What's new

Should I buy a Smart TV? (1 Viewer)

DynoDon

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I'm making the move into blu-ray and HD. I currently own DVD and a 32" 1080p LED TV. I'm looking to get a 50 inch LED. With programming providers like CBS and others getting into streaming, will a Smart TV become obsolete if is not equipped with the appropriate streaming app? Is it better to get a dumb TV and get something like a Roku stick or the like with the latest streaming apps? Same with a blu-ray player-I'm eying the Oppo 103D.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
If you're looking at an Oppo, you should PROBABLY get a smart-TV.

I can't say how often the apps upgrade, since I have a low-end Panasonic (yeesh, they've forgotten about us :( ), but streaming is rapidly pushing reality-infested cable further and further off the landscape, and it's better to have at least something that can get Netflix, Amazon and VOD on a regular basis.

If you don't have a game console, it's either the smart-TV's or the Roku, and I'm not too fond of the set-top boxes, myself.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The problem with 'smart' TVs is they become dumb long before you are ready to replace them. The apps don't get updated and eventually things stop working. I have never "purposely" bought a smart TV. Instead get a sub $100 box (Roku, Android TV, etc) that can be tossed after a couple years.

Bonus - Most Bluray players are "smart" as well (eliminating the need for an extra box).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I got a Sony 5200 BD player last week on sale for $60. It has onboard wi-fi and a metric buttload of apps and streaming services built in. Even a web browser, although it's nearly unusable with the remote. I wish it could use a bluetooth keyboard/ mouse.

That said, it seems like most decent TVs are "Smart" these days anyway.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
As already mentioned, you'd be hard pressed to NOT but a smart TV (maybe if you get one of the remaining plasmas); but I agree with the others, it's not worth making your choice because of smart features. Most Bluray players will give you what you need, and if not, it's hard to beat Roku or Fire TV (since the developers for those devices keep their s/w more up-to-date than the TV manufacturers). Also, for a while there, smart TVs were not sending out a trues 5.1 signal, you were stuck with stereo. Not sure where that stands now, but again Roku and Fire definitely handle the signals better.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Al.Anderson said:
As already mentioned, you'd be hard pressed to NOT but a smart TV (maybe if you get one of the remaining plasmas); but I agree with the others, it's not worth making your choice because of smart features. Most Bluray players will give you what you need, and if not, it's hard to beat Roku or Fire TV (since the developers for those devices keep their s/w more up-to-date than the TV manufacturers). Also, for a while there, smart TVs were not sending out a trues 5.1 signal, you were stuck with stereo. Not sure where that stands now, but again Roku and Fire definitely handle the signals better.

Of course, point is, he's not buying a "smart" Blu player, since he was going for the geek-basic Oppo, and so has to make up for it in other ways--

I'm not recommending getting a smart-TV just to get a smart-TV, but they're becoming pretty essential now, even without a Roku, FireTV or PS3.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ejanss said:
Of course, point is, he's not buying a "smart" Blu player, since he was going for the geek-basic Oppo, and so has to make up for it in other ways--

I'm not recommending getting a smart-TV just to get a smart-TV, but they're becoming pretty essential now, even without a Roku, FireTV or PS3.
He's better off getting the Roku stick to pair with the Oppo. I have smart TVs at all three of my HT locations, but I never used those TV features. I prefer to use my Roku, Apple TV or BD players to access such features.

kathy13xia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kathy Xia
Why not? A smart TV is like a Pandora box. With it, I can watch live TV show, stream movies from NAS to play on the TV through Plex, pretty awesome.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Only because the "Smart" features of the TV will probably be surpassed (if not obsoleted) by next year's versions of $35 streaming sticks and $99 streaming boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks