What's new

TV Manufacturers Giving Up On 3-D in Favor Of Curved Screens? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I paid a visit to my local (Maine) Best Buy a few days back and noticed a prominent display of a 55" Samsung curved screen t.v., on "sale" for roughly $3500.00. A sales clerk approached me and asked if I needed anything, and I asked her, essentially, why I might need a slightly curved screen t.v. for almost $4,000. for what was the same size set as my 3-D Panny set, for which I paid about $1500. The clerk told me she had just attended a trade show, and informed me that Samsung and various other manufacturers were dropping 3-D support in deference to curved-screen technology, which added depth and rendered 3-D obsolete.

This information did not sit well with me. For one thing, this curved screen bullshit is just a gimmick and adds almost no perceivable depth. Secondly, I now own nearly 100 3-D Blu-rays, and if Samsung and other companies are dropping 3-D support, where would that leave me and millions of other 3-D enthusiasts?

Personally, I think this women was full of shit, and misinterpreted what she was told at the trade show.

But is there anyone here who can provide information about this issue?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are several 2014 Samsung displays with 3D capability in this link.

Here is their 2015 lineup. Still plenty of the 3D displays. I don't paid attention to BB Blue Shirts as they rarely give you accurate information.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Curved screens. Just another gimmick. At least, 3D capability is functionally useful. I read Samsung's selling point for curved screens and laughed. Something about having the same viewing experience on off angles as from the center. It just sounded like pure shinola to me.

Go to YouTube ... and look for my video SAMSUNG 4K CURVED DEFECT UNBOXING ... yup , that was my 1st experience with a curved tv .... ; (

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I'm a grizzled old man with a white puffy beard who wears turtleneck sweaters and lives in a lighthouse. I fully endorse the invention of curved TVs. If only they could make them water-proof, though...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I notice that the shelves at Costco and BJs have recently featured a lot more curved screens than 3D sets. Ugh. Online searches still show plenty of 3D sets available.

I have been told some INCREDIBLE WHOPPERS by Best Buy employees in the TV department. Sometimes I go in there just for entertainment to see what they'll tell me next. :)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Aaron Silverman said:
I notice that the shelves at Costco and BJs have recently featured a lot more curved screens than 3D sets. Ugh. Online searches still show plenty of 3D sets available.

I have been told some INCREDIBLE WHOPPERS by Best Buy employees in the TV department. Sometimes I go in there just for entertainment to see what they'll tell me next. :)

You need to go to a store that has commissioned sales employees. They make more money than a BB employee and are more informed (most of them).

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
Curved screens are impractical and the fad won't last. 3D is a busted flush.

The future is 4K.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Jim517 said:
3D is a joke and so are curved screens. No thanks.

I have enjoyed a few 3D movies very much (the Bubble, Avatar, Hugo) but most 3D releases suffer from very poorly done 3D effects (2 & 1/2 D if you will). I think if really done properly, the 3D effect can add immensely to enjoyment of a movie. JMHO.

Dick said:
I paid a visit to my local (Maine) Best Buy a few days back and noticed a prominent display of a 55" Samsung curved screen t.v., on "sale" for roughly $3500.00. A sales clerk approached me and asked if I needed anything, and I asked her, essentially, why I might need a slightly curved screen t.v. for almost $4,000. for what was the same size set as my 3-D Panny set, for which I paid about $1500. The clerk told me she had just attended a trade show, and informed me that Samsung and various other manufacturers were dropping 3-D support in deference to curved-screen technology, which added depth and rendered 3-D obsolete.

This information did not sit well with me. For one thing, this curved screen bullshit is just a gimmick and adds almost no perceivable depth. Secondly, I now own nearly 100 3-D Blu-rays, and if Samsung and other companies are dropping 3-D support, where would that leave me and millions of other 3-D enthusiasts?

Personally, I think this women was full of shit, and misinterpreted what she was told at the trade show.

But is there anyone here who can provide information about this issue?

heatsink101

Auditioning
Real Name
Hermy
Jim517 said:
3D is a joke and so are curved screens. No thanks.

Lol I totally agree. I saw something about Samsung making a flexible screen where the remote could curve it in either direction.

Useless tech.

DaleAV

Agent
I think giving up on 3D may come down to economics. I don't hate it, but I would not miss it either. The bigger dropout was plasma. But I do think OLED will replace it eventually and at reasonable pricing. That is only a matter of time.

Curved should be an option. I don't care for it myself, but who knows if it does not grow on you. But at the same time, any reasons to have it sound more like rationalizations to me. Save reducing some ambient reflections, but that is certainly a variable as large as the number of viewers out there with different room situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks