What's new

Poll: Who is your favorite 60s Batman Series Villain? (1 Viewer)

Who is Your Favorite 60s Batman Villain? (Part 1)

• The Riddler (John Astin)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Catwoman (Eartha Kitt)

• Mr. Freeze (Otto Preminger)

• Mr. Freeze (Eli Wallach)

• The Puzzler (Maurice Evans)

• Clock King (Walter Slezak)

• Egghead (Vincent Price)

• The Bookworm (Roddy McDowall)

• Shame (Cliff Robertson)

• Total voters

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
batman.gif
Unknown.png
1696224-batman_tv_series_great_quality___2_bonus_movies_1960s_84869.jpg
NOTE
PLEASE ONLY SELECT ONE VILLAIN
I was only able to list a limited amount of villains. The only villain not included was:​
Colonel Gumm (Roger C. Carmel)
Did not feel this would be a popular villain​
Since the polling structure forces you to vote in BOTH polls (questions), I added an OTHER option that you can select to allow you just to vote once in either the first or second poll.​

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
​PLEASE ONLY SELECT ONE VILLAIN
Since this poll forces you to vote in both questions, please use the OTHER selection at the bottom of one of the two polls to indicate you voted in the other.
Again, just pick ONE Villain

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My adult self has a new appreciation for The Joker, The Riddler (Gorshen), and especially Catwoman (Newmar). As a kid I liked Catwoman 'cause she was *hot* but as a adult I can add her great lines (dialog... get your mind out of the gutter! ;) ), and fun situations to the mix. I also really enjoyed King Tut (Buono) and especially the episode with Egghead (Price). Price was obviously having *lots* of fun with the role and it made it just that much more enjoyable! If you've not done so you need to watch the Egghead 2 parter with the sub-titles on. The eggxellent dialog is spelled out as spoken and is quite fun to read! I'm only about half-way through S2 so there are some I've not yet seen. Currently the only villain I didn't much care for was Shame, although I *got* more of the "jokes" as a adult.

But - my hands-down favorite Bat Villain of all time is Penguin. I purchased the HeroClix versions because they look like Burgess Meredith. I absolutely love how he keeps the cigarette holder firmly in place during *all* his dialog. And every word is understandable!

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Catwoman's aside to her henchman, "You can brush my pussy willows before you leave," almost made me spit soda.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Newmar is iconic for me (albeit IMO not written as well after her first appearance which is her best), but my vote had to go for Joan Collins. She is the only one in the entire series who has an actual, genuine super power in contrast to all the other villains who have certain gimmicks/costumes but no actual power they draw from. She deserved a two part episode and a return visit!

024.jpg

High C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andante
I also voted for Joan Collins as The Siren. As Jack P said, she was the only baddie who had a legit superpower and I thought Collins did a good job of making her believable. In fact, one can see the seeds of Alexis Carrington Colby being sown here, as Joan flashes that same kind of charismatic evil she eventually would as Alexis.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Super tough one but had to go with Julie Newmar's Catwoman! She's the one I've always remembered loving the most and have loved the episodes I've seen with her so far in watching the new set.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
False Face. As kids we couldn't stop talking about the the first episode he was in. We were mesmerized by the unpredictability of it all.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Scott Merryfield said:
This was a tough one. I voted for Frank Gorshin, but honorable mention definitely goes to Julie Newmar, Cesar Romero and Burgess Meredith. Gorshin just made The Riddler come alive.

Because Gorshin was throwing so much into his Richard Widmark/Tommy Udo impression (he was a nightclub impressionist at the time, that's how he got the role, and that's why he had to sit out Season 2), he was the one taking it the most seriously, even in Season 1 where everyone took it seriously.

I'll give Cesar Romero second place for giving the Joker his sardonic showoff elegance that certain later dead actors didn't--even if he was a relatively harmless prankster without being crazy--and Julie Newmar's overall score is hurt by having to do that much comedy in S2-3, although she could do tongue-in-cheek with the best when she had to. Haven't seen more than an episode or two of Eartha Kitt, so don't have enough evidence to judge whether she had a better snarl than Newmar.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Jack P said:
What, no Pengy for Mayor style ballot stuffing allowed? :)

Not only is the Penguin my favorite villain, but that two-parter is my favorite episode :)

High C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andante
Ejanss said:
Because Gorshin was throwing so much into his Richard Widmark/Tommy Udo impression (he was a nightclub impressionist at the time, that's how he got the role, and that's why he had to sit out Season 2), he was the one taking it the most seriously, even in Season 1 where everyone took it seriously.

I'll give Cesar Romero second place for giving the Joker his sardonic showoff elegance that certain later dead actors didn't--even if he was a relatively harmless prankster without being crazy--and Julie Newmar's overall score is hurt by having to do that much comedy in S2-3, although she could do tongue-in-cheek with the best when she had to. Haven't seen more than an episode or two of Eartha Kitt, so don't have enough evidence to judge whether she had a better snarl than Newmar.
I agree with your opinion on Gorshin; he certainly was giving it his all. But the reason he wasn't in season 2 was that he wanted a raise from $3,500 to $5,000 per appearance, and showrunner William Dozier refused.

I can see both sides. I'm sure Dozier felt he had to toe the line on salaries or else all of the 'Big 4' would want a raise, but certainly Gorshin was the breakout villain star of season 1.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I'm an off the beaten path kind of guy. Got bored of Penguin, Joker, Riddler, etc. My 2 personal faves were Slezak as Clock King and George Sanders as Mr. Freeze. I actually an extremely rare autograph in my collection of Sanders in the Freeze costume. Sanders been dead for more than 40 years.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
as a kid, i liked the riddler the best.

to be honest, i dont think i will enjoy the show that much, as an adult

although if there is a good sale down the road on the blu-rays, i will get it

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks