuff most of us have had for 10 years. That would be one fantastic Bluray set - even without bonus features.
Sorry for the confusion! Region 2 dvd set of the persuaders from network.
I did not buy the Blu Ray set due to the cost of upgrading a blu Ray player to region free.

It's great to see shows that have been out of print being made available in the U.S. again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks