What's new

Looking to upgrade speakers .... (1 Viewer)

torper10

Grip
Real Name
Torrey
Hey Folks,

See my attached setup. When we watch big sporting events or [SIZE=100%]movies[/SIZE], we move the big couch in the photo to face the [SIZE=100%]tv[/SIZE].

Currently, i have an HTIB onkyo [SIZE=100%]system[/SIZE] that is about 8yrs old. I recently upgraded my receiver to the Denon E-400. Now, i am looking to upgrade my [SIZE=100%]speakers[/SIZE]. The system is a 7.1. The space is small (at least i think it is) so im not certain what system i should upgrade to. Quite honestly, i am a novice when it comes to speakers and sound quality.

For the 4 satellites i was considering the Boston Acoustics soundware XS. Any insight on these?

Also, i'll take any recommendations you all have for a great set of speakers. Im willing to spend up to 1k on the system. Thanks to all.

Attachments

• current setup.jpg
    current setup.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 50

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sats for a room that big?

Focal Sibs(Accessories4less)

KEF KHT(arguably, the best small speaker there is)

If you want to move to something with more beef...

Polk RTi at the Polk Ebay store.

torper10

Grip
Real Name
Torrey
schan1269 said:
Sats for a room that big?

Focal Sibs(Accessories4less)

KEF KHT(arguably, the best small speaker there is)

If you want to move to something with more beef...

Polk RTi at the Polk Ebay store.

Do you mean to say that sats are too small for this space?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My opinion. Yes.

Larger speakers(like kind as a smaller speaker) require less power as well.

SoundWare XS are inefficient...even for that class of speaker.

Polk has(had?) the RTi5, if I have model right, for $155 a pair. Outright steal.

torper10

Grip
Real Name
Torrey
schan1269 said:
My opinion. Yes.

Larger speakers(like kind as a smaller speaker) require less power as well.

SoundWare XS are inefficient...even for that class of speaker.

Polk has(had?) the RTi5, if I have model right, for $155 a pair. Outright steal.
Again, I am a novice, so bear with me ..... My concern is that i dont think the space is all that big and i dont want to be blown away by sound. i want the sound to fit the space perfectly. Also, i need to mount the surrounds to the wall or ceiling, can that be done with the bulky polks ?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Torrey:

Take a look at my thread on a similar subject.

I just upgraded to a new set of Polk RTi6s, RTi4s and a CSi5.

I show how I mounted them and everything. i think you'd be pretty happy...and the price at the Polk eBay store is really good.

RTi6 pair $155

RTi4 pair $150

CSI5 $215

torper10

Grip
Real Name
Torrey
Mike Frezon said:
Torrey:

Take a look at my thread on a similar subject.

I just upgraded to a new set of Polk RTi6s, RTi4s and a CSi5.

I show how I mounted them and everything. i think you'd be pretty happy...and the price at the Polk eBay store is really good.

RTi6 pair $155

RTi4 pair $150

CSI5 $215
Thank you. I spoke with a rep at acscessories4less and they recommneded (as high end, which i asked for) ... Canton speakers. Can anyone speak to the quality of these?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I can't speak to Canton. Never heard of 'em.

You might want to hit some local audio stores to see what sounds good to your ears. Different speaker types/makes have different fans based on the different technologies used. It is very subjective.

To replace the seven speakers in your system with the Polks I posted about above would cost $670 (before tax). Shipping is free. That's a lot of quality speaker for a very reasonable price.

Do you have any intention to replace your subwoofer? if so, you might want to consider recalculating your budget to include a sub upgrade.

Which Onkyo HTIB are you replacing?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It is a little hard to tell from the picture but I assume the back wall is quite a distance from the front wall? The rear speakers should ideally be pointing towards the front speakers and if the back wall is too far away, 7.1 will be an issue. The way you have them setup now is not optimum. I suggest going to 5.1 and spend the cash you save on the sub

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/7-1-setup.html

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/5-1-setup.html

torper10

Grip
Real Name
Torrey
Mike Frezon said:

You might want to hit some local audio stores to see what sounds good to your ears. Different speaker types/makes have different fans based on the different technologies used. It is very subjective.

To replace the seven speakers in your system with the Polks I posted about above would cost $670 (before tax). Shipping is free. That's a lot of quality speaker for a very reasonable price.

Do you have any intention to replace your subwoofer? if so, you might want to consider recalculating your budget to include a sub upgrade.

The back wall of the basement is 25 feet from the front wall. I have open space behind the last set of speakers. the other issue is that when we had the basement refinished, i ran the speaker wire behind the walls, so theres really no way to relocate them other than moving them up to the celing and pointing them downward (i presume) or running the wire to the floor and getting speakers with stands and pointhing them toward the fronts.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
torper10 said:
Again, I am a novice, so bear with me ..... My concern is that i dont think the space is all that big and i dont want to be blown away by sound. i want the sound to fit the space perfectly.
Go listen to a set of "real" speakers that are sold in places like Magnolia Home Theater or better and dedicated audio store. Once you hear them you will never want to listen to cheap speakers. It's like cleaning your glasses. You could still see but now things are so much clearer. What was a jumble of guitar sounds are now clear notes.

You won't be blown away. That's why every receiver comes with a handy volume control. Unless you want to be blown away which is common with great sounding speakers.

Filling it perfectly with sound is a combination of equipment, placement and tuning. After everything is installed you should run your receiver's auto calibration setup. If your receiver doesn't have one then manually set it up with an SPL meter and a tape measure.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
David Willow said:
I suggest going to 5.1 and spend the cash you save on the sub

Since I can only speak to what I've done, if you were to go 5.1 and get the Polks the cost drops to $520 (before tax). That would then allow you to spend $500 on a nice sub like an SVS SB-1000 or a PB-1000 (which I have). This keeps you within your aforementioned budget of $1000 on nice speakers (and sub).

Just an idea.

torper10

Grip
Real Name
Torrey
Mike Frezon said:

I went to magnolia this evening and I must say I was very impressed with the energy speakers. I also see a KEF t105 series available for 1k. Decisions , decisions.

torper10

Grip
Real Name
Torrey
torper10 said:
I went to magnolia this evening and I must say I was very impressed with the energy speakers. I also see a KEF t105 series available for 1k. Decisions , decisions.
Oh and right now I have the onkyo htr800 series , if my memory serves me

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
torper10 said:
Definitive technology BP 8060t - they sound great , any opinions on them?
so..you went from having to "hide them" to making them a centerpiece of the room...

I'm liking this turn of events...

I've never owned Def Tech. Have heard them many times though...often set up "over bassed*"...cause they have that aura...

*Meghan Trainer(probably spelled wrong) would approve. But like all speakers...they can be properly calibrated. Or left alone "deficiencies" and all(the way I prefer a speaker).

torper10

Grip
Real Name
Torrey
schan1269 said:
so..you went from having to "hide them" to making them a centerpiece of the room...
I'm liking this turn of events...
I've never owned Def Tech. Have heard them many times though...often set up "over bassed*"...cause they have that aura...
*Meghan Trainer(probably spelled wrong) would approve. But like all speakers...they can be properly calibrated. Or left alone "deficiencies" and all(the way I prefer a speaker).
Now i just listened to a set of bowers and Wilkins 683 and I am in love. I was able to sample my own music on them .... WOW

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks