What's new

The Voices - Ryan Reynolds (1 Viewer)

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
As long as this doesn't get to dark and remains comedic all the way through then, I think I'm in.

It almost has a Coen brothers feel to it.

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
In short:

After his turns in disappointing films like Green Lantern and R.I.P.D., Ryan Reynolds may have been looking for a role to redeem himself. Well, the good news is that he's found it in The Voices, a bizarre mash-up of serial-killer horror and romantic comedy from acclaimed director Marjane Satrapi (Persepolis). This twisted, quirky movie certainly isn't for everyone, but it at least proves to be an interesting experiment. Give it a chance and you may be surprised to find that it contains more heart than it does blood and guts.

Highlights from my full review:

Working from a screenplay by Paranormal Activity 2 scribe Michael R. Perry, Satrapi juxtaposes candy-colored 1950s surrealism with macabre ghoulishness, overwhelming audiences with Norman Rockwell-like perfection one moment, then shocking them with a gruesome crime scene straight out of Seven the next. The film even breaks into a spirited song-and-dance on a couple of occasions, further highlighting the incongruities between Jerry's disparate mental states.

Throughout it all, the one constant is Reynolds, whose performance as a mentally-disturbed and emotionally-fragile loner constantly at odds with his fractured psyche brings to mind Psycho's Norman Bates. Displaying impressive range, Reynolds bounces from drama to comedy, romance to horror, all at the drop of a hat, even lending his voice to Bosco and Mr. Whiskers, whom he bestows with a slow Southern drawl and a cranky Scottish brogue. He even manages to make his character truly relatable, which is no small feat, considering the extremely dark places the film goes to in its later acts.

As for Kendrick, Arterton and Weaver: they each bring remarkable depth and charisma to their roles, despite the relative brevity of their screen time. Ultimately though, one has to wonder how much of a draw this cast will be for moviegoers. Because despite the mainstream talent behind it, the movie itself — with its dark undertones and quirky execution — has niche appeal written all over it.

Film rating: 4 out of 5

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks