What's new

Speaker Humming Issue (2 Viewers)

[email protected]

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I'm looking for some help to resolve a recent problem with my speaker configuration. I don't have a lot of technical knowledge on this so any help is appreciated!

I have Denon receiver with Carver speakers. The center channel is powered and feeds two subwoofers, one located inside each of the tower surrounds. Everything has worked great for several years. Recently we had to turn off the breaker that feeds this room for some work. When the breaker was turned back on I get a loud humming (more of a roar) coming from each of the front surrounds. It appears to be coming from the surrounds and not from the subs. The roar occurs with the receiver turned off and the center channel power on. Turning off the center channel power silences the roar. Nothing else was added or changed on this circuit other than removing an attic fan and reinstalling it (it is on this same circuit). I've tried removing the speaker banana clips from the back of the receiver one at a time, as well as removing the sub connection both from the receiver and the back of the center channel but none of this stopped the the sound.

Any thoughts/help is appreciated!

[email protected]

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I'll try and check the outlet. The work was to repair an attic fan. The mount wasn't secure, so it was simply turning off the breaker, removing the black and white wires from the motor, remounting the motor, reconnecting the two wires and turning the breaker back on. Nothing was done in the physical location of the hts, it just happens to share the circuit with the attic fan.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When all else fails, unplug the power to everything, let them sit for a few minutes, then plug them back in one at a time.

It may not have anything to do with it, but the speaker configuration you describe (The center channel is powered and feeds two subwoofers, one located inside each of the tower surrounds.) doesn't make any sense to me.

[email protected]

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
They're Carvers. The amp/crossover for the subs is physically located in the center speaker box.

I'll try your suggestion of unplugging and see what happens. My Christmas tree is in the way of me physically getting to one of the front surrounds. I did remove the speaker wires from the one I can get to (the wires feeding the sub). The humming stops but the subs don't work then. I also tried running a new speaker wire there but still had the hum.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
As noted earlier, I'd try unplugging and then plugging in things one at a time. Sometimes it is a cable box, sometimes a dimmer, etc., and sometimes it is a pain to narrow down. I bought a monoblock for my center channel (a two channel amp drives the mains) not that long ago and had hum. I formerly had a 3-channel amp where the monoblock was but the turn on (of the amp) resulted in it tripping the circuit half the time (and all that is on that 15 amp circuit was the amp and it did not happen when I took an extension cord into a 20 amp circuit). So rather than mess with it, I sold the 3-channel amp and bought the monoblock. When I got the hum, rather than mess with it as well, I had one of these laying around - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002E4YI8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=321FECHQA1Z6W&coliid=I2I3VNO4OQRS43

and upon plugging the amp into it, the hum disappeared from the center channel. The main system is designed as a high end 2-channel system with a preamp with HT Bypass and a receiver (Onkyo 1008) in the mix so I did not want to start playing around with it (and really like the Wyred4Sound monoblock which is about 80 pounds lighter than my old 3-channel amp and sounds great).

[email protected]

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Well, to follow up on this mystery, I started today to unplug everything and replug as suggested. Before doing this I thought I would try one other thing. The receiver has a cord that runs to the center channel that then has two connections on that end, one controlling the left sub and the other the right. I simply switched those two connections and the hum has disappeared, at least for now. Hopefully this will do it. Thanks for the suggestions.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The system you describe baffles me more with each detail you provide. The wiring isn't like anything I've ever heard of.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I was also intrigued and wondered around the internet a bit. Couldn't find a picture of the back of the center speaker though.

This is from the Carver 5.2 home theater package from the late '90's. The front towers each have a subwoofer mounted in them. There is a single 300 watt amp mounted inside the center channel cabinet (???) that powers the subs in the front speakers. The center speaker is passive and apparently a hum can be caused by the sub amp being too close to the center speakers crossover. I found this old Reocities right-up about it.

http://www.reocities.com/dankesh/Carver/carverfix.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks