What's new

HD cable box to receiver not working (1 Viewer)

Lucian Sterling

Auditioning
I just got an HD cable box and it is hooked to the CBL/SAT input on my receiver via HDMI. My other things(PS3, blu ray player) is also hooked via HDMI to its own receiver input and finally I have an HDMI out from my receiver to my TV HDMI in. I switch my TV input to HDMI1 and everything works except for cable. There is no picture and no sound(screen is just blue). Does anyone know why the HDMI set up works for everything but my cable box?

I found a solution, but I'm not sure if quality is lost. I connected my cable box via HDMI directly to my TV HDMI2 and for audio, I used the red/white cable from cable to receiver's CBL/SAT red/white.

There is a digital audio output on my receiver AND my TV. There is also a digital audio input on my receiver labeled TV/CD. I'm not sure I should do with these. I'm currently using HDMI1 for everything but cable and HDMI2 for cable(red/white for audio).

Thank you

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Did you hot swap HDMI cables?STB can be finicky. Turn them on first, then the AVR...last the TV. Also force a resolution in the STB(1080i tends to work best). Also make sure the AVR resolution is set "through" and not being scaled.But, with no model numbers...pissing in the wind.

Lucian Sterling

Auditioning
Yes I hot swapped the HDMI cables. Does it matter if my TV's 2 HDMI ports are labeled HDMI2(STB) HDMI2(DVI)? Both seem to do the same thing for me. I'm not sure how I would force a resolution in the STB and set the resolution "through".

My receiver is an Onkyo HTR592 and the cable box is Pace RNG110

Lucian Sterling

Auditioning
I went back, turned everything off and connected it how it is suppose to be. Cable box(HDMI) -> receiver CBL input then receiver HDMI out-> TV. Still no video and audio

If connecting directly to receiver is not possible for me, should I connect cable box to TV(HDMI2) and connect digital audio cable from cable box to receiver?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Connecting directly to the AVR is possible. You've mucked up the handshake going back and forth.Page 12 of your owners manual tells you where resolution settings are...Press settings.Press -> (best I can approximate) to cycle till you get to resolution setting.Leave 1080i "yes".Everything else "no".Once you've "un-mucked it", go back and reselect yes for the ones you want.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No, the 5600 does not have video scaling(cause I was going to suggest using component video/toslink, but that system doesn't have HDMI upconversion either).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks