What's new

HDMI splitter that also supports HD audio? (2 Viewers)

Cherm2222

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Hello,

I was wondering if you guys would be able to suggest good HDMI splitters that can handle HD 7.1 audio such as DTS HD-MA and Tru HD. Reason I'm looking is because currently I have my Xbox one at my computer desk where I use my monitor for online play. Then I have an HDMI cable running to the receiver of my 7.1 system which I'll play on for more casual gaming. At the moment when I want to switch spots I have to unplug one HDMI cable from the back of the xbox and then put the other in, so a splitter would save a lot of hassle and I'm sort of worried about wearing the port down because I go back and forth so much. I bought a splitter that claimed to be able to do 7.1 lossless audio but I quickly found that was a lie and it only did stereo so now I'm not really sure what will work or not. Reading reviews isn't very helpful either since so few people have home theater systems. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks!

MasterAudio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
I've never done this before, but I know that you can. It can get a little pricey.Look up the company "Octava." The only thing is that you'll need to run an optical cable from your source device(s) to the switcher as well. Of course, there will be an optical out to go to wherever you please.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Audio is dumbed down to lowest denominator when using a splitter. All, as in every single one of them, will handle lossless audio...If you have an AVR in both locations.If you don't have an AVR in both locations, you need a matrix. A matrix actively disengages the outputs from the sources. Meaning...it can disengage the monitor, so the AVR will do everything it is supposed to. But if you use both locations at the same time. Dumbed down audio again.There are numerous 2x2 matrix on Amazon between $40-$50.Just make sure you do NOT buy one that is limited to "one source at a time". You want "multiple feed"(Amazon has a J-Tech for $44.08. At least what it is showing for the price).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
MasterAudio said:
I've never done this before, but I know that you can. It can get a little pricey.Look up the company "Octava." The only thing is that you'll need to run an optical cable from your source device(s) to the switcher as well. Of course, there will be an optical out to go to wherever you please.
Won't solve lossless audio.

Cherm2222

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
MasterAudio said:
Look up the company "Octava." The only thing is that you'll need to run an optical cable from your source device(s) to the switcher as well. Of course, there will be an optical out to go to wherever you please.
Damn, already using the optical cable for my headphones when at my PC, so I'd be replacing one problem with another.
schan1269 said:
If you don't have an AVR in both locations, you need a matrix. A matrix actively disengages the outputs from the sources. Meaning...it can disengage the monitor, so the AVR will do everything it is supposed to. But if you use both locations at the same time. Dumbed down audio again.

There are numerous 2x2 matrix on Amazon between $40-$50.
Ah ok, never heard of a matrix before. Is there any specific one you would recommend? I just did a search and found this

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-HDMI-Switch-Splitter/dp/B005H4Y6LS/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416416105&sr=1-5&keywords=2x2+matrix+switch

It says : Supports compressed audio such as DTS Digital, Dolby Digital including DTS-HD and Dolby True HD

Or is this more what you're talking about despite it having more ports than I need.

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Matrix-Switch-Remote/dp/B005H4Y6BS/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416416105&sr=1-4&keywords=2x2+matrix+switch

The thing I'm confused about is it still says :

"This Switch/Splitter switches and transmits each individual source to BOTH displays. Does not allow multiple input/output combinations"

Which is what we don't want correct? Because both broadcasting at the same time is what dumbs down the audio?

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
From the matrix link - get the following:

The Cable Matters 4x2 Matrix for HDMI allows up to four set-top boxes, DVD players, or other HDTV devices to be switched to two HDTV displays. This is a true matrix product. Each input can be individually switch to any of the two outputs.Instructions1. Connect up to four HDMI sources to the 4x2 Matrix Switch input ports using HDMI cables (not included).2. Connect up to two HDMI displays to the output ports.3. Once connected and powered, the HDMI sources can be selected and switched to the displays simultaneously.

#3 means you can have multiple inputs connected to both of the outputs at the same time -- not 1 to both...

For your setup:

Hook up your X-box via hdmi to 1 input...

Hook up output 1 to the receiver - and output 2 to the computer setup...

Then tell the switch to either send input 1 to output 1 or output 2....and you are done....

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Switch splitters look like a matrix, but aren't.Lately they've used the term "true matrix"...as some cheap stuff will still be labelled matrix.(And what Martino put in bold..."this is a true matrix product"...)And clarification...My original post, when I referred to "one source at a time"...that is switch splitter.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I use the older version of this - http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5312&seq=1&format=2

Monoprice has the best customer server ever. I had the early version of the matrix switcher but it wasn't reliable with the HDMI handshake. I lived with it for a couple of years before I found a long thread on another forum about Monoprice replacing my model with an upgraded one. Then I noticed the thread was almost 2 years old. I sent Monoprice and e-mail referencing that thread asking if the replacement program was still in effect. No mention of asking to get mine replaced. 30 minutes later I had a shipping notice e-mail. About 10 minutes after that the head of their customer service department sent an e-mail telling me to use the enclosed, pre-paid shipping label to send the old switcher back.

I just checked my Yahoo account. My new matrix switcher has been error free for 6 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks