What's new

Paul Reiser emails Sony about the rest of Mad About You on DVD (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Glad I don't work for Sony right now. Hopefully the other studios got a wake up call and will increase security measures.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Sony hasn't released any catalog titles in years. While I admire Paul's persistence, the fact remains that Sony is essentially out of the DVD business with TV. Anyway, the show ran through a few times on FXX not very long ago. I recorded the last 2 seasons off there and they seemed to be uncut. They weren't great seasons anyway.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm not familiar with the show beyond recognizing the name and knowing that it was fairly popular a few years ago, but I would think that this one would have a lot of potential for a publisher like Shout Factory.

I would assume that if we see further releases and reissues of earlier seasons, it will likely be from a 3rd party.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It would seem to be desirable to have the complete show released for those who might want it. A few years ago, I would have been one of them, but I am much pickier about what I add to my collection these days. I do have the first season but never watched it beyond the first few episodes. That was back when I was buying anything and everything just to have it.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Let's hope that this gets the rest of the series released and a better quality season 3. The picture quality on season 3 was on the bad side. You could tell that Sony just slapped the episodes 'as is' on disc and left it at that. I would be wiling to double dip on this one to get a complete series set for the last two seasons and a restored/cleaned up season 3.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
And how about when season 5 was released by Shout Factory in 2010. It had the same incredibly choppy look that ruined All in the Family season 7, and Rhoda season 4.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Sony hasn't released any catalog titles in years. While I admire Paul's persistence, the fact remains that Sony is essentially out of the DVD business with TV
Right you are Neil, someone should let Mr. Reiser know that Sony is out of the Classic TV on DVD business, although they do own the show. Shout! Factory would be his best bet for the release of the final two seasons but I recall back when they released S4&5 that it was stated by one of their reps. (on here or on their website forums, I can't recall which one) that they were not happy with the sales of the 2 seasons they had released and would not be releasing any more seasons.

Now we have word that music issues are the reason the final seasons have not been released, not sure which story is true- poor sales or music costs?! Shout has recently revisited some stalled shows (Facts of Life, Mister Ed), so I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that they might revisit this series as well- providing there is enough interest from fans.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
I thought it was kind of interesting that Reiser, who had a development interest in the show, was completely unaware of the show's DVD release status.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Looks like those e-mails worked.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mad-The-Complete-Series/21766

I know it's Mill Creek, but I wish Sony and Fox would let more of their shows out of the vault to be finished in the same manner. With their prices, even re-buying half a series to get 2-4 unreleased seasons winds up costing about as much as a couple of studio released season would have.

Blurayfan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
How many seasons still hadn't been released? 5-7? I have the first 4 seasons on dvd.

Blurayfan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
The Obsolete Man said:
No, looks like Shout released S5 in 2010, so only 6 and 7 are unreleased.
Oh ok…I checked..I have season 5 as well….I will probably pick this up for seasons 6 and 7 plus the special features that will be offered…I know the price will be cheap too!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Did the show really suffer for the addition of a baby? Lots of people at the time seemed to believe so, or was that because The Internet always reacts that way to new babies?

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
WOW,

Mill Creek actually releasing some unreleased content AND including bonus features?! I think they should move in this direction and look at releasing other stalled shows like Benson, One Day at a Time and Who's the Boss? From what I have seen it does not appear as though their Sony releases are doing well, the only show they re-released in its entirety is Married... with Children and that is due to the inclusion of the theme song. All other multi season series they have released, they only released a few seasons then abandoned those and went straight to a complete series release which to me indicates that they seasons sets sold poorly.

A word of advice to Mad About You fans- contact Paul Reiser and let him know about Mill Creek and their low quality budget releases and tell him to try and persuade Mill Creek to up the quality for this release. Specifially they should ask that each season be released on 3 discs NOT 2 with the episodes spread out more evenly so the picture quality is not terrible like many of their other releases like The Cosby Show where they crammed in 12 or 13 episodes per disc.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Most adult, sophisticated, intelligent show do not sell well on DVD. This includes not only M.A.Y. but also Murphy Brown & Maude. So there's no surprise this show has taken so long to see a full release.

P.S. The addition of the baby really had little to no effect on the quality of the series. It was always scattershot & lighter-than-air considering the terrific talent involved. Any show that would waste Carol Burnett ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks