What's new

3D Blu-ray player with Multichannel not Oppo (1 Viewer)

Roscojim

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
I'm looking for a 3D BD player that will play SZCDs through multichannel. My receiver does not have HDMI, but has multichannel inputs. My current Oppo player does not play 3D, so I need to replace it, and don't really want to pay another $499.

I see that Sony players can play SACD, but only through HDMI. I could replace my receiver, but do I really need to do that?

Thanks for any information you can give me. Most of the stuff I found was from years ago, so sorry if this is a repeat. This is a great forum!!

Jim

Roscojim

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
The cheap players don't have the analog multichannel out puts that I need. I guess I didn't make that clear in my original post. My receiver does not have HDMI, so I can only listen to SACD through the six-cable analog multichannel connection. Oppo has that, but I was looking for something cheaper and current.Maybe such a thing does not exist?Jim

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I believe Cambridge Audio Blu Ray players will meet your needs: they have the multichannel outs and have excellent DAC's and superior video. I own the 751 and use the multichannel outs for my 119" Home Theater system.

Roscojim

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
The Cambridge is over twice the price of the Oppo. I'm looking for cheaper, not more expensive. It looks like I will have to go with the Oppo or replace my receiver and then buy a cheaper player. The price difference is a wash.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The problem is, multi-channel existed on a bunch of players back when HDMI pass-through existed in AVR.But...those won't be 3D. The Sony 7 series, whichever the first year were 3D(770?), will have MCH. If you want used.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok, 770 was wrong. It lost MCH.Samsung BD-C6500. See if you can find one of those.There are a few 6500 and more 6900 on Fleabay. One listing for a 6900 shows the remote. Opening bid of $85 with (to me) $19 shipping.

Roscojim

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Thanks, but I also need 3D playback. I was able to find one of those on e-bay though

Roscojim

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Thanks for the help everyone, but let me reiterate what I am looking for. The Oppo has what I want, but I'm looking for something cheaper. I'm not real techie when it comes to specs, but I can connect up a home theater system. Here's what I want --3D playbackSACD supportAnalog multichannel output (6 cables connect from the player to my receiver)I currently have an Oppo, but it does not play 3D DVDs. My receiver does not have HDMI inputs, so anything like the Sony that only plays SACD through HDMI will not work for me. I'm looking for something cheaper than $499. I'm thinking that such a thing does not exist.Jim

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jim:

If you can't find what you are seeking, I'd suggest to consider a receiver upgrade rather than an expensive player with 3-D, SACD & 7.1 analog outs.

Buy upgrading the receiver (which could be done for about the same price as the Oppo 103 (depending upon your budget) you then make the significant move into the world of HDMI...meaning you then will have much greater flexibility in terms of future upgrades.

I used to run my Pio SACD/DVD-A player through analog outputs into my receiver--like Sam suggests--as a separate player from my Blu/DVD-Video player. But it was a PITA whenever I wanted to play high-rez audio to switchover the inputs on my receiver and such (even with a Harmony remote).

After a receiver upgrade (with HDMI) I was able to latch onto a relatively cheap Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD which does the high-rez audio formats over HDMI and gives me "one stop shopping" for any disc I might want to play.

Roscojim

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
I think a receiver upgrade is my best option. That way, I have HDMI inputs and I can cut half of my cable clutter by getting rid of the analog and component cables.Thanks to all for your advice!!Jim

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Roscojim said:
Thanks for the help everyone, but let me reiterate what I am looking for. The Oppo has what I want, but I'm looking for something cheaper. I'm not real techie when it comes to specs, but I can connect up a home theater system. Here's what I want --3D playbackSACD supportAnalog multichannel output (6 cables connect from the player to my receiver)I currently have an Oppo, but it does not play 3D DVDs. My receiver does not have HDMI inputs, so anything like the Sony that only plays SACD through HDMI will not work for me. I'm looking for something cheaper than $499. I'm thinking that such a thing does not exist.Jim
Multi-ch analog inputs/outputs are quickly disappearing from receivers and players. But thankfully there are still a few decent universal BR players being made today, even if most are hdmi only, and a few good bargains on the used market. I recently picked up a couple of 2-3 year old Yamaha 1020 universal BR players off ebay. They were way over-priced when new ($499) as is the current 1040, but for $110 each I had to give them a whirl. 3D, DVD-A, SACD with DSD, m/c analog outputs, Network and USB. Not quite the build quality of an OPPO but pretty impressed so far for the $110. While I prefer analog for stereo music, hdmi is hard to beat for dvd-a/sacd and m/c concert videos unless you buy a $1000+ player.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The impetus for me finally giving up the MCH ghost...was the Onkyo 707.Didn't even think to look for one when I bought it...as all prior 70X Onkyo had one...Then came along a trio of HDMI universals. Starting with the Oppo 970(it cheats on SACD).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks