What's new

When did these VERY annoying pop-up ads start? (1 Viewer)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I don't mind the pretty snowflakes, but is anyone else getting a "follow" video pop-up ad nagging itself on the Main forum page blocking the middle of the links, or is my computer just bugged up?
(In my case, it's the same snotty schoolyard Windows vs. Apple laptop ad, but your nag may vary.)

Never shows up on the individual forum pages for some reason, assuming you can adjust your page up or down to get to them.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
This is a bug - and we are trying to get it fixed. Unfortunately, the folks who can fix this at our ad network are gone until Monday. Sorry!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jim517 said:
I keep getting ads from Mac popping up.
Jim,Me too. The one that I have seen is from Microsoft. It's a grey rectangle (situated near the top left) that scrolls up and down the screen as you try to move from thread-to-thread. This one began two or three days ago. I just put an ad blocker on and now everything is fine.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Ockeghem said:
Jim,Me too. The one that I have seen is from Microsoft. It's a grey rectangle (situated near the top left) that scrolls up and down the screen as you try to move from thread-to-thread. This one began two or three days ago. I just put an ad blocker on and now everything is fine.
To reiterate what Dave said, as a logged in member you should only see an ad on the top and bottom of the page, and one or two on the side bar. They shouldn't have any sound, popups, follow you etc. If you see something an ad with one of those things please report it so we can get it removed.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I messaged a moderator about this, he was hoping somebody would start a thread about it. Probably one of the most annoying things internet programmers have come up with.The only thing worse I've ever seen is our local paper running an ad where if your cursor came anywhere near the right side of the screen it would cause an ad to swoop across your entire screen. But at least it could be closed. Disabled pop-ups, etc. but doesn't work for many things.
The most surprising part was I paid the fee and am a subscriber. Obviously won't be renewing.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
For the past few days, I'm getting a "nag" screen, complaining that I use an ad blocker. Said screen blocks any activity for 30 seconds.

I must say that I'm annoyed by this. I just open a new tab, go to another site, then back here after 30 seconds have elapsed. If I want to use an ad blocker, I'm damn well going to use it. Why drive away your readers?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Danny Burk said:
For the past few days, I'm getting a "nag" screen, complaining that I use an ad blocker. Said screen blocks any activity for 30 seconds.

I must say that I'm annoyed by this. I just open a new tab, go to another site, then back here after 30 seconds have elapsed. If I want to use an ad blocker, I'm damn well going to use it. Why drive away your readers?
That's exactly the same one I'm getting. It's very annoying!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Stan said:
I messaged a moderator about this, he was hoping somebody would start a thread about it. Probably one of the most annoying things internet programmers have come up with.The only thing worse I've ever seen is our local paper running an ad where if your cursor came anywhere near the right side of the screen it would cause an ad to swoop across your entire screen. But at least it could be closed. Disabled pop-ups, etc. but doesn't work for many things.
The most surprising part was I paid the fee and am a subscriber. Obviously won't be renewing.
Stan-
Its not supposed to be there and as soon as the ad network people are in on Monday we will get it removed. As to subscriber, you don't appear to be. If you were you would have a supporter badge under your name similar to where mine says owner and Mike's says Moderator. I looked in the tool and dont see a record of it.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Adam Gregorich said:
Stan-
Its not supposed to be there and as soon as the ad network people are in on Monday we will get it removed. As to subscriber, you don't appear to be. If you were you would have a supporter badge under your name similar to where mine says owner and Mike's says Moderator. I looked in the tool and dont see a record of it.
Sent you a message about becoming a subscriber, honestly don't know how to do it. Gladly willing to support this site.

Poorly worded, but I meant I'm a subscriber to our local newspaper, able to access a "clean" version, minus all the advertising. They certainly lied about that, turned out to be false.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Stan,
At the top of the page there is a link that says "Go Premium". If you just click that, you can choose your bonus Blu-ray (if you want). That will remove all ads and give access to a dark theme if you want it.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
This is still happening to me even after I sign in. I am becoming increasingly suspicious as to why this issue has not been resolved.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Dr Griffin said:
This is still happening to me even after I sign in. I am becoming increasingly suspicious as to why this issue has not been resolved.
Why are you suspicious? It's a broken ad unit we are trying to fix. Unfortunately, Kevin is really busy at work and hasn't had a lot of time to investigate yet. Nothing sinister.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Dave Upton said:
Why are you suspicious? It's a broken ad unit we are trying to fix. Unfortunately, Kevin is really busy at work and hasn't had a lot of time to investigate yet. Nothing sinister.
Suspicious was the wrong word. I should have said worried or concerned. I've had a couple worms get past Norton recently and was worried it may be something bad that you were having trouble fixing.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I can guarantee it's not a worm/virus, just a very annoying advert. We are working on it. Submitted another support ticket today. Sorry for the trouble - I know it's bothering everyone - I see the ad too :)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Well, the pop-up ads are now gone, but it's a little hard to follow the discussions now that--

EXCLUSIVE STORY: HOW TO LOSE 20 LBS. IN 2 WEEKS, WITHOUT DIET OR EXERCISE.

(backpages, clicks link again)

--now that they keep being distracted by a

WHY WE STILL CARE ABOUT ELLEN DEGENERES AFTER THE LAST OSCARS BROADCAST.

(backpages, clicks onto thread again).

Eh, skip it, I'll just go back to the home--

REAL ESTATE WITH LITTLE OR NO MONEY DOWN.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks