What's new

Escape From New York Collector's Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

109611_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Having never previously ordered this on Blu-ray, I am game for this edition.

I am hoping it has the extra beginning sequence with the bank robbery (if I remember that correctly)

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Only info I recall reading so far is that it's a whole brand new transfer -- which could very we'll be a good thing.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
How many times are they going to release this...most of us know it by heart!!! The beautiful 2 disc fold-out DVD with collectors booklet, then the BD and now those fools want you, not me, to buy it again.

Come on...there's tons of others we want on BD, not this rehash!

Rant off.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Checked the info on it so far: new 2k transfer from the IP, two bds with more extras than what was on the dvd special edition (specifics in Feb.).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Encouraging news so far.

I can understand people being pissed off at the rehash releases.

I never owned this on Blu-ray. I wanted the Special Edition with the original opening.

Not certain that has been made available to date. I don't think so, otherwise I would

have bought the previous Blu-ray.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I only have the anamorphic double sided DVD from MGM (P/S on one side and widescreen on the other). If the price is right, I will bite.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Ron,

Although it is nice to see the "original" opening I believe that John Carpenter was quite right in dropping it as it does "slow" down this great movie. A personal favorite ( I have bought many versions of this in differing formats ) but will not buy again unless it is really, really special. I envy you folks who may be seeing it for the first time :)

Regards,

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh, I agree that it may not be the optimal way to start the film, but now that

it is out there, I want that option to have it.

I am hoping this Shout Factory release restores it via Branching.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I have the deluxe DVD but never picked this one up on Blu-ray, so everything about it sounds great to me.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I've been waiting for the great stuff from the 2-disc DVD SE to be ported over, so this will be an easy purchase.

When it was released on BD before, I stayed away as that was a simple bare-bones affair.

The original opening on the SE is presented separately from the movie, with new music by Carpenter and an optional commentary with Carpenter and Russell. Even Russell admits at the end of the reel, "Good cut!" The movie simply works better without it. I'm glad I've been able to see it, and like with much deleted material included on DVDs, I'm glad it was never thrown back onto the movie.

Hard to believe this movie is almost 35 years old. An example of Carpenter in his prime Hollywood period, after the Halloween movies and before The Thing. It doesn't all work, but it's a delirious ride when it does.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The original blu-ray is extremely weak. Definitely needed a new transfer.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
There's very little rehashing with this Shout release. First proper Blu-ray release and new 2K scan. And Shout likes to add extras. What's not to like?

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
So glad I held off on buying the previous, barebones BD release. This is an insta-buy for me. :)

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Great movie if its a new transfer ( the existing BD's are pretty poor) I will pay over the odds to import to UK again :rolleyes: like I had to with all the other Carpenter Scream Factory Region A locked BD's ;)

I know its a licensing restriction to Region A lock for North American markets only but there is still a global audience for a lot of the releases Scream Factory put out ;)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
To get into the minutiae of licencing, this title is owned by StudioCanal. I would not be surprised in the least to see Arrow licence it for a UK release and use the same harvest.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Arrow doesn't have luck with SC, it seems. They couldn't get MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH, for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks