What's new

Green Hornet TV series (1 Viewer)

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
I know that this has probably been asked elsewhere, but....

Now that Warner's finally released the much requested Batman TV series on Blu-ray, is there any hope for The Green Hornet TV series to be released on Blu-ray as well?

Raul

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Would it be the same release situation as Batman? Warners would have to negotiate with Fox to release it?

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Would it be the same release situation as Batman? Warners would have to negotiate with Fox to release it?
Fox would have to deal with the George W. Trendle estate, because the character was his creation for a radio series that began in the 1930s and lasted until the 1950s.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
oldtvshowbuff said:
Fox would have to deal with the George W. Trendle estate, because the character was his creation for a radio series that began in the 1930s and lasted until the 1950s.
Thanks for the information!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
oldtvshowbuff said:
The word is the Estate wants a share greater than Fox is willing to give.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I saw a few episodes of it when it was originally broadcast, but I was so happy a few years ago when Encores ran the entire series, and I got to watch all of them. Should have made DVD copies of them when I had the chance. Hopefully, we'll get this one of these days.

I agree about the Seth Rogan Green Hornet. Bad in every sense of the word and completely lackluster 3D to boot!

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Yes, Seth Rogan's Green Hornet was an abomination in all respects. Perhaps the car was the only decent thing in the movie.

I was lucky enough to catch all the eps on Retroplex channel and recorded them all. I am curious to see how this would look on Blu-Ray. It is a pretty dark series where even a dark filter appeared to be used for daylight scenes. Would they brighten it up or leave as is? I think the music of this series is great and would hope the audio would be lossless.

I did watch this when it was on originally as a young lad. I was mesmerized by Kato as I had never seen anything like it. I had the Corgi car (worth a lot from what I understand) and the lunchbox. Unfortunately, like my youth, long gone.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I also watched the series when it aired on Encore, and lucky I recorded it on DVD. The first episode, The Silent Gun was missing it's tag on the print Encore aired. As I already had access to the series from copies made off a film chain, I was able to edit on a pretty decent quality tag onto that episode, plus the missing IN COLOR slate.

When SyFy broadcast the series a couple of times, they had some of missing recaps from the 2 parters that Encore didn't air, so I was able to edit those onto my copies to make the most complete episodes possible.

I hope some day the series is released, and uncut.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
I have it on dvd but only transfers from the VHS recordings I made 20 years ago. It is a great companion piece to Batman but with just 26 episodes I wonder if Warner feel the return will warrant the time and effort spent on Batman which is far more popular and has more episodes to sell.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
youworkmen said:
I have it on dvd but only transfers from the VHS recordings I made 20 years ago. It is a great companion piece to Batman but with just 26 episodes I wonder if Warner feel the return will warrant the time and effort spent on Batman which is far more popular and has more episodes to sell.
Warners has nothing to do with this--the Green Hornet is not a DC character. The dispute is strictly between Fox and the Trendle and Striker estates (which have their own internecine issues).

Mike S.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Whether its Warner or not , the problem could be the same .
Not enough return for the work involved in making everyone happy

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
The only problem with this show is the WORST DAY FOR NIGHT IN ANY 1960'S TV SHOW (Even the "Mission:Impossible" Day for Night wasn't this bad!)

If this show EVER got a DVD/Blu release they need to do something about fixing those digitally.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
DeWilson said:
The only problem with this show is the WORST DAY FOR NIGHT IN ANY 1960'S TV SHOW (Even the "Mission:Impossible" Day for Night wasn't this bad!)

If this show EVER got a DVD/Blu release they need to do something about fixing those digitally.
The problem with fixing them is twofold.

1 - it would cost the studio additional money to prep the set.

2 - You would have so called purists complaining and moaning that it doesn't look like it did when originally aired.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
bretmaverick2 said:
The problem with fixing them is twofold.

1 - it would cost the studio additional money to prep the set.

2 - You would have so called purists complaining and moaning that it doesn't look like it did when originally aired.
1- They still have to color-time the series when transfering to Blu-Ray so the additional costs would be minimal to do that work.

2- Yes a handful of purists would complain, but after watching the show regularly in different formats and broadcasts over 28 years, would be nice to see night done right! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks