What's new

Recently Cut the Cable (1 Viewer)

cpack1977

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Kelsey
I recently cut the cable and now I can't get the sound to come through my home theater speakers. I have a Vizio HP50 on the wall in another room, and a Pioneer receiver, Samsung Blu-ray, CD player, and turntable on a rack in a back room.
TV is still connected by HDMI to receiver and use DTV imput to view tv from antenna, imput HDMI 1 for blue ray, HDMI 2 imput for Roku 3. Also using a Logitech Harmony One UR to run all devices except Roku, which is hard wired to TV.

I have recently purchased a BlueRigger Digital Optical 25' cable and a 25' RCA A/V cable. Haven't ran these through the wall as I wanted to make sure everything was working before fishing the cable. Not sure I need them.

Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

cpack1977

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Kelsey
It's an expression, meaning I got rid of sat/cable tv. In this case I dropped DirectTv.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
This isn't making sense to me yet. You aren't getting sound from any source? What connections did you change when you dropped the cable?

cpack1977

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Kelsey
I'm getting sound through the receiver for blu-ray, tuner, vcr, turntable. The only I'm not getting sound through is my tv.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
cpack1977 said:
I'm getting sound through the receiver for blu-ray, tuner, vcr, turntable. The only I'm not getting sound through is my tv.
You no longer have a cable/sat provider so aren't all the rest of the devices running through the AVR? Do you mean to say that your TV speakers are no longer working with your various other sources? Are you referring to the antenna signals for the local channels not being passed to the AVR? I'm still not clear what the issue is.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
If the antenna is connected directly to the TV, then you have two possible option, (1) if your TV *and* receiver handle ARC through HDMI, then you probably haven't turn it on in both devices, or (2) connect the TV audio to the receiver (what Sam said), use an optical or coax depending on what each of the TV and receiver supports (avoid using a red/while stereo connection).

If the antenna goes to a digital box first, then connect the box to the receiver instead of the TV.

cpack1977

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Kelsey
Al.Anderson said:
If the antenna is connected directly to the TV, then you have two possible option, (1) if your TV *and* receiver handle ARC through HDMI, then you probably haven't turn it on in both devices, or (2) connect the TV audio to the receiver (what Sam said), use an optical or coax depending on what each of the TV and receiver supports (avoid using a red/while stereo connection).

If the antenna goes to a digital box first, then connect the box to the receiver instead of the TV.
I have tried running a optical cable between TV and receiver and still am not receiving sound through the receiver.

When I watch local channels the sound comes through the TV speakers fine, my antenna is a 35 mile indoor HDTV antenna, which is connected to the TV and viewed through the DTV input on the TV. I have a Pioneer VSX-1021-K receiver and I'm not sure if the ARC is turned on or not. Wouldn't know how to check that without some guidance.

cpack1977

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Kelsey
ArmSC said:
You no longer have a cable/sat provider so aren't all the rest of the devices running through the AVR? Do you mean to say that your TV speakers are no longer working with your various other sources? Are you referring to the antenna signals for the local channels not being passed to the AVR? I'm still not clear what the issue is.
TV speakers work fine. Yes, I'm referring to the antenna signals for the local channels not being passed to the AVR, that's my issue.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I can't find a manual for the HP50. (And boy does the Vizio site suck.) If it's more than a few years old it probably won't have ARC.

What model is your Pioneer receiver. Also, plug the optical cable into just the TV - can you see a light at the other end?

cpack1977

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Kelsey
The Vizio is about 7 years old. My receiver is a pioneer VSX-1021-K. When I plug the optical cable into the TV I get no light.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
When I plug the optical cable into the TV I get no light.
I forgot to add to have the TV on DTV when you do this. If you did, it may well be that the optical connection is faulty.

You could try an external tuner and connect directly to the receiver. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW180STB-HomeWorx-Converter-Function/dp/B00G5RXM16/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417770623&sr=8-2&keywords=atsc+tuner (The user reviews list a number of problems, but it appears to work as a tuner.)

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
cpack1977 said:
TV speakers work fine. Yes, I'm referring to the antenna signals for the local channels not being passed to the AVR, that's my issue.
Now I'm with ya. I think that Al is on the right path with this one. Optical output seems like it's not working.

cpack1977

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Kelsey
I'm a bit confused on the use of a converter box. How will this get the sound through my AVR? Do you connect the indoor antenna to it or leave it connected to the TV?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm a bit confused on the use of a converter box. How will this get the sound through my AVR? Do you connect the indoor antenna to it or leave it connected to the TV?
The converter box is only if the TV's optical is broken. If it is broken, then we need a new path for the antenna signal (it's stck in the TV). So yes, you'd connect the antenna to the converter instead of the TV, then all signals will go to the receiver first, then the video will go from from the receiver to the TV over the HDMI (while the receiver processes the audio).

cpack1977

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Kelsey
The digital optical is working. I got the sound coming through the receiver now. Just have to run the cable through the wall. Now I need to figure out how to get my Roku to run through the receiver. I have it in the HDMI 2 input in the TV. Shouldn't I be able to hook my Roku right into my receiver?I appreciate all of your help.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Yes, the Roku can be plugged into any of the free HDMI ports, or one of the component and an optical/coax (depending on which Roku you have).

cpack1977

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim Kelsey
Yes, I got that working. Now I just have to reprogram my harmony one remote.Thanks so much for all of your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks