What's new

Getting rid of cable (1 Viewer)

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
thinking of getting rid of cable. anyone have suggestions how to go about watching stuff when if i do. i watch alot of sports thats my biggest concern. i know i can get my tv shows on hulu pretty quick or on the channels website. atleast i hope lol

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Did you try rabbit ears...or go full on with an outdoor antenna?Go to antennaweb.org and it tells you what direction all the stations are...and you can figure out the type of antenna.Granted, I'm in boonies...I put up an enormous antenna at both houses. I'm in the right location for Indianapolis and Chicago. When clear, can pick up Milwaukee and have picked up Fort Wayne and Grand Rapids.The Winegard MS-2002 is the perfect urban antenna. As long as it is not up against house, it has a 40 mile range.Before you take it outside, try in your attic. But, you can hijack the current cable, uhm, cable and run it up a pole.

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
I'm in apartment but I Did try an outdoor one not a huge one and the website says none can be picked up where I'm at

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
bjballar41 said:
I'm in apartment but I Did try an outdoor one not a huge one and the website says none can be picked up where I'm at
That is bizarre. Technically, your apartment complex can't tell you no when it comes to installing an antenna. But, they can stipulate it must be removed, when you move. And if installation causes screw holes outside...forget getting your deposit back.A friend of mine lives in Chicago proper, her apt(and most where she lives, along north shore, south of Loyola) has OTA and cable service. Both coax are right on the wall.What height did you put in for Antennaweb? If you know the approximate height of the building, add 20 feet(how much higher you can go with a pole) and I'd find it hard to believe..."you get nothing".

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
I did over 30 feet and got nothing. I slid the point away from the airport some and it shows I could get some away from it

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is one option....Remove your cable box, depending on your TV, connect the coax directly to it. Some cable companies don't scramble the OTA signal that their lines attract. They are allowed to scramble...but it costs money to scramble.And set the TV as "OTA"...not cable. You want the tuner to accept over the air...not the cable feed.

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
I'll try that. I also found out I think I can do sports on the Xbox and just get a live subscription

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
Ok so cable gets cut off next month. Here's my plan let me know if y'all see any holes. I'm gonna leave internet on of course. Get Netflix and probably get dish sling thing for now. May get an Xbox subscription. Other than that I'd have to get Roku or nexus player and one more chromecast. I may add hulu if I'm not happy but I did look at it and some of the channels I wasn't happy with selection especially history. I'll get local through wall there is no scrambling so I'll get a few that way

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
A few years ago I lived in a small town 60 miles away from where the major networks were broadcasting from and couldn't pick up any of them. My cable company had an unadvertised package of stations including not much more than nbc, cbs, abc, fox, and pbs for $20 a month. If your attempt to pick up ota stations fails and you will miss them it's worth checking to see if anything like that is available.

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
I have heard of that thanks for letting me know. It does come in ota it says so I'll keep an eye out

Defshep

Agent
Real Name
Vance
I've done it, and didn't miss cable at all. Had a decent HD antenna, Hulu and Netflix. Crackle is a sometimes decent free movie streaming channel. With HBO allowing online only subscribers to enjoy HBO Go, more viewing options may be opening up soon.

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
I know I'm pretty excited. I only do hbo for game of thrones so I borrow someone's stuff for it

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
Im getting nervous that im gonna regret cutting the cable. i dont feel like hulu offers what i thought it did. i thought you could watch almost every tv show the next day but from what im seeing thats not true. i cant do watch espnnow cause of my cable company they said they are hoping to have it sometime soon but who knows how long that is. i guess worst case i can cancel cable and get it back if i dont like it. right now im gonna do netflix and sling and see how that goes.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
bjballar41 said:
Im getting nervous that im gonna regret cutting the cable. i dont feel like hulu offers what i thought it did. i thought you could watch almost every tv show the next day but from what im seeing thats not true. i cant do watch espnnow cause of my cable company they said they are hoping to have it sometime soon but who knows how long that is. i guess worst case i can cancel cable and get it back if i dont like it. right now im gonna do netflix and sling and see how that goes.
You have to pay for Hulu(Plus) to watch TV shows the following 24-48 hours.

You can't even search HP content without paying for Hulu.

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
i checked out my cousins hulu i mean its decent but i feel like some things are missing or i was expecting more. like soa (sons of anarchy) they just put up the final season. i thought it came out like the next day

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks