What's new

Hello from Yokohama, Japan! (1 Viewer)

MrSatoV

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
Hi everyone! I'm originally from New Orleans, and more recently from Los Angeles, and now living in Yokohama, Japan (as of March 2014). I don't speak Japanese yet... but working on it.

So, I've had a home theater for many years now, but mostly what many of you might consider to be a poor man's version. That is to say, I use every day Joe level equipment and make it work. I have worked up to what I consider to be a decent system, although will be looking to upgrade everything but the speakers in 2015. I'm a computer/telecoms guy, so I got my start with this by borrowing my company's presentation projector on weekends sometimes to watch movies from my PC - from DVD, via Netflix. At some point I decided to fork out the dough for a better projector, although still make for presentations more than a home theater. That's what I currently still have. It's an NEC LT260 DLP projector, if I remember right. It's bright (up to 2100 lumens), and has a native resolution of 1280 x 1024, with the ability to project at the 16:9 resolution of 1280 x 720 pretty nicely. We're still relatively happy with it. Problem is, pretty much everything is HDMI these days, and the projector lacks this. But hey, my AV receiver doesn't have it either. We have a 6.1 AV Reciever and a JBL 7.1 speaker system that we quite like... even though we're only using it as a 5.1 system.

Probably in 2015 some time we'll upgrade to an amp with a built-in HDMI switch, as well as the projector to one that supports HDMI and a native resolution of at least 1080p, and maybe that does 3D. If we win the lottery we'll get 4k. LOL Those suckers are priiiiicey!

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Welcome to HTF! It sounds great living in Japan, my wife and I both are pretty hooked on the culture (music, anime) and plan to visit there in the next year or two. When the time does come to upgrade, you're lucky. These days you can get the BenQ HT1075 for $850US - and that's a stunning 1080p DLP projector for under a grand. Enjoy your time here.
Dave

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm reviewing the 1075 right now and I have to agree with Dave it's a LOT of projector for very low $$$. Stand by for that review soon, but I definitely think it's right in there for the best bang for your home theater buck right now. Even the outgoing 1070 is pretty great, the 1075 adds wireless capabilities and a bit more brightness, but bet you can snag a 1070 really cheaply right now.

Welcome to HTF!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks