What's new

Lets watch 1985 flicks! (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I had a brilliant idea: once a week for the next 52 weeks (give or take), I am going to watch something that came out in 1985. Now of course we cant go all over the time-stream all wibbly wobbly. Nay! It's got to be in sequence! Some of it will be easy: Back to the Future, Firday the 13th V, ANoES 2, The Last Dragon - most of those I have on my shelf already. But some of these weeks - hell, I've not even heard of those flicks!

Here's the list I'm working from: http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/year/1985

And according to them, January first saw Defence of the Realm, Hot Moves and Tomboy come out that week. So join me if you want, watch if you dare, post if you're so inclined. Meanwhile I'm going to enjoy this blast from the past!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
What the hell? What is so special about 1985?Just kidding. I love everything about this year, movies and tv.Don't even get me started on my after school programming lineup I painstakingly constructed so I could watch my cartoons on dvd the way I originally watched them when I was 12.Thunder cats, G.I. joe, Transformers, MASK, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors.When it comes to movies, there is no better year from that decade.Heaven Help Us, Spies Like Us, Back To The Future the list goes on, and on.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Bryan^H said:
What the hell? What is so special about 1985?
Well, it's like...thirty years. So.
(The fact that it just HAPPENED to be the Breakfast Club/Back to the Future/Remo Williams/Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome year just sort of lucked out.)

Speaking of thirty years, anyone planning to hoverboard over to the premiere of Max Spielberg's "Jaws 19" at the Hill Valley Holoplex next summer '15? :lol:
Bryan^H said:
When it comes to movies, there is no better year from that decade.
A-hem:
1985 may have more iconic "80's movies", but it was no 1982. :angry:
(It wasn't even 1981.)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Why? No real reason other than it was 30 years ago and the start of a new year and all that. So for this week, the choices are . . . .

Political thriller:

Naughty sex comedy:

Teen comedy:

None of them are streaming (that I could find) and since this was kind of an impromptu idea, it's off to the video store for me! We'll see which ones they have (if any) and what I come back with!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I didn't wind up going to the video store, but my mom stopped for me on the way over to my place for my birthday party (aside: yay me!). She didn't get me one like I asked, she got me all three! Well, didn't expect that!

Anyway, started with Defense of the Realm, a cold war political thriller starring Gabriel Byrne and Denholm Elliott (the only thing I've seen him in outside of Indy) and Robbie Coltrane. It's a good flick, even if I had no idea what the hell was going on most of the time. Clues, misdirection, coverups, lies and backstabbing all make for a "Wait? Who the hell is that? Why did that just happen?" evening. Clearly a second watching is in order now that I know how the ending plays out.

Anyway, now to put on a much less brain power intensive flick, the Porky's knock-off: Hot Moves.

***edit***
Okay, just finished off Hot Moves. Yeah, it's just what I expected: a teen sex romp comedy, like so many other of it's ilk in the eighties. Four high school boys vow to get laid over summer break and go into their senior year as Men. The film is pretty much: one of the four has a chance to score, and then something happens to cock block him - a picture of Nixon at the wrong moment, the date turns out really to be a man, the house gets set on fire and so on. Totally brain dead, mostly harmless, occasionally clever (the "Chariots of Fire" scene with a harem of hawt young girls running nude on the beach in slow motion over a bed of Vangellis-like music was actually kind of funny) and a terrible, forgettable yet entertaining flick.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
There wasn't a whole lot of stuff there that I have, or want to have, guess it shows my age (I was 25 in -85), or my taste in movies, but by mid December I am happy, Brazil is a true gem :)
I like the idea though, maybe another year would suit me better ...

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It kills me that Murphy's Romance is not available on Blu-Ray, but is available in HD streaming :angry:

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
My list of top films from 1985:

DAGGER OF KAMUI (Japan)
DORAEMON: NOBITA’S LITTLE STAR WARS (Japan)
GOSHOGUN: TIME ETRANGER (Japan)
INVASION U.S.A. (U.S.)
A JOURNEY THROUGH FAIRYLAND (Japan)
MARTIAL ARTS OF SHAOLIN (Hong Kong/China)
MR. VAMPIRE (Hong Kong)
MY LUCKY STARS (Hong Kong)
NIGHT ON THE GALACTIC RAILROAD (Japan)
PEE WEE’S BIG ADVENTURE (U.S.)
POLICE STORY (Hong Kong)
RAMBO: FIRST BLOOD PART II (U.S.)
TWINKLE TWINKLE LUCKY STARS (Hong Kong)
URUSEI YATSURA MOVIE 3: REMEMBER MY LOVE (Japan)
VAMPIRE HUNTER D (Japan)
YES MADAM (Hong Kong)

Seven anime, + three with Jackie Chan, one with Jet Li and one with the formidable duo of Michelle Yeoh and Cynthia Rothrock.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Enemy Mine (1985) Dolby Stereo 4.0 on DVD oh and laserdisc theatrical as the DVD is extended with differences in the opening first space battle where small changes in score is made on the DVD.

hollywood has been hiding the truth our politicians are reptilians. :lol:

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Vic Pardo said:
My list of top films from 1985:
Seven anime, + three with Jackie Chan, one with Jet Li and one with the formidable duo of Michelle Yeoh and Cynthia Rothrock.
Eh, UY 3 was okay, but it wasn't Beautiful Dreamer. (Although nothing could be, and at least 3 wasn't the trainwreck that 4 was.)

For those of us in the states, 1985 was:
- Witness
- The Breakfast Club
- Lost in America
- Purple Rose of Cairo
- The Sure Thing
- The Last Dragon
- Cat's Eye
- The Company of Wolves
- A View to a Kill (okay, the worst Roger Moore, but it looked cool at the time)
- Fletch
- The Goonies (although those who saw it in theaters at the time are somewhat less nostalgic)
- Back to the Future
- Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
- Silverado
- Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
- Sesame Street: Follow That Bird
- Real Genius
- Return of the Living Dead
- Teen Wolf
- After Hours
- Remo Williams: the Adventure Begins
- Re-Animator
- Santa Claus: the Movie
- Young Sherlock Holmes
- Clue
- Brazil
- Enemy Mine
...and a few others.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Rambo II
Cocoon
A View To A Kill
Real Genius
Back to the Future
Witness
Teen Wolf
Clue
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Weird Science
Misfits of Science
Remo Williams: Unarmed And Dangerous
Cats Eye

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I finally got Tomboy off my plate last night - a reasonably inoffensive silly 80s romantic sex comedy from Crown International Flims, masters of the Drive-In flick. If you've seen flicks like The Van, the Pom-Pom Girls or Van Nuys Boulevard, you know exactly what you're getting: poorly acted and badly directed nonsense full of teen drama, some skin, a little bit of car stunt-work and a wicked 80's soundtrack. Goofy fun that's ultimately forgettable.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
WEEK TWO:
* Too Scared to Scream

Okay, looks like the second week is a Bye Week. Only one movie came out, it's not on DVD and I can't even find a trailer on youtube. What a different time 1985 was - a week without a hollywood release just blows my mind. That would never happen these days.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I don't remember 1985 films that fondly apart from Room with a View, the rather limp Bond flick A View to A Kill and the over-directed The Color Purple. This was around the time when studios were becoming more dependent on video revenues and some pretty weak films got greenlit knowing they'd recoup their investment on VHS rentals.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Fun topic, :)

But 1984 was a better movie year :)

1985 movies that captivated me were ( that I can remember)

Witness
Back To The Future
Out Of Africa
Cocoon
Fletch
Silverado

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Oh you guys - 1985 gave us The Last Dragon. That right there makes '85 superior to every single year past, present and future. Thus your argument is invalid!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks