What's new

Weekly RoundUp 12-23-2014 & 12-30-2014 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Posted Image

The Features

Posted Image

– MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM THE WEEKLY ROUNDUP!  :biggrin:

Posted Image

– The Equalizer – 2014

Posted Image

– Skidoo – 1968

Posted Image

– The Dark City – 1950

Posted Image

– Appointment With Danger – 1951

Posted Image

– Elsa & Fred – 2014

The Prices
Posted Image
The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

DVDs (Date) Amazon BestBuy Target

12-23-2014 New Releases      

7 Assassins (Lions Gate)  $14.96    
Backwoods (Echo Bridge)  $6.99    
Blue Tide (Pathfinder)  $14.99    
Continuum: Season 3 (Universal)  $30.19 $27.99  
Dominion: Season 1 (Universal)  $30.19 $27.99  
Just A Measure of Faith (Maverick)  $8.79    
My Favorite Martian: Season 2: Collector's Edition  (MPI)  $29.99    
Pride [2014]  (Sony)  $19.99    
Sanatorium (Lions Gate)  $19.99    
Traffickers $14.99    
Trip to Italy, The (MPI)  $19.99    
Wings: Sky Force Heroes (Lions Gate)  $9.99    

12-30-2014 New Releases      

Banshee (The Complete Second Season) (HBO)  $28.79    
Brittany Murphy Story, The (Lions Gate)  $12.73    
Elsa & Fred (Millennium)  $11.29    
Equalizer, The (Sony)  $17.99    
Kelly & Cal (MPI)  $19.99    
Last Weekend (MPI)  $22.48    
Reach Me $11.99    
Shameless (The Complete 4th Season) (Warner Bros.)  $28.74    
Stephen King's A Good Marriage $13.44    
Tusk (Lions Gate)  $12.99    
When Calls the Heart: Change of Heart (Millennium)  $9.96    
When Calls the Heart: Rules of Engagement (Millennium)  $9.99    
When Calls the Heart: Second Chances (Millennium)  $9.96    

Posted Image

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

Blu-rays (Date) Amazon BestBuy Target

12-23-2014 New releases      

Appointment with Danger (Blu-ray) (Olive Films)  $19.99    
Continuum: Season 3  (Blu-ray) (Universal)  $34.59 $32.99  
Dark City [1951] (Blu-ray) (Olive Films)  $19.99    
Dominion: Season 1 (Blu-ray) (Universal)  $37.39 $32.99  
Good Lie, The [Blu-ray CP] (Warner Bros.)  $19.99    
Hurry Sundown (Blu-ray) (Olive Films)  $19.99    
Pride [2014] (Blu-ray) (Sony)  $22.79    
Rope of Sand (Blu-ray) (Olive Films)  $19.99    
Skidoo (Blu-ray) (Olive Films)  $19.99    
Such Good Friends (Blu-ray) (Olive Films)  $19.99    
Traffickers $16.59    
Trip to Italy, The (Blu-ray) (MPI)  $22.99    
Union Station (Blu-ray) (Olive Films)  $19.99    

12-30-2014 New Releases      

Banshee (The Complete Second Season) (HBO)  $34.49    
Elsa & Fred (Blu-ray) (Millennium)  $14.96    
Equalizer, The (Blu-ray) (Sony)  $22.96    
Reach Me (Blu-ray) (Millennium)  $14.96    
Shameless (The Complete 4th Season) (Blu-ray) (Warner Bros.)  $34.96    
Tusk (Blu-ray) (Lions Gate)  $17.99    

Posted Image

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0); font-family: Arial;]Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review![/color]

DVDs (Date) Amazon BestBuy Target

12-30-2014 New Releases      

Abenteuer von Bärchen & Paco $11.07    
Das Goldene Märchenbuch $14.47    

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--For all the good little boys & girls who still have HD-DVD players in their systems, some new content from Germany next week!  Seems strange, but the Amazon listing is pretty clear:  

PRODUCT ALERT:
• IMPORTANT NOTICE: This high-definition disc will only play in an HD DVD player. It will not play in a standard-definition DVD player, Blu-ray player, or PS3. . 

--This week's Round-Up is a two-fer.  It contains the information for both this week (12-23-14) AND next week (12-30-14).  Please be careful when navigating the price grids and note the specific dates throughout the SPECIALS section.  I don't want anyone to get hurt.  :biggrin:  I don't have any of the catalog prices for the week of 12-30 yet.  Not sure if I'll be able to post them up when they surface.  

--The following recent releases are on sale at Best Buy from December 21 thru 12-24 (all BLU unless otherwise noted) (And with TV seasons, I cannot be certain for some titles as to which season is on sale):

$14.99:  True Blood: Season ?, Family Guy Trilogy, Rio/Epic, Snowpiercer, Divergent, Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Draft Day, Begin Again, Vampire Academy, Wolverine (double feature), Fruitvale Station, Percy Jackson (doule feature), Once: Season 1 (DVD), Walking Dead: S4 (DVD), Vampire Diaries: Season ? (DVD), Spartacus: S? (DVD), Archer: S? (DVD), Downton Abbey: Season 1 (DVD) (DVD), Supernatural: S9 (DVD), Psych :S? (DVD), Falling Skies: S3 (DVD), Tammy, Godzilla, 22 Jump Street, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Edge of Tomorrow.

$19.99:  Planet Earth, Doctor Who: Series ?, Walking Dead, Season ?, The Musketeers (BBD): Season ?, House of Cards: Season ?, The Americans: Season 1 (DVD), Under the DOme: Season ? (DVD), The Newsroom: Season 2 (DVD), Elementary: Season ? (DVD), American Horror Story-Asylum (DVD), The Purge: Anarchy, The Maze Runner.

$24.99:  X-Men: Complete Collection.

$54.99:  Harry Potter: Complete Collection.

$69.99:  Game of Thrones: Seasons 1 & 2.

$89.99:  The Wire: Complete Series (DVD)

$184.99:  The Sopranos: Complete Series

--On the dates of 12-26 & 12-27, Best Buy is advertising some $6.99 TV seasons/$9.99 DVD Movies/$14.99 Blu-ray Movies.  Here's what's shown in the ad:

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season ?, Family Guy Volume Ten, Archer: Season 3, Burn Notice: Season 6,  Neighbors, Lone Survivor, Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Divergent, Snowpiercer, Edge of Tomorrow, Godzilla, Draft Day.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends:  None to Report.

--From 12-21 through 12-24, Target has the following discs on sale (all DVD unless otherwise noted):

$9.99:  TMNT - The Beginning: Season 1

$10.99: Annie (Blu)

$14.99:  Rio 2 (Blu), The Maze Runner, The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

$15.00:  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu), X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu)

$15.99:  Transformers: Age of Extinction

$16.99:  The Expendables 3

$17.99:  22 Jump Street, Frozen

$19.99:  Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu), Pirate Fury (Blu), Hercules (2014) (Blu).

--Target is also advertising a slew of titles (DVD & Blu mixed) priced at $9.50, $9.99 and $14.99. 

--Target has the following TV Shows on DVD on sale the week of 12-21 through 12-24:

$14.99:  Grimm: Season 3
$19.99:  Arrow: Season 2, House of Cards: S2, Supernatural: S9, Vampire Diaries: S5.
$27.99:  Castle: Season 6, Scandal: S3, Once Upon a Time: S3, True Detective: S1

$29.99:  True Blood: Season 7, Game of Thrones: Season 3

--From 12-21 throu 12-24, Target is also advertising:

$19.99:  Back to the Future Trilogy (Blu)

$49.99:  Downton Abbey: Seasons 1-4 (DVD)

$64.99:  Game of Thrones; Seasons 1 & 2 (Blu)

$79.99: Star Wars Complete Saga (Blu)

$109.99:  Batman (1966) Complete Series (DVD)

--Target is advertising the following sale titles on December 26 & 27 (all DVD unless otherwise noted):

$10.00:  Neighbors, The Jersey Boys, Tammy, The Fault in Our Stars.

$13.009: Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu)

$15.00:  Maleficent (Blu), How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu), The Maze Runner (Blu), Godzilla (Blu), Edge of Tomorrow (Blu), Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

$15.99:  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

--Target has the following TV Shows on DVD on sale 12-26 & 12-27:

$9.99:  Dexter (each season)
$14.99:  The Simpsons: Season 17, Family Guy: Volume 13, Arrested Development: Season 4, Mad Men: Final Season.
$19.99:  NCIS: Season 11, Under the Dome: S2, The Strain: Season 1, Boardwalk Empire: S4.

$29.99:  Justified: Season 5

--Target Odds and Ends: From 12-21 through 12-24, a Buy 3 Get One Free sale on $5 DVDs.  On 12-26 & 12-27, Target has a listing of $9.50 DVDs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sorry I was a little late this week.

Don't forget to check out my poll--if you haven't yet--about reducing the size of the DVD section of the RoundUp.

I got caught up in wrapping Christmas presents and having my first-ever viewing of Pocketful of Miracles...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's a Christmas present to go along with this week's RoundUp.

How about a flashback to a December 2000 Circuit City ad to see what was on sale fourteen years ago? :biggrin:

gallery_286742_34_602494.jpg

Closeups of the ad sections:

gallery_286742_34_131422.jpg

gallery_286742_34_147467.jpg
gallery_286742_34_276167.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the nostalgia, Mike!The thing I will take to my grave about Circuit City was their horrendously managed Black Friday lines that seemed to weave their way through the entire store, making it impossible to reach anything but easy for a bunch of people to budge ahead of you in line.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the RoundUp! The end of the year usually is fairly vacant of big-name titles. I'm sure I'll add Pride to the collection at some point.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Unless there's something in a Christmas ad, I'll be taking this week off. I'll pick up the odd and very divisive Tusk next week though.

And if you want to see Denzel kicking some butt, The Equalizer is worth a rental.

Thanks for the prices, Mike! :)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I can't in good conscience get Pride right now...not for $23. I enjoyed the movie and recommend it, but that's a high price point. If it drops, I'll have a conversation with my Visa to make sure we're still on speaking terms after the last month or so. :D

Otherwise, I don't see anything that will cause me to rush to the store. Of course, as I'm out and about, I will stop into BB and prolly end up with an armload of stuff.

Thanks Mike!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
--This week's Round-Up is a two-fer. It contains the information for both this week (12-23-14) AND next week (12-30-14). Please be careful when navigating the price grids and note the specific dates throughout the SPECIALS section. I don't want anyone to get hurt. :biggrin: I don't have any of the catalog prices for the week of 12-30 yet. Not sure if I'll be able to post them up when they surface.
Here is Target information for the week of December 30th (catalog prices kicking in on Sunday, December 28th).

--The only New Release mentioned in their ad is The Equalizer: $16.99 DVD/$19.99 Blu.

--Target will also have the following titles for sale:

$14.99: Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu), Rio 2 (Blu)

$18.99: Frozen (DVD)

--Target Odds & Ends: They continue their Buy Three, Get One FREE sale on $5 DVDs.

=============================

Merry Christmas, everyone!
smilie008.gif

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
Thanks for the nostalgia, Mike!

The thing I will take to my grave about Circuit City was their horrendously managed Black Friday lines that seemed to weave their way through the entire store, making it impossible to reach anything but easy for a bunch of people to budge ahead of you in line.
You and I might've been standing side-by-side in the lines at that Circuit City store out at Crossgates Commons all those years ago, Adam!
smilie810.gif

The reason I happen to still have that December 2000 CC ad...is that's the ad that contained my first-ever surround system. I joined the HTF less than a year later. It was a system that Circuit City put together which featured a Sony receiver and a set of five Jensen speakers and subwoofer.

gallery_286742_34_392921.jpg

I thought that system was the bees knees. Certainly better than the speakers on my little CRT TV at the time!

I'm still a budget-minded guy (of course. D'uh! I put together the RoundUp each week!) but I have done a few upgrades along the way! :biggrin:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mike Frezon said:
$14.99: Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu)
smilie008.gif
I think (maybe) there's still a $5 coupon floating around for Mr. Peabody if anyone is interested in this title for cheap. I just picked up the DVD at Walmart for $4.96 ($9.96 - $5).

Below are coupons I've found recently. They're available through the Walmart website, but could be used anywhere. The Peabody coupon isn't showing, but it may be because I printed that one. Note that the below are not the actual coupons. You need to go to the website, "clip" the coupon, and print it out with all the barcodes and such.

coupons dec.JPG

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Malcolm R said:
I think there's still a $5 coupon floating around for Mr. Peabody if anyone is interested in this title for cheap. I just picked up the DVD at Walmart for $4.96 ($9.96 - $5).
Unless you printed the coupon yesterday, it seems to be off the coupons.com site now. The coupons been available since BF so that's a very good run for that site.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
David Norman said:
Unless you printed the coupon yesterday, it seems to be off the coupons.com site now. The coupons been available since BF so that's a very good run for that site.
It's probably gone then, as I think I printed it over the weekend.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The website a couple post above looks like the usual coupons.com website which seems to often work with
Walmart and often some of the coupons even have a Walmart logo on them though they work at any store
like most MQ -- always thought that was odd, but maybe WM and coupons have some sort of relationship.

Since the site is up. Blurays of Dawn of the POTA, XMen Days of Future Past, Let's Be Cops, and I think
Rio 2 are all 9.99 at BBY and/or Amazon which means lot of PM opportunities and coupon use at BBY, Target,
and Walmart -- $4.99 aren't bad price for those items.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Merry Christmas, Mike! "Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!”

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thank you as usual for the Roundup, Mike, and especially for taking the time out to do it during the holiday period for us. That being said, I, too, am done making purchases this year. The next new release I will get is Boyhood -- and why wasn't that made available on disc for year-end purchases, I wonder? I know it's available for streaming purchase now, but a digital download isn't so much a gift to unwrap, and it seems to me that the best-reviewed film of the year might have been a strong holiday seller.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I came here to post that Matt has posted his review of The Maze Runner (but then realized that was tied to the last RoundUp).

But HERE'S the link anyway! :biggrin:

==================

And, come to think of it...I can't believe no one is telling me how they plan on rushing out to buy those new HD-DVDs from Germany! :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks