What's new

Turning The Spotlight On....Judgment At Nuremberg (Twilight Time) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As someone who still has much catching up to do with some of the great
classic films, often guided to them by members of this forum, it is always
such a milestone for me when I find a film like Judgment At Nuremberg.

Sitting, watching the credits unfold, I was amazed at the powerhouse of
cast members that occupied this film. To see Judy Garland's name among
these Hollywood greats was the biggest surprise for me. Her performance --
not to mention the performances of all these actors -- were flawless.

There were several moments where I just sat in complete awe of what I was
witnessing onscreen. This is the most incredible courtroom drama film I have
ever seen --- as well as one of the best movies I own within my collection.

I am just so grateful to have discovered this film.

Overall, the transfer is stupendous, despite a few speckles here and there.
It's quite apparent that much care was given to the film's transfer.

There are a small handful of extras I have not explored yet.

After watching this sensational film, I just felt compelled to post something
here on HTF in an effort to share my experience with other members, and hope
to persuade anyone who has not seen Judgment At Nuremberg to put this on
their holiday wish list.

PS: Birdman of Alcatraz is next on my watch list. Have not seen that either.
Unfortunately it will have to wait another two days.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It is a great film and a riveting drama. I have the new blu-ray from Twilight but have not watched it yet. I was waiting for a moment where I could do so undisturbed and without distraction. No surprise to me how you feel about it, Ron.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
My first time seeing it was as a kid in my early teens on network television, "Saturday Night at the Movies" or some such.

My most recent viewing was in the final season (I think) of classic films in 35mm at the Lafayette Theatre, helmed by Peter Apruzzese. It was my most riveting experience yet.

Needless to say, my copy of the TT release is on its way.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm happy for you Ron as this is indeed a great film. I have my BD and will try to watch it this week and I'll be watching it again to listen to Nick Redman's and Julie Kirgo's commentary.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
A bit miscast in places, but still a powerful film. Nice job on it from TT.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Thanks so much for the kind words, Ron.

Robert: I'm afraid we didn't record a commentary for JUDGMENT - we didn't have time and opted to do BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ and BUNNY LAKE instead. I think we probably deep down felt that JUDGMENT speaks for itself and doesn't require any contextualization from us.

Hope you enjoy the disc anyway, though -- and your support is greatly appreciated.

All best,

Nick.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Twilight Time said:
Thanks so much for the kind words, Ron.

Robert: I'm afraid we didn't record a commentary for JUDGMENT - we didn't have time and opted to do BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ and BUNNY LAKE instead. I think we probably deep down felt that JUDGMENT speaks for itself and doesn't require any contextualization from us.

Hope you enjoy the disc anyway, though -- and your support is greatly appreciated.

All best,

Nick.
Oh well, I have those two BD titles too. :)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Ronald Epstein said:
...it is always such a milestone for me when I find a film like Judgment At Nuremberg.

I am just so grateful to have discovered this film...
And isn't that such a GREAT feeling, Ron?!

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Both Judgment at Nuremberg and Birdman of Alcatraz are representative of the films made at United Artists in the late 50's and 60's.
Unhappily, most of those films now belong to "MGM", which is giving them much less than the care and attention that they deserve.

I am noting that many people here haven't seen these two films in particular. This is indicative of the kind of exposure that they get from MGM, and a real shame.

Thanks to Twilight Time for their efforts to get them out.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
This movie had the misfortune of being released at the same year as another great United Artist production that it competed against during Oscar time, Ron...maybe you've heard of it...a little musical called "West Side Story"!!! :P

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
If I recall correctly back in the day Judgment at Nuremberg had more Oscar nominations than West Side story.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Paul Rossen said:
If I recall correctly back in the day Judgment at Nuremberg had more Oscar nominations than West Side story.
I thought they had the same number of nominations which is eleven, but I could be mistaken.

stevenHa

Second Unit
One thing most people might not notice is after the opening scenes of moving past wrecked buildings, there is a static shot of a wrecked church ? that is a well executed painting probably by Albert Whitlock.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
Yes, a great film. It reminds me how important Producer/Director Stanley Kramer was to me when I was a kid growing up during the late 50s/early 60s - his movies INHERIT THE WIND (1960), ON THE BEACH (1959), and THE DEFIANT ONES (1958), along with JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG (1961), might seem too preachy or obvious to some viewers today, but to a young boy watching these films they had quite an impact and have stayed with my for the rest of my life.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Wade Sowers said:
Yes, a great film. It reminds me how important Producer/Director Stanley Kramer was to me when I was a kid growing up during the late 50s/early 60s - his movies INHERIT THE WIND (1960), ON THE BEACH (1959), and THE DEFIANT ONES (1958), along with JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG (1961), might seem too preachy or obvious to some viewers today, but to a young boy watching these films they had quite an impact and have stayed with my for the rest of my life.
Same here. I too saw these movies as they premiered, and they have remained with me ever since. They are not easy to forget.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Robert Crawford said:
Who was miscast?
This is entirely a subjective opinion, but I did not care for Montgromery Clift in this film.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Who was miscast?
One critic referred to the film as "an all star concentration camp drama with special guest victim appearances". In retrospect, it would have probably served the film better do use less iconic actors in the film. Garland is very good but she is, indubitably, the great Judy Garland and we can never forget that watching the film. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "stunt casting" but after her very moving performance on the witness stand, my first thoughts were not of the character's pain and the horror she went through but "gosh, she's really a good actress, isn't she?" While all star casts are fun in movies like The Towering Inferno and The Poseidon Adventure, in a serious film like this it detracts from the story it's trying to tell. Fittingly perhaps, the film's best performance (and only acting Oscar winner) is Maxmiilian Schell, at the time, the least known member of the cast. He didn't carry the burden of "look at me, I'm a Movie Star and I'm acting".

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Of course, part of the reality is you needed names like Tracy, Dietrich, Widmark,Lancaster, Clift and Garland to get the money to get the movie made.

I remember seeing this for the first time as a kid and the shots from the camps really were an eye opened to a suburban boy from Toronto.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
And just to back that up, just checked in a couple of books including "United Artists: The Company That Changed the Film Industry", and "Pictures at a Revolution". Despite the cast, reviews and awards the film still lost money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks