What's new

Anyone Into Double Edge Shaving? (1 Viewer)

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I've spent eons using disposable cartridges and electric razors, and am now discovering the fine art of double edge shaving. Plus a renewed attention to shaving creams (not canned foam) and upscale aftershaves.

No reason other than it makes me feel more polished than usual in the morning.

:cool:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
My Norelco recently died and I dug an old bag of Gillette Mach 3s out of the cabinet. Maybe it's time to try going old school. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Using a safety razor with replaceable blades:

4v460m.jpg

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Was a mainstay for half a century. In many ways it's far more economical an option (after the initial pretty much low investment) than cartridge, and gives a very smooth shave.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Aaron Silverman said:

4v460m.jpg
Thanks for the example! I prefer the "butterfly" model, as shown here, which opens up for blade replacement. The other type model requires disassembly.

CarlLaFong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Wheeler
I found that I cut myself less using a double-edged blade, with a little care. "Badger and Blade" is a great shaving forum, you'll find lots of great info on there. Your skin with thank you!

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
My friends once called me Fred Flintstone - as I seem to always have a 5 O'clock shadow no mater what I try - can't skip a day without having a noticeable beard.

I still use an electric for under my nose and my chin - based on a lot of scars I can't seem to use any kind of blade on those areas.

But for the rest of my face:

To try and save some money - I switched over to the "butterfly" model as shown above.

+ Saving a lot of money - I change blades once a week - went from over $2.00/week to less than $1.00 (latest 10 pack of blades cost me $7.00)

+ Easier to clean - twist the handle, take out the blade and wash the whole thing out.

- Notice a big difference on my neck - just can't get as close as I want and end up with a bad case of razor burn and lots of cuts - have gone to not saving on Saturday's to give my skin a break. Electric razors don't seem to work well on my neck either - the only thing that ever seemed to work well were Mac 3 disposables.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Gary Seven said:
I thought those were more prone to nicks and cuts.

I avoid using such a blade around the nose since it's easier to navigate with an electric shaver or even a cartridge. But otherwise I find it not difficult to avoid cuts.

Yes, Badger and Blade is a good site, as is Sharpologist--register and get a free 47 page e-book on shaving!

Joe S

Second Unit
I switched to cartridges when the double edge blades became expensive and harder to find. So, where do you get inexpensive blades? I did hear about a return to double-edge shaving several years ago, never really looked into what is available today.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Aaron Silverman said:

4v460m.jpg

Oh, ok, yes I use these, but I have to be extra careful to avoid cuts. First time I used it after using the cartridge razors for practically my whole life, I butchered myself. Cut my face to ribbons.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Richard V said:
Oh, ok, yes I use these, but I have to be extra careful to avoid cuts. First time I used it after using the cartridge razors for practically my whole life, I butchered myself. Cut my face to ribbons.
You might need a less aggressive razor. Mine is so old that I have no idea the brand(bought it at an antique shop when I was in college), but I bought a "new one" 15 years ago that was really aggressive. Hated it, sold it.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I switched to a Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor about 18 months ago. I don't care for the Merkur blades, though. I prefer the Wilkinson Sword blades. I bought 100 of the Wilkinson blades for $20.00. Compare that to $3-$4 apiece for Gillette Fusion blades and the safety razor has paid for itself. I have a beard but I do shave my neck and my cheeks.

The key to avoiding nicks and cuts is to let the blade do the work. In other words, don't use too much pressure. A little practice is all it takes.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Joe S said:
I switched to cartridges when the double edge blades became expensive and harder to find. So, where do you get inexpensive blades? I did hear about a return to double-edge shaving several years ago, never really looked into what is available today.

Amazon has them. I use Wilkinson Sword double edge blades. You can get a box of 100 blades for $20.10.

CarlLaFong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Wheeler
Amazon also sells a package of many blades from assorted manufacturers. A good way to find which blade best suits your beard and skin. I like Derby blades the best but you might well prefer another brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks