What's new

Mike Nichols RIP (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Too many of his films are are missing in action on blu. Waiting for CARNAL KNOWLEDGE among others.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I've been vocal about how hardly any of his films have yet to be released on BLU.

Really sad, I was just thinking the other day if he would possibly be ready to make another film soon.

Twilight Time just started taking pre-orders for The Fortune (1975) starring Jack NIcholson, Warren Beatty and Stockard Channing.

Working Girl, and Charlie Wilson's War will FINALLY be out on BLU in January . Still hoping to see films like Carnal Knowledge, Primary Colors, Postcards from the Edge, and honestly where is a Blu for Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A wonderful talent and someone who managed to be a great success in every field of show business winning awards for theater, television, film, and recordings. I'm sure many actors who worshipped at his shrine will be very, very unhappy with this news.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Will be listening to some Nichols and May albums today (N as in newel post).Also will listen to WFMT's Midnight Special radio show this Saturday in Chicago (Mike created the show)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Indeed. A landmark film in so many ways.

RIP ... to a gentle giant.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
According to EW.com -

Nichols had been planning to reunite with Meryl Streep on an HBO production of Master Class at the time of his death.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Sadly, the Graduate and Catch-22 are the reasons I'm NOT a Nichols fan--
Catch-22 was hated by critics at the time for taking Heller's book and turning it into a disconnected series of comedy sketches ("Help the bombadier!" "I am the bombardier!" "Then help him!")
While the Graduate is harmed by the fact that every single character is supposed to be a Symbol of the Troubled Search For 60's Identity, not one thing they do conforms to the patterns of human behavior. We gather that Benjamin is conflicted that Mrs. Robinson has been a trusted friend of his parents, but why a boozy suburban-frustrated middle-aged woman would throw herself at Hoffman's aimless mumbling zombie, and with such unsubtlety that he would normally run out of the room like a shot...
(In fact, it's sort of ironic: All those years growing up in the 70's, I was told I would find the Graduate a life-changing, eye-opening experience when I hit college...And when I did see the movie in college, I felt conflicted that I was alone in just not liking it that much or going with the majority, even though the older generation told me I was supposed to. :huh: )

We were just discovering the power of social satire in the troubled LBJ/Nixon days, but we had too many axes to grind to give it any finesse, and it's easy to smell a Mike Nichols-Buck Henry collaboration nowadays....Even "Day of the Dolphin".

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Ejanss said:
Sadly, the Graduate and Catch-22 are the reasons I'm NOT a Nichols fan--
Catch-22 was hated by critics at the time for taking Heller's book and turning it into a disconnected series of comedy sketches ("Help the bombadier!" "I am the bombardier!" "Then help him!")
While the Graduate is harmed by the fact that every single character is supposed to be a Symbol of the Troubled Search For 60's Identity, not one thing they do conforms to the patterns of human behavior. We gather that Benjamin is conflicted that Mrs. Robinson has been a trusted friend of his parents, but why a boozy suburban-frustrated middle-aged woman would throw herself at Hoffman's aimless mumbling zombie, and with such unsubtlety that he would normally run out of the room like a shot...
(In fact, it's sort of ironic: All those years growing up in the 70's, I was told I would find the Graduate a life-changing, eye-opening experience when I hit college...And when I did see the movie in college, I felt conflicted that I was alone in just not liking it that much or going with the majority, even though the older generation told me I was supposed to. :huh: )

We were just discovering the power of social satire in the troubled LBJ/Nixon days, but we had too many axes to grind to give it any finesse, and it's easy to smell a Mike Nichols-Buck Henry collaboration nowadays....Even "Day of the Dolphin".
A friend of mine in college had a whole theory about why THE GRADUATE became such a phenomenon. Something about the critics wanting to seem hip after initially dismissing the film and then seeing the long lines of college kids for the film and not wanting to miss the boat. (There was a lot of that in the late '60s.) But he was just as critical of the film as you were. I was not a big fan of it either. I wonder how it would have played with the original casting choices, Robert Redford and Doris Day, in the Hoffman/Bancroft parts. (Don't quote me on that--both were considered but maybe not at the same time.)

I may be alone in this, but I still think the best thing Nichols ever did was his comedy routines with Elaine May, although, granted, I've never seen any of the Broadway shows he directed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks