What's new

VCI Serial DVD's (1 Viewer)

Mark McFurbin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Buggles
I'm looking at VCI's serial selection but before I purchase any, I've been reading online that they put logos/bugs on their releases. If that's the case I don't want any of them, does anybody know which ones have the logo or maybe all of them do?

Thanks....

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Personally, I've checked out Serial Squadron's stuff before I get anything from VCI. They also do reviews on their message board for anything serial related.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
mdnitoil said:
Personally, I've checked out Serial Squadron's stuff before I get anything from VCI. They also do reviews on their message board for anything serial related.
I recommend THE SERIAL SQUADRON as well - the work "Doc" Eric Steadman has done in locating, and restoring serials is nothing short of amazing. He's located several rare silent serials and rescued many,many more from poor quality PD "Hell" :)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
The only serials I care about are the 4 Commando Cody ones and Capt. Marvel. I wish VCI would have done three of the four Codys instead of Cheezy Flix!

Mark McFurbin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Buggles
DeWilson said:
I recommend THE SERIAL SQUADRON as well - the work "Doc" Eric Steadman has done in locating, and restoring serials is nothing short of amazing. He's located several rare silent serials and rescued many,many more from poor quality PD "Hell" :)

Really? I have some DVD's from The Serial Squadron and the quality is awful. I've had better luck with VCI. Any suggestions for some good quality Serial Squadron releases?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I have around 35 serials. I would say VCI has distributed several of the higher video quality ones that i own. i don't recall any logos/bugs but I would have to check to verify. I've had mixed results when buying from others online distributors (I've tried a couple different ones), from decent enough to unwatchable (many being DVD-R's). For certain titles there aren't many options.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
You could always go to the authorized VHS route, try amazon marketplace sellers. Columbia released THE SHADOW and BLACKHAWK and maybe some others.

REPUBLIC HOME VIDEO released more than two dozen,(I think), Republic serials on VHS. All logo free.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
They also released about 20 on Laserdisc which were better quality than the VHS and also the source for many or the third party DVD's on Amazon. I had most of them but also sold most of them about 9-10 years ago thinking they would get quality DVD releases. So I now regret selling them but I did get good money for them.

Bob Gu said:
You could always go to the authorized VHS route, try amazon marketplace sellers. Columbia released THE SHADOW and BLACKHAWK and maybe some others.

REPUBLIC HOME VIDEO released more than two dozen,(I think), Republic serials on VHS. All logo free.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Bob Gu said:

They released 52 of the 66 Republic Serials! Some with original trailers. This also includes top notch copies of the ones in the public domain.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
DeWilson said:
They released 52 of the 66 Republic Serials! Some with original trailers. This also includes top notch copies of the ones in the public domain.
Might you have a list?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Ray, just search "Republic VHS serial" in TV and movies at amazon. You should get most of them. (Some VCI's and non-serials also come up.)

Most of the Republic VHS serials came out in the '80s but another batch was released in the late '90s. I was surprised to see THE GHOST OF ZORRO, with Clayton Moore came out in 1998. I did not know about that one and bought a not so good bootleg some years back.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
The only official release of "Ghost of Zorro" was the feature version edited together in the late 1950's to cash in on Disney's Zorro, was released on a double feature with a feature version of "Zorro Rides Again".

Batch #1 (1988) :
1. Adventures of Captain Marvel
2. King of the Rocket Men
3. Zombies Of The Stratosphere
4. The Crimson Ghost
5. The Fighting Devil Dogs
6. Mysterious Doctor Satan
7. The Purple Monster Strikes
8. Nyoka and the Tigermen (orig. Perils Of Nyoka)
9. Manhunt in the African Jungles (orig. Secret Service In Darkest Africa)
10. Daredevils of the Red Circle

Batch #2 (1988) :
11. Son of Zorro
12. Perils of the Darkest Jungle (orig. The Tiger Woman)
13. King of the Texas Rangers
14. The Masked Marvel
15. Radar Men from the Moon
16. Spy Smasher

Batch #3 (1989):
17. Jesse James Rides Again
18. G-Men vs the Black Dragon (VHS and Laserdisc)
1. Adventures of Captain Marvel (Laserdisc - possibly part of Batch #4)

Batch #4 (1990):
19. The Painted Stallion (VHS and Laserdisc with the trailer)
20. Undersea Kingdom (VHS and Laserdisc with the trailer)
21. Robinson Crusoe of Clipper Island (VHS and Laserdisc with the trailer)
22. Zorro’s Black Whip (VHS and Laserdisc with the trailer)
23. SOS Coast Guard (VHS and Laserdisc with the trailer)
24. Zorro’s Fighting Legion (VHS and Laserdisc with the trailer)

Batch #5 (December 1991):
25. The Invisible Monster
26. Radar Patrol vs. Spy King
27. Jungle Drums Of Africa
28. The Black Widow
29. Flying Disc Man From Mars
30. Federal Agents vs. Underworld Inc.

Batch #6 (1991):
31. G-Men Never Forget
32. Government Agents vs. Phantom Legion
33. King of the Forest Rangers

Batch #7 (1992):
34. Zorro Rides Again (with the trailer)
35. Desperadoes of the West (with the trailer)
36. The James Brothers of Missouri (with the trailer)

Batch #8 (1992):
37. Darkest Africa (with the trailer)
38. Manhunt of Mystery Island (with the trailer)
39. Panther Girl of the Congo (with the trailer)

Batch #9 (April 1993):
40. Trader Tom of the China Seas (with the trailer)
41. Adventures of Frank and Jesse James (with the trailer)
42. Don Daredevil Rides Again (with the trailer)
43. The Phantom Rider

Batch #10 (December 1993):
44. The Vigilantes Are Coming
45. Haunted Harbor
46. Daughter Of Don Q
47. Federal Operator 99 (with the trailer)
48. Canadian Mounties vs Atomic Invaders (with the trailer)

Batch #11 (July 18, 1995):
49. Man With the Steel Whip (with the trailer)
50. Hawk of the Wilderness
51. Dangers of the Canadian Mounted (with the trailer)
52. King of the Carnival (with the trailer)

Republic Laserdiscs:
(All had theatrical trailers, the ones that have fallen into the public domain are the best versions anywhere - from the master negatives)
  1. Zorro's Fighting Legion
  2. Zorro Rides Again
  3. Painted Stallion
  4. Robinson Crusoe of Clipper Island
  5. Undersea Kingdom
  6. Darkest Africa
  7. King of the Texas Rangers
  8. The Adventures of Captain Marvel
  9. Nyoka and the Tigermen
  10. Manhunt in African Jungle
  11. Perils of Darkest Jungle
  12. G Men vs. Black Dragon
  13. Manhunt of Mystery Island
  14. Jesse James Rides Again
  15. Son of Zorro
  16. King of the Rocketmen
  17. James Brothers of Missouri
  18. Desperados of the West
  19. Zombies of the Stratosphere
  20. Government Agents vs Phantom Legion
  21. Panther Girl of the Congo
  22. S.O.S. Coast Guard

Not Released By Republic, either public domain,missing elements, or expired rights.

53. Dick Tracy, (VCI, PD)

54. Dick Tracy Returns, (VCI)

55. Dick Tracy’s G-Men, (VCI)

56. Dick Tracy vs Crime Inc., (VCI)
(The Above four under licence by Tribune Media which the rights

reverted back to them in the 1950's, The first has fallen into public domain)

57. Captain America (Video Treasures and before that, The Nostalgia Merchant; title has compilated rights issues since the early 1990's due to missing paperwork from Republic and Marvel - but it was renewed by Republic/NTA)

58. Drums of Fu Manchu (VCI, Serial Squadron)

59. Jungle Girl, (VCI)(owned by ERB,inc.)

60. Adventures Of Red Ryder, (VCI) (owned by Red Ryder Ent)

61. Ghost Of Zorro (Word is Paramount is missing elements - the master was used to cut the feature together in the 1950's)

62. Daredevils of the West (Incomplete print - "restored" by serial squadron new dubbing of missing dialog,original Republic music and sound effects added to sections without original soundtrack. )

63. King of the Royal Mounted (VCI)

64. King of the Mounties, (Incomplete print - "restored" by serial squadron with captions,original Republic music and sound effects added to sections without original soundtrack)

65. The Lone Ranger (Public Domain - "restored" by serial squadron - overseas dub print without subtitles with English track restored )

66. The Lone Ranger Rides Again (Public Domain - "restored" by serial squadron - spanish subtitles removed)

67. Commando Cody - Sky Marshal of The Universe (Both the TV Version and Theatrical Versions Exist at Paramount. No official release anywhere - most prints going around are the TV Version.)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
How does everyone here watch their serials? Once a week on Saturday afternoons to replicate the original theatrical experience? One per night? A few chapters at a time? All at once? I'm curious.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
When I had many of them on Laserdisc I would always watch 1 chapter at a time.

Since early last year I have been having fun recreating b-movie double features with mainly old comedy teams but I could switch to sci-fi or horror later. My current schedule of 1 a week will probably take me close to 2 years to complete. This is what I watch:

For the movies I have a rotation of:

1st Movie: Laurel & Hardy; 2nd Movie: Abbott & Costello -(Since L & H will finish 1st I will replace them with Ma & PA Kettle)

1st Movie: A Monogram Western; 2nd Movie: Wheeler and Woolsey

1st Movie: Monogram Western or Bomba the Jungle Boy; 2nd Movie: The Bowery Boys

My complete recreation is:

1.) A theatrical Cartoon

2.) A Three Stooges, Shemp Howard or Little Rascals Short

3.) 1st Movie

---Intermission---

4.) A theatrical cartoon

5.) 1 chapter of a Republic Serial

6.) A Joe Mcdoakes or Robert Benchley Short

7.) 2nd Movie

My Theatrical Cartoons are a rotation of: Looney Tunes, Popeye, Mr. Magoo, The Fleischer Superman cartoons, Tom & Jerry, Woody Woodpecker and Loopy de Loop.

Believe it or not the whole program only takes 3 1/2 - 4 hours to view. Great fun on a Saturday or Sunday.

Professor Echo said:
How does everyone here watch their serials? Once a week on Saturday afternoons to replicate the original theatrical experience? One per night? A few chapters at a time? All at once? I'm curious.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
When viewing TV shows and serials on DVD or even VHS, I like to keep things simple and basically watch the whole disc/tape all the way through,(partly to save wear and tear on the players). I might stop and come back days later to finish before switching to a new disc.

With serials, I find them very relaxing and sometimes fall asleep. If I am lucky, I wake up just as the recap chapter begins.

There were also colorized feature versions of THE CRIMSOM GHOST and ZOMBIES OF THE STRATOSPHERE, released by Republic Home Video, on VHS.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Professor Echo said:
I usually watch 'em a full disc at a time. That's out of sheer laziness of not wanting to get off the couch to swap discs.

I *do* like what Randy is doing and may give that a couple of tries - especially on those Saturdays the grandkids are at the house. I think they'd get a kick out of the experience! :D

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yeah it is a little bit of work to keep changing discs but that helps keep me awake for the whole experience :)

Sometimes I will use 2 players to save disc changing time.

BobO'Link said:
I usually watch 'em a full disc at a time. That's out of sheer laziness of not wanting to get off the couch to swap discs.

I *do* like what Randy is doing and may give that a couple of tries - especially on those Saturdays the grandkids are at the house. I think they'd get a kick out of the experience! :D

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Professor Echo said:

When I get in a groove I like to ride it a bit, so with serials I will typically watch between four and six episodes at a time, or in other words watch from start to finish across two to three nights. I realize many like to relive or duplicate how something was original run, and I can see the merits in that, but for me its about the flexibility of doing it with no restrictions. Most likely how i would have done it at the time if i could have.

Somewhat similar with TV shows except I can rarely watch an entire series straight through without a break. Most of the time I will have two or three series of high interest going on at a time and will alternate a bit with the goal of watching at least a full season before introducing something new. However, new purchases will sometimes derail the best of intentions.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It was what we used to call Saturday Morning Pictures in the UK way back in the late fifties/early sixties. I used to live for Saturday morning & those serials. I've tried watching them in one go, but it doesn't work for me (but you can see all the cheats on those cliffhanger endings), so it's two or three at the most. I haven't looked at my DVD's for a while. I have:

Flash Gordon (3x)
The Phantom Empire
Undersea Kingdom
King Of The Rocketmen
The Adventures Of Captain Marvel
Zorro's Fighting Legion
Jungle Girl

All of which I saw & loved when I was about ten years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks