What's new

Equipment Input (1 Viewer)

Bullman

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle
I'm finally finishing my basement, and am looking to turn one side of it into a home theater room. I'm trying to get a feel for equipment, what might work good together, what might not work good together. Unfortunately I know nothing when it comes to this type of equipment. I've been looking online for quite some time, and have come across a few things that I might be interested in. I come here for honest and trustworthy advice on the equipment below. Will they work good together, can the receiver support the speakers, would additional equipment be necessary, would these combined make a nice system,bpros, cons. I'm sure these types of questions are frequent around here, and if so I apologize. Just looking for help, and wasn't sure where else to look. Thanks in advance to any replies!

Projector: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 3020 2D and 3D 1080p Home Theater Projector

Receiver: Denon AVR-S900W 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi

Speakers: Klipsch RF-42 II Reference Series 7.1 Home Theater System with SW-450 Subwoofer (Black)

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Everything will work very nicely together. There are couple things to consider/think about.

What screen will you use for your projector?

You will need cables and speaker wire (don't overpay - go to monoprice or blue jeans cables).

And have you listened to the Klipsch speakers? Many people love them and many hate them. They are considered bright by some folks.

Also, does the sub come with the set or can you get it separately?. I would consider upgrading (or replacing it with an internet direct brand like SVS or HSU) - Especially if your room is large.

Bullman

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle
Thank you very much for the reply. I have no idea what I'm doing. These are just pieces of equipment that I came across that I thought might be nice. No I haven't heard the speakers. I've just heard good things about Klipsch. You have recommendations on other good quality speakers? The projector, I don't mind spending about 2k, but would like to get the best I can. Hoping for as similar experience to going to the movies as I can. I haven't made up my mind on a screen yet. I did come across this today that I kind of liked...

EluneVision Reference Studio 4K Fixed Frame Projection Screen - 125" (109" x 61") Viewable - 16:9
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AAASK34/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1420950721&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SY200_QL40#

Even the screen though, how do I know the projector will project the picture perfectly on the screen? For example I don't undestand the 16:9 part. Wiring question...is it common for people to straight wire from the speaker through the wall to the receiver, or is it more common to use wall plates already wired, and just wire the speaker to the wall plate? Another question, if I chose to do a stage, is sand a must if I don't put speakers on it? My room is about 18X24. I really wanted to do 2 rows of theater seats, but I just don't think I have the room. I'll probably end up just doing one row with a small bar and bar stools directly behind it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nothing we love better than helping a new member spend his/her money! :biggrin:

Welcome to the HTF, Kyle! :welcome:

Although your equipment list gives us some idea...can you pass along a possible budget?

It would be really good for you to find an audio room somewhere and at least listen to some different brands of speakers in order to get a sense of what the different makes bring to the table. Do you maybe have a Best Buy (or similar type gear store) near you. Not that you should buy the gear there...but to able to have a place to go listen to different types of speakers before purchase.

Bullman

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle
Thanks for the reply. I'm hopeing maybe around $5000-$6000. That's just for equipment ( projector, screen, receiver, and speakers) not the seating. I actually have a Best Buy in town, it's not a very big one though. Circuit City and American have since closed. I'd almost be willing to cut back a little on audio, if it meant getting a superb video. Would it be possible to get maybe 2-3 suggestions for each piece of equipment. Then maybe I could look into them? Also did you happen to see my questions on speaker wiring and a stage? Thoughts?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Many times folks spend a fortune on the video and treat the audio as an afterthought. IMO, this is a huge mistake. The sound tracks of today's movies add so much to the enjoyment that without decent audio you are missing a large part of the experience.

I would spend as much on the speakers (or more) as you spend on the video side. A good subwoofer will be the most expensive followed by the front speakers. You don't need to spend a fortune on the receiver or the cables. Also, if you are handy, there are ways to save big time on the screen by making it yourself.

You probably won't find much at a regular Best Buy. To get the better gear you need a BB with Magnolia's in the store. Check around your area for custom installers as well - sometimes they have showrooms to demo their gear.

We all have our favorites brands. You really can't choose based on what we like. As I said in my last post, many people love their Klipsch speakers, others not so much (me included). You really have to listen for yourself. If you are not in a huge hurry and are willing to get internet direct speakers to demo in your room (the best way to demo speakers is in your own room), then check out brands such as Axiom and SVS (I have these). Most of these internet direct companies give you 30-45 days to decide if you want to keep them. If you return them you will only be out the shipping costs.

Good luck. And I agree, it is always fun spending someone else's money. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks