What's new

Need expert's advice for choosing AVR or Separates (1 Viewer)

leimahmood

Auditioning
Real Name
mahmood kasi
HELLO EVER Y ONE
NAD T175 AND PARA SOUND 1205A USED 990$
ONKYO NR TX 929 NEW 1000$
FOR WHICH ONE I GO
THANKS IN ADVANCE

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Choose the AVR that has the features that you need.

If you need analog multichannel inputs or want/need a full set of preouts, then the Marantz is the one you should choose.

If you need to utilize networking features, then the Onkyo is your better choice.

Without context (knowing what you want to do with your AVR), we can't suggest one model over another - we'd simply be throwing darts while blindfolded in a dark room that has no dart board.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
leimahmood said:
sound wise
i neeed the sound quality ???
Really, "sound quality" is dictated by your speakers, not the receiver. A receiver should be chosen based on which AVR-specific features and capabilities you need.

Do you need networking?
Do you need preouts?
Do you need video upconversion?
Do you need additional zones?
What and how many connection(s) do you need for your current devices?
3D?
4K?
Atmos?
4 ohm stable?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
With those speakers, unless you need concert level SPL in a cavernous room, there's no need, IMO, for separates. Those will hum along fine with just about any receiver behind them - that's what 96dB efficiency gets you.

Once again, I will say that without knowing what your actual AVR feature needs are (see the list above), all we are doing in choosing one over the other is expressing to your our various brand loyalties. For instance, I've owned several Onkyos over the years and have never had a single problem... but that fact doesn't help YOU decide if the 929 is what you need or if you'll be fine with the 626... or any other Onkyo model out there.

If price/budget is not a concern (we don't know your budget - but it's somewhere between $350 and $1,000), then simply choose the model that meets your needs and has the features you want.

leimahmood

Auditioning
Real Name
mahmood kasi
thanks
Jason Charlton
budget is good but i m wondering how good is nad t175 with parasound 1205a against onkyo 929 in sound quality wise in good speakers like klispch rf7 mark 11 home theatr set

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I am one that doesn't believe a receiver has much of a noticeable effect on "sound quality". Certainly, most people can make a much bigger improvement in their sound quality by getting decent speakers than they can by replacing the receiver.

That being said, you have very nice speakers. As a side benefit, your speakers are extremely efficient, which means they don't need much power at all to get really loud. In fact, 20 watts of real-world power will probably make your ears bleed - which I why I believe going with separates would be a waste of money if your room is anything but extremely large.

I also think most people "overbuy" on the receiver end - largely because they mistakenly believe that there's a big difference between 110 watts per channel and 135 watts per channel. There isn't.

For most of us, if we are faced with two receiver options - one at $350 and one at $1000, we'd want to make sure that spending the extra $700 provided us with something of value. That's where understanding what the feature differences between the models are.

A receiver should be chosen based on the features that you need.

You mentioned the Onkyo 626 and the 929 - but there are two models in between (the 727 and 828) that may suit your needs and save you money. If you don't want to have to think about what you need, and you're OK with just paying for features that you'll never even know you have, then go with the 929 - it has everything but the kitchen sink.

But if you don't need 11.2 preouts, then you can step down to the 828. If you don't need preouts of any kind, then you can step down to the 727. If you don't need a zone 3 line out, then you can make do with the 626 and save yourself $700.

To summarize:
1) My answer to the question of "Which has better 'sound quality'?" is "None - your speakers will sound pretty much the same no matter which option you choose".

2) Since you have extremely efficient speakers, you don't need a lot of power - so the "benefit" of going with separates is, IMO, not worth the money spent.

3) Choosing between receiver models comes down to "What features do I have to have that XXX model provides and YYY doesn't?"

Once you have a list of features that you need, then it's MUCH EASIER to find a receiver that fits the bill because you can go to all the manufacturer's websites (Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, etc.) and find many other options at various price points.

Let me ask you another question - what are your speakers connected to now (brand and model #) and why do you want to replace that?

leimahmood

Auditioning
Real Name
mahmood kasi
actually its a good deal thay y i pic thees speakers and i have no avr at the movement
the above mention avrs are avilable near to my place so that y i m talking about these one
my necessary needs are
1::::movies dts master audio and dd hd (htpc)
2;;;; ps4 gaming surround sound
i need good quality sound that y i m confused between 929 and 626 if both sounded same then i dont need 929 bcz my room is not too large.

leimahmood

Auditioning
Real Name
mahmood kasi
got the onkyo 626
but in xbox360 and ps3 its work only when 720p is selected on disply not working fine on 1080p i think the set is faulty

Jason Charlton

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Jason Carlton makes alot of good points and I agree with most of what he says. But there are more considerations to consider when looking at todays a/v receivers. Back in the 80's low end receivers had few inputs and the more expensive models had better amplifier sections, pre amp sections and more inputs. Over the years IMHO manufactures started offering more and more features and inputs on the lower end models and more features to try and increase sales. How ever the low end still had cheaper quality amplifiers vs the higher end models. Does this mean that your average listener will be able to hear the difference? yes and maybe not at all! Sound is very subjective while many people couldn't tell the difference at all some might and feel it is worth the extra money. But it doesn't stop there because when you are talking about sub flagship model to flagship in many cases you are talking about higher quality parts, better designs, more amplifier headroom, better dac's (digital to analog converters), better laid out on screen menus, more component video inputs and out puts, more digital inputs and more channels. Many low end models do not have pre outs and a number of the higher end will offer ballance pro xlr outs and maybe even a balanced xlr cd in. And with the upcoming 4k bluray format arriving around Dec 2015 and all those 4K UHD TV's available and with copyright protection changing for 4K bluray.

Your speakers are the most important part of your system and can make the biggest difference with the sound of your system. But I suggest you take a piece of paper and write down all your sources, what do you use your system for, what features and capabilities are you lacking now and do you want the capability now or in the near future. For an example my current Pioneer SC-05 will not pass 3D video and is not 4K compliant so I am planning on upgrading and since 1080p blurays are starting to come out with Dolby Atmos encoding and because this may be most likely available on 4K bluray discs this is another feature I want. Look at what you have now and look at upcoming formats and features that are coming soon and plan for what you need and leave some room for exspansion. Nothing is worse than thinking that you have x amount of hdmi devices and then picking a model that has exactly what you need and you end up passing up the model above because there is a decent jump in price. Then a few years later you want to add something but there is no more free hdmi, so do you swap out hdmi cables to the receiver and or pre pro when ever you want to use that one unit or do you bit it and buy yet another receiver or pre pro way before you need to?

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]I agree that you are not going to hear much of a difference between 110 and 135 watts! You can say that above aprox 70 - 85 watts it takes alot more power to make it that much louder. And if your speakers are efficient it does't take alot of power to actually make it loud. Believe it or not but the area of the most [/SIZE]noticeable[SIZE=14.3999996185303px] difference in power output is between 1/10 of a watt and 1 watt with efficient speakers is a good volume level. And like Jason said even 20 watts can do alot. You also need to look at the size of your room and think about how loud you like to listen to music and or movies. While you may not really need 135 watts continuous per channel it is not bad to have a little reserve to deal with peaks in a recording you are playing back. Having a little head room in your amplifier is not a bad thing and will help avoid running the amplifiers into cliping in which it is easier to damage speakers vs slightly over driving them with more power. [/SIZE]Distortion[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]/clipping can fry and or damage your speakers much faster than slightly over powering them. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]1. As long as you have enough power to run your speakers and as long as your speakers are efficient and you like the sound the produce the only reason to upgrade your receiver would be needing HDMI inputs, lossless audio decoding like Dolby True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio and even Dolby Atoms.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]2. Do you have 1080p switching? Do you have 3D passthru capability and will you want 4K capability?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]3. What features do you want now and for the future, better to get it now than to have to shell out the money just for one or two features that you could have had already.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]4. Audio zones? Do you plan to listen to audio in another zone weather it be at the same time a movie is playing in the main room or not. Plan for that as well.[/SIZE]

Personally I would focus on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha and Integra. Not sure if the Pioneer Elites failure rate has improved and Onkyo just has horrible customer service. And while some will tell you that pre pro/amplifies give you the best performance and in many cases with audio performance and raw amplifier power it is the best bet IMHO. But today's receivers are usually ahead of the curve in features and technology and if you get a high enough model you can use it as a pre pro and reassign internal amplification in the receiver for other zones forgoing having to buy more external amplification. If at all possible go to a reputable brick and mortar store and listen to the reciever, ask questions, bring your top favorite movies and cd's with you if they allow it and even if it is alittle more than buying online big deal. The thing is that when you find a store that is reputable and has the brands you are interested in you can build a relationship with the sales person and even the owner! Not only is it possible to find out more about a certain product as they are more likely to be honest with you vs someone that is most likely never going to come back anyway even though they answered there questions and provided good service. I also find that you are more likely to have situation where they sometimes give you a discounted price because you do business with them and it is a plus if god forbid you need to bring it in for service. Think pre sales research, features and quality of what you are look for then post sales what if something goes wrong and you need it fixed. If you buy it online sure you might save a few bucks but where will you take it to be fixed and are the an authorized dealer? Some companies only warranty product when purchased through authorized dealers! So I hope I did not go overboard for you and I hope that my information along with Jason's and others in this forum help you find what you are looking for.
View attachment 14497
View attachment 14427
View attachment 8348

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have the UN55F9000, Next February I will have mine 1 year and I love it! Do you know if that model has a 10 bit display panel and uses hdcp 2.2 ?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dave Moritz said:
I have the UN55F9000, Next February I will have mine 1 year and I love it! Do you know if that model has a 10 bit display panel and uses hdcp 2.2 ?
Nothing, at all, this year is 18g HDMI and HDCP 2.2.Anything HDCP 2.2 is "essentially" HDMI 1.4. (The only 2.0 enhancement is "improved" CEC)If it is HDMI 2.0(really should be called "HDMI 18g", so people can just quit asking) it won't have HDCP 2.2.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
But it doesn't seem that everything that is HDMI 1.4 is HDCP 2.2 because Denon and Marantz to my knowledge are HDMI 1.4 but are not using HDCP 2.2 like the current Onkyo and Interga recievers are.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks