What's new

How come they don't make high capacity bluray changers anymore? (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Seems like a great idea to me. I guess downloading is the reason.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My guesses:
The enthusiasts who care enough to have a total movie system build their own HTPC.

Those who have that same enthusiasm but lack the technical know-how buy this: http://www.kaleidescape.com

Everyone else is fine with a single-disc player and streaming.

The middle-ground, who want a mega-changer(s) but won't spend for a Kaleidascape, are presumably far too small a market to support Sony or Pioneer mass-market products.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
"Anymore?"

You mean, there were some before?

All I know is, I had a 5-disc carrousel DVD changer player back about 10 years ago - and I hated it. My wife made me get one, thinking, "oh, we'll load it up and watch a bunch of discs in a row". But, it turns out that we never watch movies, or even TV shows in season sets, like that.

We watch them one at a time, and at odd times and various intervals, and whatever particular movie hits us at that moment. We don't "plan" what to watch. We were always loading only one disc at a time, and when taking it out several days later, it would stay in the player while the tray opened up waiting for us to put in a second disc, aggravating the heck out of us as that wasn't what we wanted to have happen at that moment. Getting the thing to give up the disc in the drive at that moment was like pulling teeth. We'd have to remember to hit stop several times after turning the player on - then say a silent prayer - hoping that the disc would actually be in the tray upon hitting the eject/open button.

And that's only if we even remembered that a disc was still in it.

My wife soon learned to hate the thing as much as I, and she had to admit that I was right in that instance.

It lasted maybe 6 months before it was replaced with a single disc player.

But, I know some love them. They are better planners than I am. :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've always enjoyed my disc changers. I'm real old school. Fall into all of Daves categories. I have a bunch of discs and need someplace to put them.

I like the 5 disc players mostly for concert dvds. I leave two or three in the player and listen to them over and over until I tire of them, then swap the out for a few more. I still use my two Pioneer 301 disc cd changers and an Integra 301 disc dvd player (made by Pioneer).

Maybe someday I'll bust into the millenium! But not today.

Sony made a 400 disc BluRay a while back. Too lazy to see if they still do.

whale2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Al
gene c said:
I've always enjoyed my disc changers. I'm real old school. Fall into all of Daves categories. I have a bunch of discs and need someplace to put them. I like the 5 disc players mostly for concert dvds. I leave two or three in the player and listen to them over and over until I tire of them, then swap the out for a few more. I still use my two Pioneer 301 disc cd changers and an Integra 301 disc dvd player (made by Pioneer). Maybe someday I'll bust into the millenium! But not today. Sony made a 400 disc BluRay a while back. Too lazy to see if they still do.
I have a Sony 400 disk DVD player. I loved having all my disks in one place. A few years ago I tried to upgrade to a Blu Ray jukebox. Sony discontinued those several years ago. I thought they were great. My collection was in a safe place. Who knows why production was halted. Streaming seems like the culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks