What's new

Classic TV Shows Not Fully Released On DVD with Upcoming Milestone Anniversaries in 2015 (1 Viewer)

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Recently saw on Facebook, that one of my holy grail shows, "Knots Landing" marked it's 35th Anniversary, in which the first episode aired on December 27, 1979. That made me curious to know if possibly this series MIGHT get completed in 2015, since most studios try to do DVD releases around a t.v. show / movie milestone anniversary (At least that is what I am hoping!!!)

Another one of my holy grail shows "The Drew Carey Show" will mark it's 20th anniversary in 2015. Warner Brother's owns both "Knots Landing" and "The Drew Carey Show". So I am hoping either Warner Brothers or possibly Shout Factory or even Star Vista will do for these t.v. shows what they did for the 1966 "Batman", "WKRP In Cincinnati" and "The Wonder Years" last year. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thoughts on any of your "Holy Grail" Shows with milestone anniversaries in 2015 and have not been fully released on DVD yet?

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
My wife and I were both huge fans of KL and I would really like to see it fully released, BUT I'm not sure how well it would hold up.

And TDCS, which a favorite sitcom of mine until about the last two seasons, I have a feeling that music clearances would be difficult. There is so much good music in the series that I can't imagine it would be easy to get it all ok'd for DVD release, which is a real shame.

But I would def be on board for either release.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
"Saturday Night Live" is celebrating its' 40th anniversary next year. Celebrations are already underway with the release of an updated "Live From New York" and an anniversary special planned for February, but what would really be the cake would be resuming the release of SNL seasons on DVD. Knowing the mixed reputation seasons 6 through 11 have, and the fact that Lorne Michaels likes to pretend that, with the exceptions of Eddie Murphy, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and certain Season 10 cast members, that SNL was on hiatus from 1980 to 1985, we probably won't see anything in the way of season sets again. It would be nice, though...If you're watching episodes of SNL from season 6 onwards online, you're not getting the whole show, since the musical guests are eliminated after season 5 and most sketches with copyrighted music are excluded from online prints of season 6 onwards as well (barring certain sketches like "Buckwheat Sings" or "More Cowbell", which achieved memetic status to the point where they're considered important parts of the show's history).

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I know I've spoken about resuming SNL seasons on DVD several times, but it's because I feel the show deserves better treatment than the hacked-up prints that are on Yahoo and Hulu.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Amazing Stories will be 30 years old in 2015 and if Universal won't finally release the complete second season on pressed discs or consider licensing it to another distributor such as Shout!, maybe they (or a another distributor) will consider a complete series release on pressed discs. Having already bought the complete first season when it was released in 2006, it's not ideal solution but I am dying to own the whole series released on DVD.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Kolchak: The Night Stalker will be 41 years young in 2015; what a wonderful opportunity for Universal to re-release the complete series on single-sided pressed discs! ;)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Celebrating 50th Anniversaries are:
Green Acres which is woefully unfinished needing only *three* seasons for completion.
The Smothers Brothers Show has seen only a couple of "Best of" releases.

Celebrating 60th Anniversaries are:
Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Gunsmoke

At least Hitchcock and Gunsmoke appear to still be ongoing. I'd *love* to see a 50th Anniversary Full Series set of Green Acres in 2015 and those two "Best Of" releases of The Smothers Brothers Show just served as appetizers!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Green Acres only got to the halfway mark and is three seasons short of completion.

I still think this one is a safe bet. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Shout revisit it in 2015 (They've spoken on this very board about how they nearly had a deal struck for it several years ago).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
LeoA said:
Green Acres only got to the halfway mark and is three seasons short of completion.

I still think this one is a safe bet. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Shout revisit it in 2015 (They've spoken on this very board about how they nearly had a deal struck for it several years ago).
Thanks Leo! Fixed... I have great hopes with Shout! on this one, especially considering all the classic TV they got to us last year!

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
BobO'Link said:
Thanks Leo! Fixed... I have great hopes with Shout! on this one, especially considering all the classic TV they got to us last year!
I agree. If Shout can finish Mister Ed with a complete set, they can finish Green Acres as well. I think this has a great chance of being completed in 2015.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
BobO'Link said:
Celebrating 50th Anniversaries are:
Green Acres which is woefully unfinished needing only *three* seasons for completion.
The Smothers Brothers Show has seen only a couple of "Best of" releases.

Celebrating 60th Anniversaries are:
Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Gunsmoke

At least Hitchcock and Gunsmoke appear to still be ongoing. I'd *love* to see a 50th Anniversary Full Series set of Green Acres in 2015 and those two "Best Of" releases of The Smothers Brothers Show just served as appetizers!
I would love to see Universal release Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6 and 7 on pressed discs and then release all 3 seasons of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour on pressed discs.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
BobO'Link said:
And maybe Amazon will foul up the preorder price....lol

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Hart to Hart had it's 35th anniversary last year, IIRC, and while I'm very definitely looking forward to No. 5 (1983-84) in 2015, I have thoroughly been enjoying No. 3 (1981-82), and am also very much looking forward to No. 4 (1982-83) as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks