What's new

Gunsmoke releases in Germany (1 Viewer)

Wonderfrog68

Agent
Real Name
Pascal
FYI, Seasons 13 and 14 of Gunsmoke have been released in Germany (with English soundtrack) . Each set goes for about $45. Season 15 will be released in early February.

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
I have searched Amazon Germany and cannot find these releases. Suggest you post a link Wonderfrog.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
My take on the German releases is that you aren't getting the CBS remastering. Sames as the releases from Australia. According to the CBS syndication bible they aren't up to those seasons yet. So while going that route can get you releases earlier, just know the quality won't be up to the standards of the US releases, when they finally come out.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I've really been enjoying the US releases of Gunsmoke from CBS. I only just started Season 9, so I for one can wait for the top-notch remasters that have been released so far. No sign of them stalling this series yet.

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
I have a friend in Germany who bought the Season 13 and Season 14 releases. (He said they skipped Season 12.) He was so disappointed with the picture quality (not remastered) that he said he was returning them. He did say they were uncut.

I am hoping CBS/P will continue to release uncut, remastered seasons here in the U.S. I just wish they would move a little faster as I am of the age where I don't know which will be finished first - the series or me.

Wonderfrog68

Agent
Real Name
Pascal
The German title for Gunsmoke israunchende ColtsVolume eins corresponds to season 13Volume zwei corresponds to season 14When I get the DVDs later this week, I'll check out the image quality.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I have seasons 8 through 13 of Bonanza from Germany and seasons 5 through 7 of Rawhide from Australia. All are acceptable and were purchased at times when it looked like CBS may not continue with those particular series, but they don't compare with the CBS DVD's dowgraded from HD masters. I can't say about the Gunsmokes having not seen them. But from experience I would assume them to be anywhere from decent enough to barely acceptable (if they are washed out like what I've seen syndicated). If one can wait it out, I would recommend holding out for the US releases. I believe Gunsmoke season 12 is slated for December 2015. However, at an average of likely no more than one season being released a year that may be too slow for some to wait.

Wonderfrog68

Agent
Real Name
Pascal
I watched "The wreckers" this morning. The episode was uncut but they haven't remastered the picture but it is sill very nice to watch. You get the menu in English, they have also included English subtitles.

Wonderfrog68

Agent
Real Name
Pascal
They have now released seasons 15 and 16. Seasons 17 and 18 will be out on June 2nd. Seasons 19 and 20 should be released in September. I thoroughly enjoy watching these episodes although the picture quality is not perfect. At least the sound is brilliant and the episodes are uncut. Moreover, the English subtitles are helpful every time Festus opens his mouth.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the update.

Though I'm fine at the moment waiting for the remastered US releases to continue (despite CBS's putting them out by volume and at a snail's pace), it's good to know that the remainder of the series is available somewhere else in case CBS ever decides to give up on either the show or on TV on DVD altogether. As with Ironside, McCloud, and Alfred Hitchcock Presents/Hour, it's good to have a back-up option when the Region 1 releases fizzle.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Note that season 16 - 'vol four' - apparently is the edited German versions with episodes cut to around 41 minutes according to some rather annoyed German fans on Amazon.de !

vols 5 and 6 - seasons 17 and 18 - have now been put back to July I note, maybe this is something to do with irate German purchasers of season 16 ?

Good to hear the US release of season 12 is due in December 2015.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks