What's new

Blu-ray voice sound terrible quiet (1 Viewer)

lyko

Auditioning
Real Name
sam
Hi all,

ever since blue-rays were released, yes years ago, I hated watching them because I have to turn the volume up and down constantly. The problem is the voices are very quiet but all the music and special effects almost blow you away, they're soo loud. So what happens is that we turn up the volume when there are dialogs and almost fall from the couch when it switches to music/sound effects.

Why is that? I keep choosing dvd quality if streaming and only by dvd's no Blue-rays for this reason.

How can I fix this? And why is this?

I'm at a point where I just want to be able to enjoy quality blue-rays without having this annoying sound problem.

It happens on all three TV's and with all Blue-rays we own.. so I presume it is not a TV or Blue-ray player problem.

Thanks,

lyko

Auditioning
Real Name
sam
schan1269 said:
And your audio system is...???
TV :). No system. I was against wasting moneyh on a sound system just because how stupid blueray audio is..apparently.

But if I really have to get a system, I don't want to spend more than $150 on it. Or perhaps I could just get a center speaker only for the dialogues?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
You really should look at getting something to help out that TV in the audio department if you're a movie watcher. You're really cheating yourself out of a lot by using the TV speakers only. $150 is a tough budget to get something other than a soundbar. You can't just get a center channel as a center channel is powered from an AVR...I'm not even sure if you can hook a center channel up without the L/R mains connected.

Here are some options that I would consider that are not soundbars.

[*]2.1 speaker system: Boston Acoustics Cinema $160 - right over your budget but you're getting a nice 2.1 all included.
[*]Soundbases/soundplates: ZVOX 220 or Vizio 2121 $170 - a bit more than your budget but they are another all in one option. No separate subwoofer to place or deal with. Your TV just sits on it. (if you can go to $200 you can upgrade to the ZVOX 420)
[/list]
Of course there is always the soundbar road that you can go down. You can probably just pick one and give it shot.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I had trouble coalescing to the $150 budget as well.BA TVeee25/26.They are "the same" soundbar in different clothes. I have two. That is the least soundbar I will recommend. You might find refurb/open box for close to your budget.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I actually just looked at that BA XS 2.1 system.You might find the Onkyo version (HDX22, I think) for around the same price.Edit:HTX 22. None to be found(Amazon, TigerDirect or NewEgg), unless you find one on Ebay(not looked).The newer one(also discontinued) is the LS3100. Amazon warehouse deals on it just over $200.

lyko

Auditioning
Real Name
sam
Thanks guys for the replies.

What is wrong with soundbars e.g. why would you not recommend getting one? Really the only thing I want to achieve is to be able to watch blue rays without having to hold the tv remote the whole movie to adjust the volume.

I'm asking because there are currently all sound bars on sale at my local store.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Weird. Can't get Canadian BB to load up...(never tried before though).I would go listen. I would also stick to "made by an audio company".Nobody I have ever recommended the TVee25/26 to has been disappointed.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Sound bar is to surround sound what curved screen is to three-dimensional image: squat.Does your TV have a "Night mode"? This will compress all audio so that loud noises and quiet dialog are much closer together.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
lyko said:
Thanks guys for the replies.

What is wrong with soundbars e.g. why would you not recommend getting one? Really the only thing I want to achieve is to be able to watch blue rays without having to hold the tv remote the whole movie to adjust the volume.
There's nothing wrong with a soundbar they are just usually lower quality than other products. You generally have less flexibility no ability to upgrade them. However, with your budget there's not too much else what will fit.

I suggested the soundstand/base/plate option as they are less involved than a soundbar. You can certainly go the soundbar route if you like. I would look for something with an included "subwoofer" to give you the low end that you're currently missing. I would also go for wired as wireless tends to be not so good in the lower cost range...YMMV but I've had poor luck. A remote is a must as are bass and treble controls. If you want a few options here is what I found on the Canada BB site.

[*]Philips - super cheap but decent sound for what it is.
[*]Sony - see above adds in bluetooth if that is something you wanted.
[*]Yamaha - It's a Yamaha no added sub but has integrated "sub"
[*]Vizio sound base - recommended it earlier just linked the BB version now.
[/list]
I've heard all of them and they will all be much better than your TV.

lyko

Auditioning
Real Name
sam
ArmSC said:
There's nothing wrong with a soundbar they are just usually lower quality than other products. You generally have less flexibility no ability to upgrade them. However, with your budget there's not too much else what will fit.

I suggested the soundstand/base/plate option as they are less involved than a soundbar. You can certainly go the soundbar route if you like. I would look for something with an included "subwoofer" to give you the low end that you're currently missing. I would also go for wired as wireless tends to be not so good in the lower cost range...YMMV but I've had poor luck. A remote is a must as are bass and treble controls. If you want a few options here is what I found on the Canada BB site.

[*]Philips - super cheap but decent sound for what it is.
[*]Sony - see above adds in bluetooth if that is something you wanted.
[*]Yamaha - It's a Yamaha no added sub but has integrated "sub"
[*]Vizio sound base - recommended it earlier just linked the BB version now.
[/list]
I've heard all of them and they will all be much better than your TV.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion.
I'm leaning towards the Sony you've mentioned.

Before I order it though, what about this one:
Philips 120W Sound Bar With Subwoofer (HTL5110/F7)http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=7196b85d5fcd10bc62288c7be219e7a5en02 $149

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Best Buy must have the worst website editors ever.

I find it hard to believe "none" of those soundbars decodes DTS.

I know that Yamaha does. BB even says so on the features page...but is "no" when you look at the spec page.

At least we know where BB profits aren't going...

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
lyko said:
Thanks a lot for the suggestion.
I'm leaning towards the Sony you've mentioned.

Before I order it though, what about this one:
Philips 120W Sound Bar With Subwoofer (HTL5110/F7) $149
I haven't heard that one so I can't recommend it based on sound. I do tend to stay away from wireless subs at this price point. I've found them to be finicky...the wired ones always work.

lyko

Auditioning
Real Name
sam
schan1269 said:
Best Buy must have the worst website editors ever.

I find it hard to believe "none" of those soundbars decodes DTS.

I know that Yamaha does. BB even says so on the features page...but is "no" when you look at the spec page.

At least we know where BB profits aren't going...
DTS, UniVolume and Clear Voice make the $50 premium for the Yamaha YAS101 a no brainer.
Well even on the Yanaha spec page it says no.... so it's probably 0 accurate.

lyko

Auditioning
Real Name
sam
As if it wouldn't be hard enough for a guy like me to chose from one even if the spec page would be accurate :(

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
lyko said:
Well even on the Yanaha spec page it says no.... so it's probably 0 accurate.
Don't know what you are looking at.Every Yamaha, as in all of them, processes DTS.(I'm actually looking at the Yamaha compare page right now of the 101 and 103)

lyko

Auditioning
Real Name
sam
schan1269 said:
Don't know what you are looking at.Every Yamaha, as in all of them, processes DTS.(I'm actually looking at the Yamaha compare page right now of the 101 and 103)
I was looking at the details and spec page on the BB site for the Yamaha YAS 101. And under "Audio" it has only "No" not one "yes".
It's sold out anyways, but after reading through some reviews and googling a lot, it seems that Yamaha are quite decent. Will see if I can still get a Yamaha deal below $200 somewhere :).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
lyko said:
I was looking at the details and spec page on the BB site for the Yamaha YAS 101. And under "Audio" it has only "No" not one "yes".It's sold out anyways, but after reading through some reviews and googling a lot, it seems that Yamaha are quite decent. Will see if I can still get a Yamaha deal below $200 somewhere :).
Good choice. Yamaha rules the roost in "soundbar". Even the YAS 93 packs a punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks