What's new

3D Almost Given Up On My Panny Plasma For Decent 3-D (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This is a shame, because I love the deep black levels and the dynamic colors of plasma. But I own nearly 100 3-D movies and, no matter how I try to adjust 3-D settings between my t.v. and my 3-D player, I am getting far too much ghosting to be able to enjoy many of these movies. DIAL M FOR MURDER, THE BUBBLE, EDGE OF TOMORROW...dozens of my discs produce a headache-inducing amount of ghosting.

While some of my movies, such as CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and most of the Pixar titles, look great, I feel I am missing out on a lot of 3- pleasure because my monitor simply doesn't handle the format well with too many of my discs. Plasma is a dying breed, and I have to consider other options. I do not have a large enough space for a projector, so I am looking for advice regarding a really decent 55-60" 3-D monitor that will resolve the 3-D effects of films such as the first three I mentioned, as well as everything else, and also offer the second-best black levels (after plasma) that are available.

Anyone else in a similar quandary, and have any of your suggestions? Something under $2,000 would help!

Many thanks.

P.S. Sorry I reversed two letters on "Plasma" in the header, but I cannot edit that.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
DLP is the only way to get zero crosstalk during a 3D presentation. DLP TV's are no longer manufactured, so you'll have to track down a used model.

GregK

Screenwriter
One option is the newer 4K displays that also do passive 3-D. Most passive 3-D implementations in 4K displays means essentially 2K per eye for 3-D, so there's no resolution loss with 3-D blurays. As long as you can view a passive set at or close to eye level, the cancellation should be very very good and the overall 3-D light loss will be minimal.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
revgen said:
DLP is the only way to get zero crosstalk during a 3D presentation. DLP TV's are no longer manufactured, so you'll have to track down a used model.
Agreed!

I love my 67 inch Samsumg DLP LED 67A750 TV. 3D on it is amazing. Knock on wood it keeps on trucking for many more years!

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Dick,

I dont know why you are experiencing such poor picture quality.
I have a 3D Panasonic plasma (ST50) with a Samsung 3D blu ray player and the 3D picture is amazing.
I am a perfectionist when it comes to optimizing picture quality and would be the first to criticize the poor PQ of a DVD or the equipment its played on.
From what I've read, the active 3D ulitlized by the Pansonic plasma is superior vusually to the passive used by other sets. I'd hate to lose that advantage when my set dies....which I hope isn't for many years.

John

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
So, I guess my question is: how much difference does the brand and model # of a given 3-D player company have when it comes to the reproduction of 3-D on my Panny plasma?

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
3D on my Panasonic ST50 (Panasonic glasses) and Panasonic BDT110 works great. Only ghosting is on some badly produced movies. Some discs that got so-so reviews looked very good on my set. Maybe your player or glasses are the issue?
(Panasonic ST series tv's are discontinued.)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
One forum member recommended making sure 48Hz output was selected on picture settings in 3D. I tried that on my Panny plasma and it significantly reduced, if not completely eliminated the ghosting on several titles.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Stephen_J_H said:
One forum member recommended making sure 48Hz output was selected on picture settings in 3D. I tried that on my Panny plasma and it significantly reduced, if not completely eliminated the ghosting on several titles.
Since all 3D Blu-ray players and 3D TVs are 24p capable it beats me why anyone would have it disabled! :eek:

macdaddy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
The 3d picture on my Samsung hu8500f 4k is amazing. 0 crosstalk , the only ghosting I've seen is in Dial M For Murder.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Stephen_J_H said:
I've looked through my Panny manual and through all the t.v. settings onscreen and cannot find a way to select "48Hz." How did you do it with your set?

HJW

Grip
Real Name
Holland
I have a GT50 60 incher and an OPPO BD-83 and 3D is flawless. Prior to changing to something else, I would have an expert take a look and see if he/she can identify the problem. You paid for the best and there's no reason why you should not experience it.

I hope that a 'downgrade' is NOT the best option...good luck!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Dick said:
I've looked through my Panny manual and through all the t.v. settings onscreen and cannot find a way to select "48Hz." How did you do it with your set?
Go into your picture settings, scroll all the way to the bottom and select advanced settings. There are selectable settings for enhanced black levels, motion smoothing and 48Hz output.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
4K passive is the best solution but unfortunately nearly all 4K 3D TVs sold today are active. That's a pretty strong statement that manufacturers are completely indifferent about it. Fortunately I have a 4K passive TV (Sony 65x900A) but I think none of the passive 4K options out there are available for under 3K (AFAIK).

Town Crier

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek
Like the other Panasonic plasma owners chiming in, I have no problem with my GT-31 regarding 3D. I suspect your TV just isn't set-up correctly. Do you have any friends nearby that could help you set it up? You might consider paying a professional to come calibrate your set and make sure the 3D part is working right. Mine is connected to a Panasonic 3D blu ray player and it worked great right out of the box. What player are you using with your set?

T.C.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Robert Crawford said:
Dick,

Which Panny plasma do you have?
This is a Viera TC-P55UT50.

And to Stephen: thanks for the suggestion, but when I get to the screen you led me to, I have the Motion Smoothness option and the Black Level option, but instead of any option for 48 Hz, I have "Mosquito NR."

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Stephen_J_H said:
Sorry; it's called 24p Direct In, and it should be set to 48Hz instead of 60Hz..
Sorry to carry this on further, but the 24p Direct in, which is set for 60Hz, is grayed out. I cannot select it. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks