What's new

How do you orient di-pole JBL HT1D surround back speaker? (1 Viewer)

pwangdel

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Greetings:I have two pairs of di-pole THX certified JBL HT1D surround speakers. The speaker has medium and tweeter on both side (front and back) but rotate by 180 degree. But one side has a port the other hasn't. JBL owner manual instructs to install the surround speakers such that the port is aiming toward the TV. The medium and twitter driver on the left is upside down i.e. medium on top, twitter on bottom. The medium and tweeter on the right is normal i.e. medium on bottom, tweeter on top. The speaker drivers on opposite site are rotated 180 degree. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't describe how to orient the surround back. Should they be oriented same as surround speakers? I contact JBL tech support to no avail. Based on some online resource, the surround back speakers should be oriented sideway i.e. the driver is aiming at the side wall. However, I don't know if the port side or not should be aiming at the side wall. Any idea how to orient these surround back speakers? Any recommendation and help is greatly appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Di-pole on side walls point to the TV.On the back wall, point at each other.So if "facing the screen"...The speaker orientation on your left, is the orientation behind to the right.If those aren't clear enough...+ zones are towards the display and the back wall.- zones are the back corners of the room.

pwangdel

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Thank you so much for the recommendation. Does it matter how the surround back face each other's i.e. should the port side face each other or face the wall and should the medium driver on both speaker is on the bottom?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It wasn't a "recommendation". It is how they are arranged, period.JBL already said "port faces the TV". That means port side is positive.Repeating...Positive zones are the back wall and side walls.Negative zones are the back two corners.Or...even longer explanation...Facing the display...1. Speaker on left, port faces the TV. Meaning that is the positive zone...display to that speaker.2. Behind it then must be negative. Next speaker, on your back wall, is oriented port inside so...negative meets negative.3. Next zone created is positive. So speaker three is oriented that its positive faces the prior speakers positive.4. Another negative zone created. This speaker, by now opposite of 1, has its negative facing speaker 3.5. Last positive zone mimics, exactly, the positive towards the display.

pwangdel

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Once again thank you for your time and detail explanation.
Please forgive my stupidity, I am still unsure about the back speaker layout. I draft in Word my speakers layout (see attached). Could you please review and let me know if I capture your explanation correctly?

SPEAKERS LAYOUT.jpg

View attachment SPEAKERS LAYOUT.docx

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Now that I realize you were giving a Face View of the speakers, instead of a side/layout view...The right and left speakers are correct.The back two...are backwards. Ports FACE each other.(Going left as 1 counter clockwise to 4 being right. 1 and 3 match. 2 and 4 match. Right now, you have 1 and 2 matching. And 3 and 4 matching)

pwangdel

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
I think that I finally understand your explanation. I revise the draft to match your explanation.

Thanks for all the help and have a great holidays season.

Attachments

• SPEAKERS LAYOUT.jpg
    SPEAKERS LAYOUT.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 118

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks