What's new

Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. - The Complete Series - march release (1 Viewer)

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I enjoyed this show as a kid, but I'm not sure it would hold up well now.

Also, were any of the Andy Griffith Show characters ever crossed over to this show?? I don't recall.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, Opie and Aunt Bee appear in an episode. Gomer also goes back to Mayberry and the Taylors briefly appear in an episode.

The show holds up for me very well.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
jimmyjet said:
is this just a repackaging of seasons that were already out ?
Yes, my understanding is that the songs that were omitted in the season sets remain missing in this rehashed box set. Disappointing but not unexpected.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Carabimero said:
Yes, Opie and Aunt Bee appear in an episode. Gomer also goes back to Mayberry and the Taylors briefly appear in an episode. The show holds up for me very well.
Goober also appears which is great as they were only together on TAGS in one episode, I believe. I'm in complete agreement with you, Alan. GOMER held up very well for me and was really a fun watch again as I didn't know every episode by heart as I do TAGS.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Carabimero said:
Yes, my understanding is that the songs that were omitted in the season sets remain missing in this rehashed box set. Disappointing but not unexpected.
Hi Alan!

What songs were missing from the original set? I'm hoping that this doesn't include the main theme (The only GP: USMC "song" that I readily recall, as I haven't viewed this series regularly in well over 30 years!), as I'm considering preordering the latest reissue/repackaging! For me, that would be the only real deal breaker, as this is vying with other TV series that I've been recently considering (IE: The much more expensive 1966-68 BATMAN series, but it does include ALL of its original music!), and funds are limited! Frankly, I likely wouldn't know whether any other within episode music was missing or not, but I do find that viewing a fondly remembered show with obviously replaced theme music rather jarringly breaks the spell of being transported back to a happy aspect of my childhood! This is one reason why I won't even consider purchasing any of the MY THREE SONS DVD sets. That iconic 1960's Family Sitcom more than most, particularly begs for the original theme in my opinion, it is so memorable and catchy!

CHEERS! :) (And Merry Christmas!) :)

Tony

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There are several songs missing from the set, most regrettably for me is PUT ON A HAPPY FACE, a song that was the entire crux of the episode when Gomer befriends a lonely little girl. Oddly, some songs remain, like IMPOSSIBLE DREAM and BLOWIN' IN THE WIND. So it is a mixed bag, but for me, a very sad mixed bag. Given CBS' past unnecessary music replacements, I'm left to wonder if some great songs were removed from paranoia rather than from sound legal reasons. I hope it was the latter; I fear it was the former.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Carabimero said:
There are several songs missing from the set, most regrettably for me is PUT ON A HAPPY FACE, a song that was the entire crux of the episode when Carter befriends a lonely little girl. Oddly, some songs remain, like IMPOSSIBLE DREAM and BLOWIN' IN THE WIND. So it is a mixed bag, but for me, a very sad mixed bag. Given CBS' past unnecessary music replacements, I'm left to wonder if some great songs were removed from paranoia rather than from sound legal reasons. I hope it was the latter; I fear it was the former.
Hi Alan!

Thank you very much for your kind response! This is something that I will keep in mind as I consider my upcoming Home Video purchases!

By paranoia, are you referring to "political correctness?" This in my opinion, has become such an annoying 21st Century bugaboo!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
No, I am referring to the knee jerk fear of litigation due to use of music with potential clearance issues. We all know what happened to THE FUGITIVE. Thankfully it got fixed, but My Three Sons remains a potent reminder of how rampant paranoia, taken to extremes, can ruin a release.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Carabimero said:
No, I am referring to the knee jerk fear of litigation due to use of music with potential clearance issues. We all know what happened to THE FUGITIVE. Thankfully it got fixed, but My Three Sons remains a potent reminder of how rampant paranoia, taken to extremes, can ruin a release.
Hi Alan!

Honestly, when any given show's original (As opposed to say, the Spike Jonesified "William Tell Overture" used for SCTV's early seasons, another major heartbreaking example of a "failure to clear legal rights hurdles!") main theme fails to be cleared for inclusion, I think its Home Video release is almost pointless! It is my opinion that an attempt should have been made regarding the MY THREE SONS theme. Its exclusion is like having a Peanut Butter Sandwich without the Peanut Butter! If CBS was that worried about litigation, they bloody well should have moved heaven and earth to make certain that any potential rights issues regarding MY THREE SONS' most memorably iconic theme were cleared BEFORE even considering the show's Home Video issue!

CHEERS!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Carabimero said:
Hi Alan!

I'm just wondering on what information your understanding of the songs still being omitted from the upcoming GOMER PYLE: USMC reissue is based on? The reason I ask is because I haven't been able to find anything online one way or the other regarding this.

In any event, I've preordered the upcoming reissue, as it is priced at a relatively low $48.06 on Canadian Amazon. The way I see it, I can cancel later, as this set isn't being released until March 10!

Any confirmed information regarding this "new" GP set would be greatly appreciated!

Tony

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
TVShowsONDVD stated the discs were simply repressings of the season sets. If they weren't, if the music had been restored, you can believe CBS would be crowing about it, because it means people like me would double dip for it (and CBS knows that). So that is what I am basing my assumption on.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Carabimero said:
TVShowsONDVD stated the discs were simply repressings of the season sets. If they weren't, if the music had been restored, you can believe CBS would be crowing about it, because it means people like me would double dip for it (and CBS knows that). So that is what I am basing my assumption on.
Hi Alan!

It is indeed, too bad that CBS didn't take this opportunity to at least attempt to resolve whatever legal issues may have existed regarding the songs that were omitted from the first DVD release. While in my opinion, these omissions are probably not as glaring as if the GOMER PYLE: USMC original theme had to be substituted, they are still edits, nonetheless! Considering that, apart from a couple of episodes, I haven't viewed this series in over 30 years, coupled with the current low price on Canadian Amazon, I guess I can live with these!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
For what it's worth, I do think the new packaging is an improvement:

GomerPyleUSMC_Complete_f (1).jpg

More details: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Gomer-Pyle-USMC-The-Complete-Series/20566

It is stated that this set appears to be geared for those who haven't already purchased the individual seasons.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Season one is complete. It's after that the seasons start to be cut...if memory serves, seasons 3 and 4 were hardest hit...I remember being pleasantly surprised season 5 had so few deleted songs.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've never taken CBS/P's rampant cutting of songs as a sign of paranoia. I've just seen it as them hacking these sets out as cheaply as possible. Cut every bit of music so the cost is as low as possible... even if the songs are easily cleared.

We've seen this year that music rights aren't as high a hurdle as they once were, with some time, effort, and money on a company's part. But the easiest way for some is just to cut everything and figure that more people will buy it than be offended enough to leave it on the shelf. And most of the time, they're right.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Will this new full-series Gomer Pyle release be packaged after the same manner as Taxi, Mork & Mindy, and Family Ties (IOW, all the discs in cascading style in one or two oversized keepcases)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks