What's new

International The Enemy Below (1957)- Blu-Ray from Japan (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Any one seen any reviews etc on this release (it was released in April of 2014)? Looks like a very nice box set (albeit in Japanese).

91JI31fUY5L._AA1500_.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
As a major Robert Mitchum fan, I would be interested in this if shipping from Japan did not cost far more than a disc. The other problem is that there have been other discs from Japan with very poor picture quality. This really is a buyer beware situation.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robin9 said:
As a major Robert Mitchum fan, I would be interested in this if shipping from Japan did not cost far more than a disc. The other problem is that there have been other discs from Japan with very poor picture quality. This really is a buyer beware situation.
As much as I love this film, I'm going to refrain from buying this particular BD. If it makes it to Region B then I might rethink my position.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robert Crawford said:
As much as I love this film, I'm going to refrain from buying this particular BD. If it makes it to Region B then I might rethink my position.

That's my position too.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Okay, you guys. Your "buddy" John is the foreign Blu-ray guinea pig once again. It looks like it's put out by TCF Japan so I took a chance and ordered it. I'll give a report once I get it. I figure it's no more expensive than a Twilight Time release and there's nothing of theirs I want in September or October.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
John Hermes said:
Okay, you guys. Your "buddy" John is the foreign Blu-ray guinea pig once again. It looks like it's put out by TCF Japan so I took a chance and ordered it. I'll give a report once I get it. I figure it's no more expensive than a Twilight Time release and there's nothing of theirs I want in September or October.

I always appreciate it when someone takes a risk on my behalf! :) I look forward to your opinion of this disc.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
John Hermes said:

It is from Fox, John.

I also ordered a copy a few days ago, which seems to be preparing for shipment, if Amazon are to be believed.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I received the Japanese Blu-ray today and spot checked it on a 42" LCD. I hope to run it on my 120" projector this weekend. I think the disc looks very nice with good color and great directional 4.0 stereo sound. Bit rate is high 35 Mbps. My disc defaulted to the English track with Japanese subtitles (which I turned off with the remote) and started playing without a menu. There are also English subs available. It comes with a booklet (I need to brush up on my Japanese!!), and slip cover. There doesn't appear to be any extras. I picked it up from Amazon Japan for about $33 shipped and it got to California in a couple days. Japan is Zone (region) A like the U.S. so that is not an issue.

The Enemy Below.JPG

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
John Hermes said:
I received the Japanese Blu-ray today and spot checked it on a 42" LCD. I hope to run it on my 120" projector this weekend. I think the disc looks very nice with good color and great directional 4.0 stereo sound. Bit rate is high 35 Mbps. My disc defaulted to the English track with Japanese subtitles (which I turned off with the remote) and started playing without a menu. There are also English subs available. It comes with a booklet (I need to brush up on my Japanese!!), and slip cover. There doesn't appear to be any extras. I picked it up from Amazon Japan for about $33 shipped and it got to California in a couple days. Japan is Zone (region) A like the U.S. so that is not an issue.

attachicon.gif
The Enemy Below.JPG
Doumo arigatou John! ;)

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I finally had a chance to watch this tonight on my big projector screen. It is an excellent film with Mitchum and Curt Jurgens giving outstanding performances. As I mentioned before while watching in on my 42" TV, the color is really nice. Contrast is also excellent and while it is not razor sharp, it is certainly fine for a film of its vintage. Don't hesitate to get this Blu-ray if are a fan of the film or like good WWII movies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Hermes said:
I finally had a chance to watch this tonight on my big projector screen. It is an excellent film with Mitchum and Curt Jurgens giving outstanding performances. As I mentioned before while watching in on my 42" TV, the color is really nice. Contrast is also excellent and while it is not razor sharp, it is certainly fine for a film of its vintage. Don't hesitate to get this Blu-ray if are a fan of the film or like good WWII movies.
If you don't mind me asking, how much this imported disc cost you in U.S. dollars?

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Watched this over the weekend and it looked fantastic. Do wish I could read Japanese, so the booklet would be of more use, but anyway it is a wonderful set. Couldn't believe how quickly it got here from Amazon Japan.

jra66

Agent
Real Name
Jason Ader
Reviews of the US Kino disc have not been kind. Anyone who has the Japanese disc wish to comment on weather they believe this to be the same transfer? Pretty high praise of the disc in this thread.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I have the Kino Lorber . I popped it in just to look. They did the transfer from a worn copy with little cleanup. Lots of little white damage spots streaming by. Some of the scenes I skipped to looked decent on clarity.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I do have the Japanese release. I just looked at it once more. Either a different master was used, or big time clean-up was performed. There is nary a speck of, as RAH would say, minus density to be seen. It is very, very clean. It also has a four-channel English track. The radar screen RAH mentioned in his review is perfectly clean, no unwanted debris at all.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I do have the Japanese release. I just looked at it once more. Either a different master was used, or big time clean-up was performed. There is nary a speck of, as RAH would say, minus density to be seen. It is very, very clean. It also has a four-channel English track. The radar screen RAH mentioned in his review is perfectly clean, no unwanted debris at all.

Robert Harris has given his opinion of the Kino disc, and based on that I'm not going to buy it. I'll delay buying the Japanese disc as Fox titles are coming out fast in Europe and I reckon it's only a matter of time. If a European disc uses the same master as the Japanese, I'll buy it.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn

View attachment 21576
Thank you so much for your review of the Japanese release...............on your recommendation I purchased the disc as you stated it has English sub-titles...........and it does thankfully.........and as you stated it is a very good picture indeed with no dropouts at all..............a really good release is this from Japan ........the movie could not be made today as no actor has the charisma of either of the two lead actors to make the film believable........again Thank you John Hermes for letting me know of its release and its contents.............

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks