What's new

Blade Runner sequel (1 Viewer)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Well good luck Sir, Ridley Scott on this. :) I never thought of it being a sequel type of film. BLADE RUNNER become cult sci-fi classic though VHS.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
This sounds good and the best thing seems to be keeping Ridley out of the director's chair after what he did with Prometheus. Villeneuve sounds like a very cool choice and I really liked his work on Enemy and Prisoners and I am looking forward to his next film which has a great cast. The other guy I would have liked to direct this is Duncan Jones who would be perfect for a Blade Runner sequel.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The critical consensus is that Ridley Scott did a fine job with Prometheus garnering a 73% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes with most critics praising Scott's direction. I happen to agree with that analysis and think in this genre of filmmaking he would do a fine job, unlike the critical and financial disaster that was Exodus Gods and Kings.

I am mildly interested in a sequel to Bladerunner. I saw it on opening day in the theater and despite being visually spectacular, was pretty much bored. Even though it has grown on me over the years, I still feel that way today. Although I can appreciate the fact that many love this, in my opinion, vastly overrated film and want a sequel.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, to fully put my cards on the table, Tino, I don't think there should be a sequel to Blade Runner as I think the first film is a perfect stand alone work. To me the idea of making a sequel is just a way to cash in on the first film but I do find how they are approaching this at least promising and I hope if nothing else it is a good film that draws more attention to the original film. Unlike Alien, Blade Runner has not been beaten to death by bad sequels, prequels, and spin-offs.

I'd much rather see Villeneuve take a stab at this though than Ridley because Ridley over the last decade has been pretty...well...inconsistent. Villeneuve seems in the same spot Ridley was in on his "way up" when he tackled Blade Runner. He has made some films that were praised by both critics and audiences and he is a stylish director that tells stories in both a visually and emotionally exciting way. Where Ridley has gone more generic I guess I would say. I just feel like Villeneuve would be more engaged with the work and telling a good tale and Ridley might do what he has done on Prometheus and Exodus and basically present something visually pleasing but on the whole pretty empty when it comes to handling the story and characters.

Honestly, Ridley has seemed, and this is just my opinion, bored with many of his recent films and he seemed to treat Prometheus and Exodus as chores he needed to complete. I won't argue with you on Exodus or how you feel about it because I think it has been quite fair to criticize Mr. Scott's recent work. He has been off his game and as somebody that really likes him and will watch everything he makes I say that with a great deal of regret. In both Exodus and Prometheus the characters felt empty and disconnected. Combine this with how the stories were told and they both just seem like a beautifully decorated tin that is supposed to hold delicious cookies but when you pull the lid off it is empty.

My favorite recent work from Ridley (and critics and audiences seemed not to care for it) was The Counselor because it at least had interesting characters and told a twisted tale that engaged me. In terms of the direction though it seemed Ridley kind of just got out of the way and let McCarthy's story do what it was going to do. It seemed one of his most workman like efforts but because of the talent of the actors and writer the whole thing came together for me. I'd rate The Counselor as one of his really good films but I don't think many would agree with me on that.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Interesting. . .Prisoners was excellent, but Enemy was terrible. (My note to the filmmaker: If more than half the running time of your movie consists of lingering shots of one of the central characters brooding silently, you haven't made an art film. You've made a mistake.)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Reggie W said:
Honestly, Ridley has seemed, and this is just my opinion, bored with many of his recent films..

I think you've hit on something there. While I am a fan of Prometheus (the visuals, the intensity, the atmosphere,) I think Ridley hasn't quite been inspired to his core on some of the projects he's undertaken. I don't know if his brother's sad passing had any effect on his last two pictures, but I don't get that same creative, artistic sense from him (again, other than Prometheus (from before his brother's death), which I think demonstrated his passions, though he was let down in the script somewhat - still, it's a much, much better film than people give it credit for being.)

I am very curious about the sequel to Blade Runner - and excited. I think it's one of the greatest films ever made (and that's saying something,) and cannot fathom anyone not recognizing its mastery. (Tino, seek help. We'll wait ;) )

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Ever since I saw "The Duellists" I have been fan of Ridley Scott's work. Really enjoy most of his movies but love the first three trifecta with "Blade Runner" being my personal favorite movie of all time ( although I do "waver" at time with Leone's "The Good, the Bad And the Ugly" or "Once Upon A Time In The West"). In my eyes it's perfect as it thrills and scares me to my "soul" as well being an absolute visual treat.

I'm sorry but I too, am, among the "don't mess with perfection" crowd. Great questions about the nature of man, where we as species are heading, playing god but not wanting the responsibility etc.. are raised and left to the individual to make his/her own personal decisions/imagination. This is one movie which should never have a sequel.Let's leave it at that.

Regards,

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm a huge fan of Ridley Scott's older work as well (and, frankly, when I look at his filmography, more of his recent work is solid than we tend to think). Semi-related question: I haven't seen Prometheus yet, and I haven't seen any of the Alien films in MANY years (in fact, I don't think I've ever even seen #4). Should I re-watch any of them before checking out Prometheus?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Aaron Silverman said:
I'm a huge fan of Ridley Scott's older work as well (and, frankly, when I look at his filmography, more of his recent work is solid than we tend to think). Semi-related question: I haven't seen Prometheus yet, and I haven't seen any of the Alien films in MANY years (in fact, I don't think I've ever even seen #4). Should I re-watch any of them before checking out Prometheus?

I'd say at least Alien.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Aaron Silverman said:
Semi-related question: I haven't seen Prometheus yet, and I haven't seen any of the Alien films in MANY years (in fact, I don't think I've ever even seen #4). Should I re-watch any of them before checking out Prometheus?

I'd say it is not at all necessary to watch any of the Alien films including Alien. In fact as a big fan of Ridley's first three films as well I would rather not watch them before Prometheus because I just would not want to end up comparing them.

There are tips of the hat to the other films and Prometheus seems to use Alien for outline, structure, and set pieces to the extent it seems more reboot/remake than new film but there are no specific items from the other films you need to know to follow it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Necessary? No. Recommended? Yes. Prometheus is definitely more enjoyable with Alien fresh in your mind. Sure Prometheus stands on its own, but it was originally intended as a direct prequel to Alien so i'd say it's a good idea.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Tino said:
Sure Prometheus stands on its own, but it was originally intended as a direct prequel to Alien so i'd say it's a good idea.

Before Damon Lindelof got involved, right? Isn't he the one that changed the story to have a more tangential relationship to Alien?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sam Favate said:
Before Damon Lindelof got involved, right? Isn't he the one that changed the story to have a more tangential relationship to Alien?
Yes

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
According to Ridley Prometheus is not a prequel to Alien it is just something that takes place in the Alien "Universe" and if you watch it thinking it is a prequel to Alien it makes no bloody sense whatsoever. The main connection between the two films is the Space Jockey and somehow they manage to royally muck that up...but then according to Ridley he was taking a mulligan there...

To me Alien/Prometheus is Ridley's Rio Bravo/El Dorado...except in Hawks case they are both good films and for Ridley he only got it right the first time.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
We can debate the merits of Prometheus in its thread. I think It makes plenty of sense and is tied into Alien more than you think. But whatever, this is the Bladerunner sequel thread as Doug had mentioned so...DO androids really dream of electric sheep??[emoji12]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks