What's new

Having Connectivity Problem w/Sub and Receiver (1 Viewer)

RedDragonTDI

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Hey Everyone,

I'm asking for some trouble shooting on what I think is a connectivity problem between my Pioneer VSX-523 receiver and my Polk Audio PSW505 12" Subwoofer. When I bought the SW I first used a yellow RCA cable and the SW worked fine but I could tell it wasn't at its full potential. So I ordered a RG6 cable from Monoprice, no response. I went through the entire MCACC setup on the receiver, nothing. Then I tried to manually add the SW, still nothing. I even went back to the RCA cable i first used, same result. The only audio that comes out of the SW is a low frequency buzz.

If there is any other info that I didn't provide please ask and i'll try to accommodate it best I can.

Thanks for the help, Adam

RedDragonTDI

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Right but just the quality is different and how it's wrapped and insulated is the only difference?

Playing Netflixs from my PS3 and using LFE(unfiltered).

On my Dad's set up at his house, he has a splitter that makes the cable coming from SW Out on the receiver go into both LFE and LINE IN.

Also I did just build a new entertainment center last night so everything was taken apart completely. I'll connect the SW again tonight as if it was from scratch to see the results.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
RG59/6, when used as Digital Coax, composite(and component, just in triplicate) and shielded subwoofer...Are exactly...the very same cable construction.You can even use coax intended for TV(OTA, cable and satellite) for the use of audio/video. But signal grade(TV) is, typically, overkill when used for audio/video.Matter of fact. I bought a crap ton of component cables when HDMI made it "obsolete". (Bought forty 1/2 meter component cables for $20) I use them for analog MCH from universal DVD players to AVR. Peel them apart for a digital coax.One of my subwoofer cables is a 15ft long composite cable I bought clearance at Target for $1.00.(One of the "cabling" websites{BlueJeans? MonoPrice?} has eliminated "categories" for coax. When searching for any one of the variations...you get the same page)(The biggest idiotic move I've ever seen on a sale site...they were clearancing out their 10, 15 and 25 foot component cables for $2, $3 and $5 each. They were gone in 24 hours. Lots of the installers I use picked up $200-$400 of them)

RedDragonTDI

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
RedDragonTDI said:
Playing Netflixs from my PS3 and using LFE(unfiltered).

On my Dad's set up at his house, he has a splitter that makes the cable coming from SW Out on the receiver go into both LFE and LINE IN.

Also I did just build a new entertainment center last night so everything was taken apart completely. I'll connect the SW again tonight as if it was from scratch to see the results.
Ok, so the cable most likely isnt the problem then.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Regarding the splitter your dad has.Waste of a splitter and a coax. If bought with the system, sales guy probably said he needed them(if Best Buy...clerk stupidity. If boutique shop, sold them to buy his lunch)Since it is already there, leave it. If he gets a 2nd sub...he doesn't need anything.

RedDragonTDI

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Well I made a stupid human error, I had the subwoofer cable plugged into the video out. They are bother fairly close and have the same white dot markings, but I just didn't take the time to read.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I appreciate the fact that you came back and let us know.

We've all done it. No worries.

I was just furious at myself last night for being 100% sure my laptop was on its last legs because it's battery was dying. I had checked all the AC connections, etc. and figured something had gone south (I've already had the AC jack on the laptop itself fixed once). Turned out I hadn't checked all the connections and the actual plug on the AC cord had worked itself out from the power strip into which it was plugged.
doh2.gif

Enjoy that bass! :biggrin:

RedDragonTDI

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Mike Frezon said:
I appreciate the fact that you came back and let us know.

We've all done it. No worries.

I was just furious at myself last night for being 100% sure my laptop was on its last legs because it's battery was dying. I had checked all the AC connections, etc. and figured something had gone south (I've already had the AC jack on the laptop itself fixed once). Turned out I hadn't checked all the connections and the actual plug on the AC cord had worked itself out from the power strip into which it was plugged.
doh2.gif

Enjoy that bass! :biggrin:
Of course it like anything else, finish the job or thread.

Slightly unplugged power cords are the worst enemy because no one expects them.

Oh and did last night, The Walking Dead is much better.

Thanks, Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks