What's new

"Inside Out" by Pixar (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If it didn't have the Pixar logo, I'd have thought this was a dumping-ground movie from Sony Animation. I hope to be wrong. But these previews do nothing for me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mike Frezon said:
Erm...

Should we be happy that it's, at least, an original thought (of sorts)?
Original? Based on the trailer I saw last week, it looks like a typical entry in the "men dumb, women smart" genre, taking as many shots as possible to make the Dad look like a complete dolt.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
So, let's see, this would be the ritual point where we say the first Pixar teaser "sucked", that it's their "worst movie yet", and say that "the studio's going down the tubes"? :P

(Y'know, like, "Wait, so, the rat just runs through the restaurant, that's IT? That's not a Pixar movie, that's a Tom & Jerry cartoon!"

Or, "Oh, great, an old guy and balloons, that'll bring in the kids!")

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ejanss said:
So, let's see, this would be the ritual point where we say the first Pixar teaser "sucked", that it's their "worst movie yet", and say that "the studio's going down the tubes"? :P
Yep. That's where I'm at :)

I was thinking of that as I was posting. But, honestly, I've seen both trailers in the theater, and I thought they were poor to bad. They do not entice me to see the movie. But other previews excite me: Tomorrowland is exciting.

And of course, trailers lie. How many times has a thrilling preview led to a middling movie?

Pixar trailers are often exciting and engaging. But here, the core concept they're pitching, as pitched, doesn't look at all interesting nor well executed. I hope to be wrong. I always want Pixar to produce top-notch movies.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
DaveF said:
Yep. That's where I'm at :)

I was thinking of that as I was posting. But, honestly, I've seen both trailers in the theater, and I thought they were poor to bad. They do not entice me to see the movie.

Of course, that was the idea with most of their original-story movies, back when they wanted sadistically frustrate Dreamworks, and make it impossible for the cripplingly unimaginative Jeffrey Katzenberg to steal their ideas six months ahead. ("A robot who doesn't talk for the entire movie, Jeff, go ahead and steal THAT!--Don't worry, you'll think of something, you're the Shrek/Lion King genius! :P ")

Aside from the sequels we already knew, this is probably the most they've ever told us about the plot concept ahead of time--probably since they know we soon won't have Dreamworks to kick around anymore--but the thing about the Brain Trust is that even they get too used to their stories like we get too used to the trailers, and that's how the little surprises end up in the third act.

Oh, let's throw another fan know-it-all pre-emptive teaser gripe in, for fun--How about Toy Story 3?: "Oh, yeah, Andy's really going to be popular at college, bringing his cowboy doll with him..." :lol:

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Ejanss said:
eSo, let's see, this would be the ritual point where we say the first Pixar teaser "sucked", that it's their "worst movie yet", and say that "the studio's going down the tubes"? :P

(Y'know, like, "Wait, so, the rat just runs through the restaurant, that's IT? That's not a Pixar movie, that's a Tom & Jerry cartoon!"

Or, "Oh, great, an old guy and balloons, that'll bring in the kids!")
Well, I know I am in a minority here, but the one with the old guy and the balloons was the first Pixar movie I only rented, and didn't like even then ...

They had a really good run, though.

edit: Now I have seen those trailers, they were great, they are back, looking forward to this :)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Malcolm R said:
Original? Based on the trailer I saw last week, it looks like a typical entry in the "men dumb, women smart" genre, taking as many shots as possible to make the Dad look like a complete dolt.

Which is something that got overused in Miller-Boyett shows, which I find very annoying.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
After watching the trailers, I have to say that I haven't been this excited about a Pixar film since I read an interview where John Lasseter said that Cars 2 would be a cross between James Bond and Alfred Hitchcock. (Yeah, I know. . .)

Maybe it's because I have that exact dinner table conversation about five times a week, internal voices included. Go Bruins!!! ;)

Bruins.jpg

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Malcolm R said:

Only if you think that fawning over a nonexistent Latin meathead is cooler than hockey. :P

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I, for one, am really looking forward to INSIDE OUT.

A lot of fans are jaded after CARS 2 and BRAVE and MONSTERS UNIVERSITY. Even though I agree that those films aren't as good as Pixar's best, there is still a lot to love about each of them [yes, even CARS 2].

I loved the INSIDE OUT trailer. Its fun, it's funny, and it's entertaining. I showed it to my secretary and my assistant, and THEY both laughed out loud at it and liked it. Neither one of them is a Pixar fan, and they like movies, but they are casual film fans at best.

Pete Docter has yet to make a film that is less than awesome. He's one of the few film-makers out there who isn't afraid to put some heart into his films. Not fake, syrupy emotion, but true heart.

Are his films edgy? Not in the least, and I think they're all the better for it.

INSIDE OUT and TOMORROWLAND are probably the two films to which I'm most looking forward this year, and I say that as someone who grew up reading The Avengers comics and watching Star Wars films in the movie theater.

matt

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Matt Lucas said:
Well, I, for one, am really looking forward to INSIDE OUT.

A lot of fans are jaded after CARS 2 and BRAVE and MONSTERS UNIVERSITY. Even though I agree that those films aren't as good as Pixar's best, there is still a lot to love about each of them [yes, even CARS 2].

I loved the INSIDE OUT trailer. Its fun, it's funny, and it's entertaining. I showed it to my secretary and my assistant, and THEY both laughed out loud at it and liked it. Neither one of them is a Pixar fan, and they like movies, but they are casual film fans at best.

Pete Docter has yet to make a film that is less than awesome. He's one of the few film-makers out there who isn't afraid to put some heart into his films. Not fake, syrupy emotion, but true heart.

matt
I don't share your taste in this trailer, but I like your enthusiasm! I hope Inside Out is as fun as the best Pixar movies. :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've been consistently underwhelmed by Pixar teaser trailers going as far back as the Monsters Inc. but ranged from entertained to thrilled with the actual movies. The Incredibles is probably the most extreme example.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I can't remember a Pixar preview that has made me want to see the movie.

Still havent watched Cars 2 or Monsters U. but other than Monsters Inc. I've really enjoyed all the other movies so I

expect that will be the same here, even though the preview doesn't do anything for me.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got back from the Insider Access to Inside Out Fathom event.

The event started with a tour of Pixar (The Steve Jobs Building), some of the animator's offices are really decorated far out there. They showed pretty much everything except for the story room for Toy Story 4.

Next were the trailers for The Good Dinosaur and Zootopia.

Pixar's new short "Lava" was next.

Finally they showed the full 2D version of Inside Out.

Synopsis:

11 year old Riley and her loving parents move from the comfortable Minnesota where all of Riley's core memories were created to San Francisco where Riley has no friends and her emotions go out of control.

My take:

This was simultaneously the best movie I've seen in 2015 and the saddest. It might be a toss up between Inside Out and Toy Story 3 over which is the saddest.

My rating:

A+

After the credits there was a Q&A live from Sydney with Amy Poehler and director Pete Doctor.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wonder how this will do against a juggernaut like JW? A film touching on issues of childhood depression vs dinosaurs rampaging. Disney may have made a tactical mistake opening this so close to JW's opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks