What's new

Unbroken (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Saw this last night at an AES preview. I thought it was quite well done. Good performances. Quite a tribute to the human spirit.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Looking forward to it. I'm a sucker for WWII films and this one looks great.

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
After reading the book, it's hard to see how they could effectively portray it all on one movie. I do know they omitted his conversion experience at a Billy Graham crusade, after battling alcoholism following the war, but I plan to watch it and possibly buy it when it becomes available.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Robert is it brutal to sit through in terms of what he goes through? Just in the trailers I kept thinking how rough it was (while I'm sure true)...sometimes those movies are hard to stomach.

Of course the trailer shows ALOT of brutality.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It is fairly brutal, Tim. I think the most unsettling scene shows the results of having almost nothing to eat for an extended period....

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks Robert.... I appreciate the feedback. I thought it was rated R but it's PG-13. Still want to see this as it looks like a story and journey that would affect me in a positive way. Thanks again!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Seeing it Monday in IMAX 3D......err. Scratch that. Regular digital projection. So used to saying that. ;) #1 on Christmas Day at the boxoffice with close to $16 million.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Hey Robert, I saw this on Christmas. Was good. Intense. I really agreed with James Berardinellis review though. This is well done, good acting and direction but I wanted more emotionally. All that he went through takes on a somewhat cold and distant tone. Not sure why. It's easy to get those movies that are heavy handed & we don't want that but with this movie I was surprised that I felt distant. Wanted to care more. I cared but was just very stoically portrayed.

Our xmas audience was packed and there was clapping during the credit sequences though.

I liked it. Wanted to love it.

7/10

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm going to see it this week coming up, but I have to get in the right frame of mind to see films such as this one when people are abusing other people. I knew of the story long before they started to film this movie.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Part of me felt like this was what Fight Club would feel like if Angelina Jolie directed it. :DWhile it's a solid tale of survival in spite of unbelivable odds, I tend to not like films as much when the protagonist doesn't really drive the plot all that much, and plot just shows the lead character suffering, and then more suffering, and then even more suffering until it's time to wrap up the movie. I get it, he suffered to ease the suffering of others in the last half of the film, but still, I could have just popped in "The Passion of the Christ" in some respects for that viewing experience, too.With all that said, Louie Zamperini is a true war-time hero, I just wished the story played out with a different angle, I guess. I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't know how Angelina Jolie took such a potent story and translated it into such a dull movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks