What's new

Best represented year for tv on DVD (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Someone around here had a list of shows from the Fall 1965 tv season that have been released on DVD as season sets, but I was unable to find it just now.

Could someone post an updated version? Thanks

Also, doesn't Batman's release add another season? Looks like it started mid-season in January 1966. Plus, season 11 of Gunsmoke is on its way and season 7 of Bonanza recently came out [Edit: And almost forgot about Mister Ed's last season which will soon be out.].

I hope that My Three Sons, Ozzie & Harriet (Not the greatest of seasons for that classic, I know), and some others will eventually make it even more complete.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Found a post from Jack P from a year ago and used that as a basis for shows from the 1965/1966 television season that are represented with a DVD release. Have added several additions that have since happened and a few omissions like Daktari and The Flintstones.

Andy Griffith Show
Batman
Beverly Hillbillies
Bewitched
Bonanza
Combat!
Daktari
Daniel BooneDick Van Dyke Show
F Troop
Flipper
Get Smart!
Gidget
Gilligan's Island
Gomer Pyle USMC
Green Acres
Gunsmoke
Hazel
Hogan's Heroes
Honey West
I Dream of Jeannie
I Spy
Laredo
Lost in Space
McHale's Navy
Mister Ed
My Favorite Martian
My Mother the Car
Patty Duke Show
Perry Mason
Petticoat Junction
The Addams Family
The Baron
The Big Valley
The FBI
The Flintstones
The Fugitive
The Lucy Show
The Man From UNCLE
The Munsters
The Virginian
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Wild, Wild West

And Dr. Kildare's 5th season could very well add another to the count as early as next year. And there's room for hope that further additions could still happen since there's several possibilities that as of yet are still unreleased like My Three Sons.

Did I miss any from this list? Does any other year surpass this level of coverage on DVD?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
There isn't any year more represented on DVD than the 65-66 season, part of which is because there is a high level of overlap of shows in their last season (Mason, Van Dyke, Flintstones etc.) with shows that made their debut that season. The count is currently at 41 and if we eliminate primetime variety and game shows, that's well over 60% of all the shows that were on the primetime schedule in that season.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
LeoA said:
Found a post from Jack P from a year ago and used that as a basis for shows from the 1965/1966 television season that are represented with a DVD release. Have added several additions that have since happened and a few omissions like Daktari and The Flintstones.

Andy Griffith Show
Batman
Beverly Hillbillies
Bewitched
Bonanza
Combat!
Daktari
Daniel BooneDick Van Dyke Show
F Troop
Flipper
Get Smart!
Gidget
Gilligan's Island
Gomer Pyle USMC
Green Acres
Gunsmoke
I Dream of Jeannie
I Spy
Laredo
Lost in Space
McHale's Navy
Mister Ed
My Favorite Martian
My Mother the Car
Patty Duke Show
Perry Mason
Petticoat Junction
The Addams Family
The Big Valley
The FBI
The Flintstones
The Fugitive
The Lucy Show
The Man From UNCLE
The Munsters
The Virginian
Wild, Wild West

And Dr. Kildare's 5th season could very well add another to the count as early as next year. And there's room for hope that further additions could still happen since there's several possibilities that as of yet are still unreleased like My Three Sons.

Did I miss any from this list? Does any other year surpass this level of coverage on DVD?
Good year for "TV", and I have almost all of them on DVD!

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
How many of those shows were still running in b&w that year?
How many of those shows were in color that year but had started in b&w?
How many of those b&w shows shifted to color the next year?
How many of those shows were filmed in color from the start?
How many of those shows finished their run without ever shifting to color?

Anyone know off the top of their heads?

Just curious.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Here's what's missing:

Sitcoms: Wackiest Ship in the Army, Farmer's Daughter (S3), The John Forsythe Show, Please Don't Eat the Daisies (S1), Ozzie and Harriet (S14), O,K. Crackerby, Double Life of Henry Phyfe, My Three Sons (S6), Mona McCluskey, The Smothers Brothers Show, Camp Runamuck, Hank, Mr. Roberts.

Dramas: Trials of O'Brien, The Long Hot Summer, Lassie (S12), Bob Hope Chrysler Theatre (S3), The Blue Light, 12 O'Clock High, Ben Casey (S5), Dr. Kildare (S5), Run For Your Life (S1), Amos Burke Secret Agent, Slattery's People (S2), Convoy.

Westerns: A Man Called Shenandoah, The Legend of Jesse James, The Loner.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Kildare S5 is a slam-dunk certainty for next year. I am a little surprised Warner hasn't done "Please Don't Eat The Daisies" but that too is a reasonable possibility. And of course if the powers that be gave us "Burke's Law" S2 then obviously "Amos Burke" could follow. For non-Warner properties, "Run For Your Life" would strike me as the best possibility from that list to make it.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Another show on DVD for the 1965-66 season list is, THE BARON, starring Steve Forrest, which premiered in Jan. 1966 on ABC, Thursdays, taking the timeslot of THE LONG HOT SUMMER, which moved to the Wednesday slot of the cancelled AMOS BURKE: SECRET AGENT.The Baron was the first ITC hour-long show filmed in color.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Bob Gu said:
Another show on DVD for the 1965-66 season list is, THE BARON, starring Steve Forrest, which premiered in Jan. 1966 on ABC, Thursdays, taking the timeslot of THE LONG HOT SUMMER, which moved to the Wednesday slot of the cancelled AMOS BURKE: SECRET AGENT.The Baron was the first ITC hour-long show filmed in color.
For those with an all -region DVD player , The Baron is available in two different sets in region 2 format . Both sets feature the complete series and can be ordered from Amazon UK.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Evidently I didn't do such a great job with the H section since I just noticed that we've also missed Hogan's Heroes, which premiered in the Fall of 1965.

I'll see if I can request editing privileges for my earlier post and fix it.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The funny thing is if you step back just one season to 1964-65, the last almost fully black and white year for TV, look at how huge the amount of shows unavailable becomes:

Sitcoms: Broadside, The Joey Bishop Show (S4), The Bill Dana Show (S2), No Time For Sergeants, Wendy and Me, Many Happy Returns, Karen, Harris Against The World, Tom, Dick and Mary, The Bing Crosby Show, The Tycoon, Mickey, The Cara Williams Show, The Baileys of Balboa, Valentine's Day, Ozzie and Harriet (S13), My Three Sons (S5), The Donna Reed Show (S7), The Farmer's Daughter (S2), The Jack Benny Program (S15), Kentucky Jones

Dramas: The Reporter, Slattery's People (S1), The Defenders (S4), The Doctors and the Nurses (S3), For the People, Lassie (S11), The Rogues, Ben Casey (S4), Dr. Kildare (S4), Mr. Novak (S2), Twelve O'Clock High (S1), Mr. Broadway, Our Private World, Kraft Suspense Theater (S2), Alfred Hitchcock Hour (S3), Bob Hope Chrysler Theatre (S2), Profiles in Courage, FDR

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
There was an hour-long b&w drama series set in Germany in the aftermath of WWII called "Court Martial" that premiered on April 29, 1966 and it ran till Sept. 2, 1966. IMDB lists it as 1965, for some reason. It was a spin-off of a two-part episode (in color) from "Kraft Suspense Theatre" called "The Case Against Paul Ryker" that aired in 1963 and later ran in theaters as a movie called SERGEANT RYKER. Bradford Dillman and Peter Graves starred in the two-parter and went on to star in the TV series. Lee Marvin played Ryker in the two-parter. I've seen episodes of the "Court Martial" series on YouTube. What I saw was superb.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Jack P said:
Kildare S5 is a slam-dunk certainty for next year.
Does Warner's own the 5th Season - when it was last syndicated overseas (Australia), it was from Republic, not Warners/MGM. Republic ended up with the NBC Films library, so was there a split in rights, or a domestic-international split?

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I did research on it once before and unfortunately don't have time to repeat it but I remember finding that the 66-67 season was represented very well also.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Neil Brock said:
The funny thing is if you step back just one season to 1964-65, the last almost fully black and white year for TV, look at how huge the amount of shows unavailable becomes:

Sitcoms: Broadside, The Joey Bishop Show (S4), The Bill Dana Show (S2), No Time For Sergeants, Wendy and Me, Many Happy Returns, Karen, Harris Against The World, Tom, Dick and Mary, The Bing Crosby Show, The Tycoon, Mickey, The Cara Williams Show, The Baileys of Balboa, Valentine's Day, Ozzie and Harriet (S13), My Three Sons (S5), The Donna Reed Show (S7), The Farmer's Daughter (S2), The Jack Benny Program (S15), Kentucky Jones

Dramas: The Reporter, Slattery's People (S1), The Defenders (S4), The Doctors and the Nurses (S3), For the People, Lassie (S11), The Rogues, Ben Casey (S4), Dr. Kildare (S4), Mr. Novak (S2), Twelve O'Clock High (S1), Mr. Broadway, Our Private World, Kraft Suspense Theater (S2), Alfred Hitchcock Hour (S3), Bob Hope Chrysler Theatre (S2), Profiles in Courage, FDR
A lot of quality shows there . Sadly most will probably never be seen again. It's to be expected with obscure , one season shows, but difficult to accept for popular titles like Lassie and Ben Casey.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Watching a season 5 episode of My Three Sons right now. That one better at least appear eventually.

The first 9 seasons of this show definitely deserve to be available.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Kildare was always produced by MGM so Warner owns all of it.

1966-67 is not quite as heavily represented only because we had such a high volume of shows ending in 65-66 compared to the following year. For 65-66 the count is 43. Here's what we have for 66-67 (I do not know when certain Brit imports aired in the US so for the moment I am not including "The Avengers" which I think didn't first air in the US until 67-68).

Andy Griffith Show
Batman
Bewitched
Combat!
Daktari
Daniel Boone
DragnetF Troop
Family Affair
Get Smart!
Gilligan's Island
Gomer Pyle USMC
Green Acres
Hogan's Heroes
I Dream of Jeannie
I Spy
Laredo
Lost in Space
Mission: Impossible
Star Trek
Tarzan
That Girl!
The Big Valley
The FBI
The Fugitive
The Girl From UNCLE
The Invaders
The Lucy Show
The Man From UNCLE
The Rat Patrol
The Time Tunnel
The Virginian
Wild, Wild West

That's 34 by my count. Four CBS/Paramount titles that are continuing just need one more release to make it and boost the total to 38 (Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction). After that we'd have to dig deeper into obscure titles to boost the number higher (Green Hornet is the most prominent one season only title not on DVD for that year)

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
This is a very interesting thread. I live in Britain and in the 1960s watched and really enjoyed television. Now looking back the 1960s was my favourite decade of all for television and although I do have shows I enjoy from other decades both before and since I still feel that the programmes of the 1960s were more to my taste than those of other decades. Unfortunately though many of the British programmes I loved watching back then no longer exist unlike the America ones. Programmes like Vendetta, King of the River, Badger's Bend, Champion House, The Spies, Orlando, Crane, The Rat Catchers etc were all drama programmes with many (and sometimes none) episodes no longer in the archives. Thankfully the America drama shows of the sixties do exist and I have most of them in my own personal DVD archive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks