What's new

put Velodyne driver in SVS? (1 Viewer)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I have a SVS sub ( not sure of the model number ) it has a 12" driver. It sounds great, but distorts a bit at high levels at the bottom end.

I have an older Velodyne HGS-12 with a blown amp. The driver is fine. Would it be worth testing putting the velodyne driver in the SVS sub? not sure if the amp in the SVS is up to task...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Before you go removing/installing...Why not try taking the amp from the SVS and wire it up to the Velodyne. You need to remove the other amp as well...but you can run the wire between the plate and box. Faster, and easier, to do that.(Is the Velo amp not turning on...or turning on...not doing anything?)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
The amp is not turning on. no signs of life. im assuming power supply issue. Velodyne qouted me $275 for repair. I may still do that, but I picked up the SVS on Craigslist for $400. I always wanted a SVS, but i thought maybe the velodyne driver would be an improvement.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The box is(typically) tuned for the driver. Don't know how "different" the boxes are.But it would be simpler to turn the HGS passive and then hook up some amp externally(such as a Behringer iNuke). External amplification makes this so much simpler. It would take 10 minutes (maybe 15) with a screwdriver to bypass the HGS amp. If the power cord is attached you could simply take the inside leads off, connect directly to the driver leads. Then cut off the plug...(in other words, use the existing power cord as speaker wire).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Need to know which SVS it is and if the ports are properly configured for what you want to do. Changing the alignment might help, providing the driver is not damaged. The Velodyne driver may work, but almost certainly will not work correctly in the SVS enclosure so I would not do that.

If you want to use the Velo, you can also look at just picking up a stand alone sub amp from Parts Express and just bypass the Velo amp (add some binding posts and attach leads direct to the driver, leave old amp in place). Might cost a little bit more, but it can be used with other projects besides just that sub.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sa230-230w-subwoofer-amplifier--300-813

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sa1000-subwoofer-amplifier-rack-mountable--300-811

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I like the idea of just making the velodyne passive and buying a new external amp. Thanks everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks